Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort

4560 Hilton Corporate Drive I-70 at Hamilton Road exit 107 (Formerly "Holiday Inn"), Columbus, Ohio

Booking.com Tingo.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 35% more and rated 24% lower than other 3 star hotels

• 2012 Family Reunion

I read the reviews before making my reservations and decided initially against staying at the resort, but after some convincing from family that live near Fort Rapids I decided to stay and so glad I did. The room was very clean and the beds did not have any signs of bedbugs. The microwave, refrigerator and dryer were all very clean. On the first day however, my room did not get cleaned until after 2:30 p.m. but other than that all was well. Now on the other hand the conference rooms we reserved for our meet and greet and all following events, we had to constantly call housekeeping to clean up completely after we had initially picked up and threw away our garbage, all they needed to do was change the table cloths, vacuum the floors and clean the bathroom. Other than that our stay was wonderful. There was something for everyone.

Directions: Cheaper hotels are close by just in case you need one and shopping and other arcades are nearby as well.

• Bedbugs and Rude Staff

I took my family to this resort to enjoy some summer family fun. We definitely did not enjoy our stay at this resort and I assure you that we will never return. I will also be sure to let all of my friends, family, and associates know what a terrible experience that my family and I had while visiting your facility. Everything in the resort was closed at 7 and the restaurant and lounge were never open. I reserved a smoking room but was told upon arrival that there was no smoking in any of the rooms. I saw a small cockroach near the concession area which was the only place at the resort that we could get food. But worst of all my daughter woke up covered in bedbug bites. I took her to her pediatrician the next morning and he confirmed that they were indeed bedbug bites. When I called the resort manager to tell her what the doctor had said, she was very rude to me and acted as if I were lying. Next time I will make sure to go to the Great Wolf Lodge or CoCo Key Water Resort instead. I was told that these have much nicer facilities and friendly staff that are not rude to their customers.

More about Fort Rapids Indoor Waterpark Resort

Not friendly to Girl Scout Troops!

by TripAdvisor Member TLE5

If you are a Girl Scout troop or a 501(c)3 organization making reservations, be aware...

We had our end of the year party at Fort Rapids this year. When making reservations, they required a deposit. Troops rarily have VISA accounts, so I gave my own VISA number. When I asked if we could receive reimbursement for taxes for the troop, they stated that I would have to bring the tax ID number. When I arrived, they said that since I paid personally, they could not reimburse $19.44. If, however, the Girl Scouts could turn around and pay (again) for the entire event, they would go back and reimburse my VISA. Today, they left me a message stating that they needed the original, signed tax identification form. Girl Scouts can not provide original signed tax forms for all troops throughout Columbus. They are going to great lengths to keep their $19.44.

Overall, the experience at the water park was okay. I was unaware that in the Birthday Party Package each of our third grade girls would only receive one piece of pizza and one breadstick. I never received a formal document with everything spelled out. Get everything in writing, and beware of the catering department. The hotel staff, on the other hard, are accommodating. Good luck!

Great Waterpark - Bad Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member elykremraf

I've waited more than a month to write this review in order to be as objective as possible. My summary is that this is a great waterpark attached to a truly poor hotel.

We stayed at this hotel Dec. 26 - 27, 2006. This was our family's Christmas present, and we had been looking forward to it for quite some time. When we arrived, we found a extremely long line to get our park wristbands. When we finally got to the front, I asked about our room and was told to check back at 4:00 and they would have our keys for us. We were happy to have our wrisbands and our crew of Grandma, Grandpa, four parents, and three kids under age 3 headed off to swim.

I commented at the time that they seemed very understaffed, and that the desk clerk could have been a bit more friendly. Not a big deal, though, and we were really wanting to make the best of the situation.

We only had one minor issue at the waterpark. My three year old nephew was right at the minimum height for the big slides. Some guards let him on without a question, and some did not. They really should color code the bands upon entry to show whether or not a child can ride on the slides. It would make it much less subjective. Due to the holiday, the waterpark was jam packed. It was right at maximum capacity, but the lines were okay for most things. They needed more signs and directions in the waterpark, but that was just a minor thing.

At 4:00, I dried off and went to get our room key. The line was still very, very long, and when I finally made it to the front, they told me that they no longer had my suite available. I was less than thrilled. They tried to offer me an upgrade, but that suite had stairs which we had avoided due to my mother not being able to manage stairs. The clerk never came up with a good explanation as to why I was told at 1:00 PM to come back at 4:00 PM to get my key. The manager never had a good explanation as to why they didn't have our suite type available. At one point, they offered to downgrade our suite, but wanted to charge us more than we were paying originally. At this point, I told them that we were going to leave unless they made an exceptable offer, which they barely did. After 10+ minutes, they finally made an offer of a worse suite at a very slight discount (10%). I didn't want to drag my kids home, so I accepted it.

