Econo Lodge Eaton

More about Dayton

Wright Brothers MonumentWright Brothers Monument

Boeing B-29 "Bockscar" Ended WWIIBoeing B-29 "Bockscar" Ended WWII

Fifth St in the Oregon DistrictFifth St in the Oregon District

The Newcom Tavern, Dayton's oldest buildingThe Newcom Tavern, Dayton's oldest building

Travel Tips for Dayton

Hey Bubba, look out for the ice!

by kdoc13

Do not be alarmed if someone calls you Bubba or Sugah. For some reason, people from Kentucky all decided to move north and live in Dayton. So, even though it is Ohio, you get this southern town kind of feel to it. And if you grew up in the north like I did, it can be a bit of a culture shock.

As a result, you will see strange things that northerners just don't have to deal with. for example, when I first got to Dayton, I wondered why all of the sinks in the restrooms were so high. Well, I was told that it was because people come in from the hills and think it is for urinating in! I am serious, no lie! Newer establishments have lower ones, but don't be surprised when you see a high one.

Second thing you will notice is that there are a lot of bad drivers here. Not as bad as Detriot, but probably Washington DC is closer to this. They think the highways are for NASCAR. Which by the way, if you speak NASCAR, you are home free! Just go with it though, and if someone flies you the bird on the highway, remember, Ohio is now a conceal and carry state.

The worst part about driving here is the winter. No one knows how to drive on snow or ice. And since we get more ice than snow, it gets pretty slick.

Also, expect the usual Southern things. You will get assauted by crazed Baptist preachers who think that being Catholic or any Non-Baptist church is a one way ticket to shake hands with Satan! Expect to be invited to a revival where you can hear sermons against women in shorts. Expect more country music than you can handle, and be very prepared for Confederate flags, NASCAR, and a very conservative atmosphere. If you weren't crazy about the George Bush years, Dayton may not be the place for you.

Miamisburg Mound

by kdoc13

It's dirt, but not just dirt, its a big pile of dirt like you have never seen before!

It is actually an ancient Indian burial mound. If my memory serves me correctly it is the second largest in the USA or something. Don't quote me on that though. It was constructed roughly 800 BC to 100 AD, and is really just a large pile of dirt, if not for the significance. The park district can answer all of your questions about it, if you need to know specifics. But, it is a five minute site to see in Dayton

Miamisburg Mound is on Mound Avenue, one mile south of exit 44 - State Route 725 - and three miles west of exit 42 off I-75

Foy's Rock & Roll Grill - Main Street, Fairborn

by Ewingjr98

$2.50 for a quarter pound hamburger? $3.50 for a half pound of meat? What a deal, and what a great dive. No doubt this is the best place in town. How do I know? About half of the locals in town were here for lunch on a Monday!

We were drawn in by the red neon in the narrow building facing the town's short Main Street. Once inside we grabbed one of the last remaining booths by the door. The waitress quickly got our drink orders while we scanned the menu, then we ordered their standard burgers and fries. The food was out in about 15 minutes... the burger was thick and juicy with lots of fresh toppings, and the fries were crisp and lightly seasoned.

Some of the unique decor in the establishment includes a full-size Elvis statue and two Harleys.

Just down the block is Foy's Halloween Store, which doesn't look like much from the outside, but it claims the state of Ohio's largest collection of Halloween costumes and supplies.

The Pine Club

by kdoc13 about The Pine Club

The Pine Club has the reputation for the best steak in Dayton. There are stories of Presidents who have waited in line there, and how some celebs order it to go and have their "people" Pick it up for them if they are nearby. It's very good. I like it. I am not saying it is the best steak ever, but it is very very good.

As a student at the University of Dayton, I get to go to the Pine Club a lot! Not because I am a student, but because I am close. I actually took out a student loan to be able to afford places like this while going for my law degree. Not a great idea as far as debt goes, but quite a tasty way to get through college. I love the Porterhouse, but it'll run ya 26 bucks. One of the tricks of the Pine club is the carryout. You can get one of the best hamburgers ever to go, priced under ten or a steak sandwich for about 13 with all the trimmings. All the kids at UD do that at least once. (Go Flyers!)

Octoberfest Beer and Crafts Fair Vandalia, OH

by Steph6150

In Vandalia, OH, north of Dayton on 75, in October there is a Octoberfest fair set up at the old shooting range by the airport on old 40 (National Rd.) It's fun with booths set up with german food and pastries and of course..BEER. There is a large tent set up just by the road for the stage and POLKAS. Some of the dancers are dressed in german folk wear, but the majority of the people are in jeans. In one tent there are casino machines and tables set up for rounds of poker. Other tents have crafts, crap etc..Just for the atmosphere and beer it's pretty fun.

Comments