Hocking Hills State Park Hotels

Our Members Say

• TondaR profile photo TondaR

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Franks country cabin: Awesome cabin and grounds

Franks country cottage was great. We arrived on Friday to a very nice piece of property. Everything was clean and comfy. Frank met us at the the cottage,started a fire out back for us and then showed us his workshop. It was like we were his family. He showed us his monster catfish he raised in the pond and fed them for us. This was a very cool experience to those who love to see nature in action.I can not tell you what a wonderful man frank is, because you will have to see for yourself. I would love to stay there again sometime soon. We went to old mans cave and it was awesome. We went and did a night time zipline, awesome. Please go to Frank's you will Love It!!!

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, National/State Park, Horse Riding
  • Written October 14, 2013

• kl4life2 profile photo kl4life2

Springwood Cabins: Horrible Experience - Owners ruin Honeymoon

My wife and I stayed at Springwood Cabins before and actually had a good time -- while we were there the first time they were building the new cabin on the property.

We moved out West and came back to Ohio to get married. We had both fallen inl ove with Hocking Hills and decided to take a three night honeymoon in the new cabin -- how cool, right?

Wrong.

The first thing I noticed when trying to unload our luggage was there was no defined space at the new cabin to park our vehicle. I mean really -- there is no defined space. Having just received a piece of $300 luggage for our wedding we didn't want to try and lug everything down a muddy hill about 500-800 feet to the cabin. So I got out of the car and looked around -- I noticed a trail that had been worn down by vehicles and decided to pull up to unload our luggage. I did move a log, but didn't think it was a big deal as I could see a defined area where other vehicles had parked.

I wasn't planning on parking in this location just needed to unload and I was going to move it back up the hill and park in the other cabin's parking spot. I really had no idea where to park -- all the other cabins on the property you pull right up to the cabin -- this one I wasn't sure.

After carrying my first load of groceries and luggage to the cabin - I came back out and noticed my wife talking to someone near our vehicle. When I approached, I was informed by an older woman with a broom (not sure who she was at the moment) that I couldn't park there. When I told her I didn't know where to park she showed me the area where you are supposed to park. She told me I could unload, but I needed to get out of there asap in case it rains I wouldn't make it up the hill. We told her that we will unload and park where she told us to park. We grabbed the rest of the luggage and came back out to get the groceries a moment later.

When I came back out I was confronted by an older dark haired woman, on a lawn mower, who screamed at me, "What in the hell possessed you to come down here?"(I won't put it in all caps, but envision it -- classy!!!) I looked at my wife as she was instantly upset. We’re exhausted and were not trying to cause any trouble. My wife told her that we are going to park in the parking space the other lady told us to park. She continued to yell as us and ask us why we would park there.

Then I told the woman that there was no defined area to park and I wasn't going to lug all my stuff 800 feet to the cabin. She then swore at me and said, "I can make sure you don't have that problem ever again..." I am still not sure what she meant by this -- I assume it wasn't a death threat, but instead a threat to kick us out?

The other lady at this point told the lady on the lawn mower to just come with her.

We really were taken a back at this point. Thinking this was just a bad misunderstanding (or lack of communication on their end of where to park), but it wasn't worth the rude behavior we were receiving. I understand if you don't want someone to park somewhere, but define a space for the cabin to park. (put up a sign)

So after the woman said she could solve our problem she swore at us a couple of other times--and then started her lawn mower and threw up her hands. I was totally dumbfounded again -- wow-- I've never allowed anyone to treat me like this before, but not wanting to ruin the honeymoon any more than it already was I just moved the car and came back into the cabin.

After that whole situation, my wife and I were never really comfortable staying in the cabin.

The cabin itself is nice and most things are new. The bed is a murphy bed (comes out of the wall) and isn't big enough to sleep two adults comfortable.

I had prepared to cook a nice meal on the grill -- the grill barely works -- it can't cook a piece of chicken if its life depended on it. So that was a bust.

The next day went relatively smooth as we had no sighting of the two women. Then the following morning, I noticed the women riding around on their lawn mowers near our cabin. Not sure what to make of it -- I just went along with my business.The riding continued on and off for about an hour or two. I am not sure if they were cleaning other cabins or what, but they were riding through the same area that they told us we couldn't park and making us feel uncomfortable as it felt like they were watching us while we were in the hot tub.

So instead of staying the night there we decided to leave a day early and find a place closer to the airport.

The owners are so rude -- it made this place terrible. I am not a person to complain, but this experience matches some of the other ones I read. Listen, there are better options out there -- if you run into the owners and sneeze the wrong way they might threaten you and swear at you too.

Just beware -- you've been warned!

Newer cabin.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Travel with Pets, Hiking and Walking
  • Written October 23, 2011

• runswithpencil profile photo runswithpencil

Hocking Hills Serenity Cabins: Serenity Cabins of Hocking Hills

Water stinks from sulfur. Can't wash, shower, or do dishes without filling the whole cabin with the smell of sewer gas.
No amenities, no complimentary coffee, tea, or even fire wood.
No deck comforts.
Cheap everything! Plastic cups, one wine glass.
Definitely not a place for a romantic getaway.
Would rather sleep in a tent.