We headed by to our now over-crowded suite to find that the keys that they gave me at the desk didn't work. So, we hiked the whole way back and waited in the line again to get the keys. They didn't even apologize for the inconvenience.

So, we get into the room, which is a bit worn for a new hotel, but it will work. Everyone is hungry at this point, and we were very glad that we had made reservations at the restuarant. We get to the restaurant only to be told that the wait will be 30+ minutes. I explained that we had reservations and they said it would be at least 15. This was just a lie because it took 40 minutes to get seated. The service was terrible. Again, they appeared grossly understaffed. The meal was average, but the price was huge. Not a good experience.

We finally finished and headed back to the waterpark for some more fun.

Everyone slept well, but we were told the next morning my other guests that we were lucky to be on the first floor because the elevators had gone out the day before and everyone was having to carry luggage up and down the stairs. No staff of the hotel had even offered to assist.

The only friendly staff I encountered during the entire stay was the lady at the Starbucks that morning.

We left the room and headed back to the waterpark and swam until mid-afternoon when we headed for home.

I wish that the hotel experience could have been more in line with the waterpark experience.

Four star prices for a one star resort

by TripAdvisor Member traveling-clp

Water park was nice, staff friendly, and food very good, however hotel was not managed very well - many mechanical difficulities ( elevators slow or not working; poor water drainage from rooms; etc.) and below average cleanliness. Also noted slow service in lounge and restaurant.

Basketball weekend

by TripAdvisor Member debbiedoright

Really a fun place...great game room and water park.
We stayed in the Wyatt room and it needed a good spring cleaning job. The room wasn't clean. We would NOTstay in the old rooms again. We would try it again in the new section of the hotel. Beside the room we really like everything else.
The service was great. Really nice people thoughtout!

Nice Hotel, Fun Waterpark, but a few issues

by TripAdvisor Member kadorto

Pleasantly surprised by the extent of the renovations and the quality
of the water park. We had a great time and enjoyed our stay. The lifeguard staff seemed to be really..really..really..bored and some were not very attentive to their duties. Others were very friendly and seemed to be well qualified. Alcohol (beer, wine coolers) can be purchased in the water park but ID is required regardless of your age (or at least it was by our server). No big deal but seemed a little ridiculous given that it’s overly obvious that I'm way over 35 let alone 21. Security might be an issue. Unfortunately it looks like a bit of rif-raf was there during our stay and it was pretty obvious that they were not staying there. My guess is that someone let them sneak in. All in all...nice hotel, great water park, and overall a positive experience. Hopefully, they've been able to correct the negatives since our visit. Would stay there again and recommend others give it a try as well, at least for one night.

Don't stay here!

by TripAdvisor Member PATraveler65

This hotel is the pits. If you really want to experience the waterpark, buy day passes but make your room reservation at another hotel. As mentioned in some of the other reviews, they have a real problem with the elevators here. Be prepared to wait in very long lines. On one ocassion going up to my room on the 11th floor, the inner elevator doors opened, but the outer ones didn't - very scary. The guest rooms in the tower smell very mildew-y. Cigarette odor comes through the bathroom vents. A friend's room had no hot water, and the water that did come out of the showerhead was brown. Two of my companions requested wake-up calls but never received them. Another one didn't have an alarm clock in her room. My room wasn't serviced as of 5:00 p.m. on one of the days I was there. The girl who finally showed up to clean my room had terrible body odor. Several of my companions took washcloths and wiped the dust off of the furniture in their rooms. None of the rooms have the standard hotel/local information booklet or TV channel listing (I suppose they figure you don't want to go anywhere else during your stay here.) One evening, my husband tried calling me 4 times, but the front desk never answered. The next night, someone did answer, but they couldn't find my name and swore I wasn't a guest there. The restaurant is supposed to open at 6:30 a.m., but when I showed up at that time, they told me it would be another 10 minutes before they were "ready." I travel a good deal for both business and pleasure, and this place was definitely the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Never again.

Reconsider Staying Here If You want to Relax

by TripAdvisor Member krazyhombre

We stayed here because the hotel was contracted as part of a one week confernece I attended. The hotel looks nice from the outside but once inside your room, you might be in for a surprise. Since this place has in indoor pool park, there are children of all ages running up and down the hallways from dawn to 10-11 p.m. The hallway always seems to invite the other guest to talk loudly throughout the day/evening. Our room door did not keep out the hallway lights as there were large gaps due to no insulation around the door frame. The weekend maid service was good but the Monday-Friday crews were less than friendly or reliable. If we left our "do not disturb" sign on the door when the weekday crew make their 9:00 a.m. morning rounds, we did not get room service that day (several times we were out of the room by noon and removed the sign from our door but to no avail). I even gave a tip to the evening room service staff to see if I could arrange for room cleaning at a set hour, 9:00 a.m., but the clearning staff did not show up until 5:45 p.m.) The bathrooms are very small. We did get our preference for smoking room and the lobby staff were friendly.
The restaurant food was good but a little pricey.

