401 Baltimore Street, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, 17325, United States

Satisfaction Poor

More about Farnsworth House Inn

Email Billing

When you go to their website to make a room reservation with your credit card its secured transaction.( At least I think it is). When Farnsworth Inn sends you a confirmation Email for the reservation by Email, to you they include your entire credit card information/ number,/exp. date, everything... instead of deleting it out OR even partially deleting the credit card number. A MAJOR PROBLEM! Other than this our stay was a passing grade.

Nice rooms - ends there!

Rooms were very nice. Beyond that, we found virtually every aspect wanting. Food overpriced, staff lukewarm to nasty, breakfast meal is fixed - no choices and when they run out of breakfast fruit, sorry, that's all there is!! Shower instantly switches hot/cold. Returned from dinner Sat. night at 10PM to have a nightcap in the on-premise tavern - locked shut! It's a good thing the town and battlefields are interesting or it would have been a real bust.

Somebody should call "ghostbusters"

Visited recently, went to the dinner theater. Food was good but the compliments end there. didn't take us long to realize that we had been ripped off on the "package deal" otherwise known as their dinner theater. We had to eat in the bar and then went to the same presentation on ghosts we could have seen for about seven dollars, we paid about "thirty" seven!! I think if we would have eaten in the restaurant we could have done so cheaper even with tickets bought separtely. The walking tour wasn't nearly as good as it had been when we were there about four years ago. Our first time in the cellar;it was okay but we probably won't return, the stories were a corny. Their standards have obviously dropped. Next time we'll go straight for the Game Pie and skip the "ghost game".

Best Experience

by TripAdvisor Member toried

My husband and I stayed at the Farnworth a little over a year ago.
After reading the mixed reviews, I thought I would send in my opinion.
We absolutely loved our three night stay. We stayed in the Sarah Black room, which we found comfortable and beautifully furnished. The staff was the friendliest and most helpful we have ever met at any bed and breakfast, and we've stayed at many. The breakfast each morning was delicious, and the dinner we had at the restaurant was superb. I would never stay anywhere else in Gettysburg, and we do plan to return soon.
The Farnsworth is loaded with historical charm, and its location in town made walking tours convenient. As far as ghostly encounters, we experienced several unexplained incidents. However, nothing that made me feel uncomfortable or frightened - just enough to arouse my interest.

Farnsworth House was OK, I guess ...

We've visited Gettysburgh a couple of times now and have always had a wonderful time. We were so excited to be staying in the Sarah Black room, thinking that it would make this trip that much more memorable ... and it did. We were kept up all night, not by ghosts but by the traffic outside and the noisy clock right outside our door that chimed every quarter hour. The windows were so flimsy that we could hear every word being said by people walking down the street. Not exactly a relaxing vacation. The food at the Farnsworth was good and the staff was nice (although hard to find sometimes), but the trip overall was pretty disappointing.

On a scale of one to ten? Three.

Brought extended family up to do walks here. Have done them other places in Gettysburg with little or no complaints, wish I could say the same here. Least "customer" friendly staff of all other tours taken; seemed to care more about socializing with each other than those of us who had traveled and bought tickets with them. Our storyteller (although costumed well) wore and earring ....would have been alright if it were a woman, but I don't think any Civil War gentleman wore earrings! Was not impressed with the cigarette smoking either. Their stories were okay but quite honestly, I was embarrassed in front of our guests at the constant digs about their competition. Who cares? We came to hear ghost stories not local gossip. My advice? Take a walk over the battlefield and skip the tour here.

Disappointed!

This past weekend we had dinner at the Farnsworth. We were there a year ago. This time we were a party of four. What a difference a year makes. My meal was not so great. The ham was ever so thin and not too hot. Two of us had the pot roast. It was sliced with a razor and "cold". The only thing that was good was the sweet potato pudding and the pumpkin fritters. Otherwise, an overall disappointment. We will not return. We did on the other hand have a great meal at the Cashtown that weekend. I highly recommend that establishment.

Ghost walk great, Tavern service poor

Farnsworth house events proved both poor and interesting. My boyfriend and I ate at the Farnsworth House Tavern and the service was terrible. We sat ourselves and waited for 15-20 minutes before were waited on. Others tables seated after us were served first! Turkey and steak were fair, but had to ask for rolls and other items supposed to be served with meal.
We attended both the Cellar Stories and the Ghost Tour. Cellar is creepy and comical at same time, but was fun to learn the stories of the Farnsworth House. Highlights were a tin "postcard" picture of dead child near a child's casket and wreaths with the hair of dead people woven into them.
Our Ghost Tour guide (Betty) was dressed like a widow and had authentic-sounding southern accent. Tour group was too many people but some left throughout the night. Betty liked the gory details. One of the more gruesome stories about the orphanage was told well. We went on the "Cemetary Hill" tour. The Highlight was "the grove," where we were warned that our cameras wouldn't work! My camera's screen reset to #1 after I'd taken 10 pictures...haven't developed them but wonder if they will turn out. A woman's digitial camera completely died in the grove, even though she had a freshly-charged battery. When we went back to the Farnsworth house it worked again.
Weren't impressed with the Tavern's service but my boyfriend wants to stay...maybe in the Sarah Black room.

interesting....

My husband and I were there in October. We had dinner with my in-laws. The service is not too fabulous, people more interested in local gossip than paying customers. What I thought was great was the fact that I had an experience with a spirit. There is a walkway outside leading into the bar area. I had a "feeling" that I should "take a picture" , I looked into this window and tried to snap a shot and I couldn't. I tried several times. Only when I stepped outside of the walkway fenced in area could I snap a shot. I walked back in and couldn't again. I would hope someday to return only and "hopefully" for the ghostly experience and not to expect the excellent customer service given elsewhere.

I hope to return soon ...

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Farnsworth Inn the week before the big Re-enactment Week (4th of July). We stayed in the Jennie Wade room (one of the haunted rooms). As far as rooms go, I was happy with our room. It was very hot (they do not run their window units unless guests turn them on). We immediately turned on the AC to cool down the room. We were told we could turn on the AC in the sitting room as well, but be sure to turn it off when we were not using it. Other than that, we were happy with our room (remember, this is an old inn so don't expect pristine conditions). Also, be aware that the hot water is HOT. They must have an old plumbing system too. :) Our breakfast the next day was very good. We had eggs, bacon, toast, danishes, coffee, juice and fruit. Our server was very friendly and even offered to mail our postcards for us. Regarding hauntings ... our room was indeed haunted. Within 15 minutes of entering our room a picture frame (on a wall with 5 other pictures) began swinging back and forth like a pendulum. My boyfriend thought it was the air current from the AC, but I blocked the AC and the picture never stopped moving. It kept a steady pace for about 15 minutes before slowing and stopping. No other pictures on the wall moved and there was no one walking outside our door, etc. (causing any vibrations). Later that night, one corner of our room (near the Jennie Wade photo) had a fowl odor. It would come and go in that corner. Also that night, while I was enjoying the big clawfoot tub, my boyfriend said that the decorative bird cage in our room started swinging for no reason. The next morning when we returned to our room after breakfast to pack our bags, there was a sudden scent of flowers in our room which soon faded. I enjoyed our stay and I plan to return and try out another haunted room.

Comments