No remuneration, not interested in replying to complaints.

Very nice construction. I'm sure they spent a lot for these cabins.

• Related to: Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written October 20, 2010

• RexFlowers profile photo RexFlowers

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Springwood Cabins - on Black Jack Road: Hocking Hills Springwood Cabins - STAY AWAY!!!

These are the rudest people I've ever come across. We come to the area annually, and always stay somewhere different, dependent on the size of our group.

After arriving, we had someone come by to "check the hot tub", although I actually believe she was doing a headcount. They quickly identified that we had two children under two years old, and informed us that we would be charged an extra $30 per night for them. For a 9-week old and a 20 month old. When I asked for more information on the policy I was told, "You can leave."

Since they advertise that they provide firewood, I asked for a bundle. We brought some but could use the additional to get us started. They were very rude in their response, and grudgingly brought us some.

We love this area and plan to return, but will never stay at the Springwood Cabins again.

If you're looking for wasps, this is your place. We killed over a dozen wasps in two days. Inside the cabin.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written October 19, 2010

• suziqart profile photo suziqart

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Tranquil Retreat Cabins: Worst customer service I've ever experienced!!

I was a guest at one of the Tranquil Retreat Cabins in April, along with three of my best friends. The cabin was beautiful and seemed to be very well taken care of. The scenery was beautiful as well. However, I think it was the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I was extremely offended by how my friends and I were treated during our stay.
The purpose of our stay was to celebrate the 27th birthday of my closest friend. The whole thing was a surprise for her. The lady at the office was very rude and suspected that we were trying to hide more people in the cabin than are allowed. She blew weeks of secrecy when she made a comment, in front of the birthday girl, that there better not be anybody else at the cabin besides the two girls who had already arrived. It had been explained to this lady multiple times that it was a small get together between four best friends to celebrate a surprise birthday. She didn’t even let us sign the bill the night we arrived because she was so sure that we were breaking the rules. She sped down to the cabin that night thinking she was going to find a huge party. She even threatened us that if other people arrived she would call the police. We had no such intentions. She drove by multiple times that night only to find the four of us drinking beers on the porch. We felt discriminated against as young adults. We range in age from 27-30 and are all successful young professionals and world travelers! We felt as if we were being treated as irresponsible high school students who needed supervision.
I understand that she may have had bad experiences in the past with young renters, BUT, that is no excuse for how we were treated. I will never stay at Tranquil Retreat Cabins again. They were very unprofessional and rude.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written May 24, 2010

• cyberhost profile photo cyberhost

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Old Man's Cave Chalets: Best Hocking Hills Cabins!

We visted the Hocking Hills this fall and stayed in a cabin from Old Man's Cave Chalets. They have several people working in their office and they were very friendly and helpful. We stayed in the Couple's Paradise and it was beautiful. I was even able to surprise my wife by having a dozen roses waiting in our cabin for her! If you want to bring back the romance in your marriage, you need to stay at the chalets!

Guest Swimming pool, recreation area, great views, romantic add on packages!

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written November 22, 2009

Inside the Couple's Paradise

• Eztobe profile photo Eztobe

Hocking Hills resort: Hocking Hills worst lodging

Booked a two day stay from an impressive website. That was where the impressive ended. After signing a lenghty lease to stay there, no one was present on the day we arrived. We wern't the only guests that day. We sat in the parking lot for four hours until a person to check us in could be found. Our cabin was switched from the romantic looking one we booked to a hidious green decor unit that totally ruined the stay. We left after one night and forfeited our money. Hocking Hills has plenty of other more guest friendly and professionally run lodgings available. With this type of management you are rolling the dice every stay.

Great Website. It ends there

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Hiking and Walking, Road Trip
  • Written September 20, 2009

• morphydoo profile photo morphydoo
  • Reviews: 2

Holiday Inn Express Logan Ohio: Hocking Hills State Park Visit

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Logan Ohio yet another time for the Labor Day Holiday Weekend and Absolutely LOVE this place. Centrally located as stated before (last years trip) clean, friendly staff, great pool, really NICE hot breakfast (Free too boot) and best of all comfortable....

However, the HOT TUB was anything but hot! Left a note with the manager that they NEED to turn up the heat but otherwise everything was really nice... the pool was a GREAT thing after a long day of hiking. If you've never been to Hocking Hills you need to book that room and get on the road - there are MANY places to hike and really amazing things to see....

Thanks again Holiday Inn Express Logan WE really appreciate your hospitality.

Denise & Joe Smith

GREAT STAFF, CLEAN, COMFY GREAT HOT BREAKFAST

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: National/State Park, Arts and Culture, Festivals
  • Written September 6, 2009

• suznelson profile photo suznelson

Frank's Country Cottage: Hocking Hills Treasure

We rented the cabin for 3 days in August of 2009. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised by the cabin/cottage. The cabin is absolutely beautiful and extremely clean. When we arrived, Frank the cottage owner met us and showed us the cabin and asked if there was anything we needed. We were running late and when we called Frank, he asked if there was anything he could do for us. He suggested building a fire in the fire pit for us. It was awesome to arrive to a burning fire. My son was outside with marshmallows and a stick within 5 minutes upon arrival!