Overall I would say this is probably the worst hotel we have ever stayed in! I would not recommend this hotel if you want to rest during the day or expect average or better room service.

Don't go Standard

by TripAdvisor Member auntybren

Stayed for two days in this older Holiday Inn/renovated into waterpark. Kids love it for its western theme, and don't see the shabbiness of the older hotel rooms. Waterpark more suitable to younger children, my 14 y/o was bored after 2 hours. No large swimming pool within waterpark. Lifeguards everywhere, doing a wonderful job. Overall staff was very attentive. Stayed in the "tower" room which is the older part of the hotel. Window curtain partially torn off and hanging sideways upon arrival. Room was clean. The breakfast buffet is a ripoff even with the kids eat free coupon. Plenty of fast food and nicer restaurants in the adjacent area. Easy access to interstates and local activites, COSI, Easton, etc. Would attempt stay here again in a villa, all new or as someone else suggested, buy waterpark tickets for the day only, buy well in advance, short supply.

Great place!

by TripAdvisor Member lamberh

We went to this waterpark after a horrible experience in Indianapois at Carribbean Cove. This place is like night and day difference. It was very easy to check in, people were nice, and it was not crowded and chaotic. It had a lot of slides, and was well spaced out and clean. Aside from a few snotty lifeguards, everyone was great and it was such a good time. The rooms are a little small and the elevators slow, but overall, I definitely would go again. There is just such a variety and it is very neat.
Thank you.

Save your money and go to Great Wolf Lodge!!!

by TripAdvisor Member ReginaD

The short review: Poor hotel, poor lifegurads, poor customer service. Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky is a much better value and is run so much better than this place. Don't waste your money.

Now for the long review:

We visited this hotel at the last minute so I didn't have a chance to read the reviews. I wish I had!

The hotel was very run down. They built the waterpark on to an existing old hotel. Our room had 2 nice beds, but the bathroom was about to fall apart. The grout was coming out everywhere and the knobs in the shower were broken. The toilet barely flushed. There were only 2 very slow elevators working. There was a 3rd one that apparently hasn't worked in a long time (scary!). This made for long wait times to get up to our 5th floor room. My husband waited 45 minutes on the day of checkout in order to get our cart of luggage down to the lobby.

The waterpark was pretty cool. However, the staff in there was terrible. They were very rude and the lifeguards were hardly looking at the water. I would not trust them to monitor anyone. I was surprised that there were no major injuries. There did not appear to be any management on duty. The staff stood around gawking at teenage girls and making comments to them.

The evening we were there the watepark closed at 9:00. At 9:00 there were no towels. The guy behind the counter said he was going to to go to housekeeping to get more. After waiting several minutes -- we left with our 3 kids, 8, 4, 1 to freeze until we could get back to our room. Guess who we saw pushing a trash can around in the hallway? Yes, it was the towel guy. He never planned to come back at all. It was just a lie so he wouldn't have to tell us there were no towels. Some people had been waiting for 20 minutes for a towel. Then we waited about 10 minutes just to get an elevator up to our floor. There were several rude people cutting around the line and pushing into the elevators. There were no security guards monitoring the situation.

Making the reservation should have been enough to tell me not to go there. It took 4 calls to get our room confirmed. Once because they don't book the stuff themselves so I had to call their reservation line. Next, I had to call the hotel back directly because the reservations people did not know if we could use the waterpark the day of checkout. 3rd call was back to reservations after we confirmed we could swim the next day...only to be told because we were a family of 5 (one under the age of 2) we had to book the room DIRECTLY with the hotel because the manager had to approve it for fire regulations. I told the person at the hotel on my first call we were a family of 5 with one under the age of 2 and she never said a word. She just gave me the number for reservations. My 4th call was back to the very first person I spoke with and she booked the room once I told her what they had said. Her advice for future visits, don't tell the booking people that there will be 5 in the
room if one is under 2. Always just say 4. Nice....

The Thoreau LakeThe Thoreau Lake

Art Adorns an Old Brick Highrise in Columbus, OHArt Adorns an Old Brick Highrise in Columbus, OH

Jury Room Beer Hall, German Village, Columbus, OHJury Room Beer Hall, German Village, Columbus, OH

A sample of Dale Chihuly’s glass artworkA sample of Dale Chihuly’s glass artwork

Comments