75 E State St, Columbus, Ohio, 43215, United States
Expedia.com Sheraton.com Booking.com

More about Hyatt on Capitol Square

Great location, amenities, & staff

by TripAdvisor Member MsMondo

We were so impressed with our stay at the Hyatt. We were escorted to a large room with a beautiful view of the Capitol building. The bathroom was roomy with double sinks, everything was very clean and the beds were comfortable. Close to the highway & easy to get to & from.

Even though we were in for a football game with little time to spare, I managed to take advantage of the awesome exercise room with the same view of the Capitol, tv monitors, great variety of machines & weights, and clean, fully-stocked locker rooms!

The valet was $21/day to park, but they offer a very affordable parking garage a block away that's attached to the hotel & shopping plaza. I think it cost us $9 for the entire weekend. We took a cab to campus that was about $12.

The hotel also has a nice little bar with free popcorn and typical bar menu food, but service was very slow while we were there. There's also no mini-fridge's in the room, but other than these minor things, it was a great stay!

Nice Hotel, but no pool

by TripAdvisor Member tnelson

The hotel was very nice. The beds were very comfortable and room service was accomodating. Be aware that there is no pool at this hotel and I would suggest using the valet parking. This is located downtown. The connecting mall was a ghost town. A lot of the stores have closed. Great for a business stay, but not for leisure if you plan on shopping.

Great hotel, but valet service is awful

by TripAdvisor Member ChicagoJ

The Hyatt on Capitol Square is a great hotel in an outstanding location. The staff is excellent and the hotel is very well maintained. We only had one meal in the Plaza Restaurant, but it was excellent (but overpriced as you would expect). My only issue with this hotel was the valet service. It was very slow in general, but mass check-in and check-out along with a large event at the Convention Center led to system failure. 1 1/2-2 hour waits for the valet to retrieve your vehicle at a 400 room hotel in a small city like Columbus is unacceptable. And the management of the hotel had no idea how to rectify the problem and placate the guests. I would stay here again, but either park the rental car myself or rely on cabs to get around.

Great hotel, Great staff except housekeeping

by TripAdvisor Member ElizBC

I stayed here Feb 25 - Mar 1 while in Columbus for the Ohio Bar Exam. The hotel is very nice looking, well furnished, and the front desk and room service people could not be more helpful and friendly. The room was well-appointed, but there was a strange mini-bar on the side of the room - old wood cabinets, seemed like maybe a leftover of a previous renovation.

The workout room is fantastic. It is on the 22nd floor, the treadmills have private TVs, the machines look brand new, there is a water dispenser and there are towels to use while you work out.

The housekeeping is another story. Day 1, I was studying all day, so I kept the room private all day. Day 2, I returned from the bar exam to find they had not replaced the coffee I had used the previous day! Day 3, I spoke to the front desk about the lack of coffee, and returned from the bar exam to find they did replace the coffee - with another decaf! I now had 2 decafs. Lovely. They seemed to only make the beds, not even a vacuum.

Overall, great hotel, great location, great service, odd houskeeping.

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member freq_travels_029

Check-in had bookings incorrect, but we did get that straightened out or so I thought until the bill from from credit card came (my fault I didn't check the bill during check out). Went out for dinner downtown (lovely) then hotel bar. Pool / billiards seemed out of place and loud our party left and had coffee in our rooms. Next morning, since I had used all the coffee the night before I went downstairs only to find out the cofee vendor nor restuarant had coffee until 6:30 am (on a Friday morning). Hotel had stated we possibly could hear fire drill testing - Which of course we did during breakfast - Actual fire pesonnel and equipment arrived - never informed of problem. Tried to check out and check baggage at concierge but never could find even asking at front desk and they said they would get someone. Others in our group were able to check their bags with front desk people. All in all a messed up trip. Hotel structure and location were great - the services were not.

Great Experience

by TripAdvisor Member dshamb

My boyfriend and I were visiting the Columbus area for a concert and had heard through a friend that the Hyatt was a nice place to stay. There were no hassels when we checked in at all. The lobby is very nice. The staff was very informative on the area, and even suggested a great place for us to have a wonderful dinner. Once we arrived in our room the room was very nice. Very clean, and accomidating for our needs. Shortly after we got settled in the desk even called us to see if there was anything we needed, and if everything was ok. That evening we even visited the sports bar in the lobby for a night cap, and the staff there was very friendly also. Checking out was easy as well. I highly recommened the valet parking. It is cheap, and much easier then trying to find a spot to park downtown. The next time I visit the Columbus area I will definatly be spending at this hotel. I have read the other reviews of this hotel on the [--] website, but do not agree with some of them. I found nothing dirty or unkept in our room at all, and everything worked. No problems!!!

Perfect for a concert visit

by TripAdvisor Member tdijetta

My family and I were in Columbus for one night for a concert at the Palace theater and this hotel was perfect. The theater was in walking distance which was great! We reserved a "quiet" room with a crib and I was surprised to see that we actually got it! The crib was set up when we arrived. Even the room service was quick and worth the money. Parking was $21 but that is what I expect when valet parking in any urban hotel. Our car was retrieved very quickly too. All in all, an above average experience.

Really a subpar hotel...not up to Hyatt standards

by TripAdvisor Member bw331

The Hyatt on Capitol Square is directly across from the Ohio Statehouse, making it very convenient for anyone conducting business at the Statehouse. The location is good. Pretty much everything else is so-so or worse.

Check in was a nightmare because of several large groups using the hotel and then my room wasn't ready (and this was at 5pm in the afternoon). Once I finally got my room, it was so-so, nothing too special. The hotel restaurant is simply terrible. Bad food, small menu, and overpriced. On the other hand, the hotel gym, is excellent and is the only shining part of the hotel.

The hotel is connected to Columbus City Center mall, which at one point was a major shopping destination. Now it is nearly completely deserted. That's the general theme of downtown Columbus, desertion. So if you don't have to stay downtown, I wouldn't. And if you do, I'd think hard before staying at this hotel.

Comments