The cabin sit's on 40 acres with private wooded hiking trails and a stocked fishing pond (catch & release). The upstairs loft has 2 double beds and there is a pull out couch downstairs. The furniture is beautiful and comfortable. It definitely feels like home. The kitchen has everything you need to cook a meal (gas grill outside also). Outside there are two decks that run around the cabin. One with a wooded view and the other with a lake view. The evenings are peaceful and relaxing. We sat in the hot tub each night we were there and watched the sun set. Falling asleep each evening listening to the sounds of nature was heavenly!

We visited the state parks and attractions which is the primary reason for our visit. But we kept finding ourselves wanting to get back to the cabin to fish or hike the trails. Frank, the cabin owner, was extremely kind & hospitable. He made sure our every need was taken care of. I can't say enough about our stay here. We will definitely be back! The kids are already planning the next trip and we will definitely be staying at Frank's cabin again!

Secluded location, stocked fishing pond, wooded hiking trails, awesome hot tub, CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN!!!

• Related to: Family Travel, Hiking and Walking, Fishing
  • Written August 20, 2009

• ARobin profile photo ARobin

Wrens Nest: Lazy Lane Cabins

We went down to the Hocking Hills and rented a cabin from Lazy Lane Cabins. I was pleasantly surprised to find our Cabin; "Wrens Nest" was down a Lazy Lane! Wrens Nest is tucked into the trees, just an idyllic setting, very romantic.
The cabin is perfect for two people to relax and spend time together. The deck had a wonderful hot tub that stayed at a constant temperature even after soaking for what seemed like hours. We hiked the trails in the area and the topography is just amazing. When you are out there away from everything you really are reminded of what is important. Our stay was much to short at two nights, next time we will definitely plan a little more time. Still if two days is all I can get I'll take it anytime!

Very Secluded
Super Clean - even in the middle of the woods

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Hiking and Walking, National/State Park
  • Written December 4, 2008

Our Cabin in the Woods!

• morphydoo profile photo morphydoo
  • Reviews: 2

Holiday Inn Express Logan, Ohio: Location Location Location

Holiday Inn Express was centrally located to most all the major Hocking Hills Forest Attractions. Staff was super friendly.... rooms were kept very clean on a daily basis.....

Breakfast was convenient, saved both time and money. Pool and hot tub were AWESOME especially after a long day of hiking the trails..... rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, National/State Park, Family Travel
  • Written September 1, 2008

• truwebs profile photo truwebs

Getaway Cabins: Great Cabin Accommodations

With all of our trips we have stayed at Getaway Cabins. Friendly owners with clean and cozy accommodations

Private and secluded Hot Tub getaways in the woods.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Hiking and Walking, Family Travel
  • Written February 21, 2008

Our engagement cabin

• ladycat23 profile photo ladycat23

Settle Down Cabin: Cabin Rental

Extremely clean cabin, possibly a new build or remodel.

Would not recommend for following reasons
1. Not as private as website (Settle Down Cabin) indicates - main road in view as well as neighbors house
2. Only 1 channel on tv ( cartoons), remote did not work
3. Upstairs loft has no railing to prevent children from walking off edge onto 1st floor
4. "Private" hot tub was only private due to privacy fencing
5. No cell phone service or land line for emergencies
6. Woken up at 5 am by barking dogs
Left after first day and were refused any type of refund

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Hiking and Walking
  • Written November 27, 2007

• uvmcat23 profile photo uvmcat23

Settle Down Cabin: Cabin rental tip

If you're looking for a quiet cabin surrounded by nature, be sure to ask specific questions prior to booking. We've made several trips to the Hockling Hills, & our most recent trip was a disappointing. The website depicted a beautiful, peaceful, out of the way cabin on 5 wooded acres. Following is an excerpt from the Settle Down Cabin website as of 11/20/07

"When you arise in the morning, you can see all kinds of wildlife right outside of your window."

" Enjoy the local attractions, then relax in the Hot Tub or sit out on the porch and enjoy the sounds and sights of nature."

The cabin was actually located on the 1st .25-.5 acres of property w/ the main road clearly visible & a house right next door w/ a "privacy" fence seperating properties. Nearby dogs were barking, & the hot tub was surrounded by a privacy fence limiting the view of the neighbors fence. Not exactly how the website was desribes the experience.
We decided to make the best, and settled in on the sofa for some tv.....no cable, & the only channel was a cartoon channel w/ clear reception when I held the antenna. Still trying to make the best, we popped in a movie only to find no batteries in the remote. I decided to call the property managers...oops, no cell phone service....no land line

We gave up and went to bed, & at 5a the the barking of dogs woke us up. We had enough & packed our bags giving up on the long weekend. We returned the key at 8am (1 day early)& found the property managers. Jim was extremely nice, but did not have much to say so we left.

I sent him an e-mail yesterday, asking for a partial refund do to what I perceive was misleading marketing materials, and ill working ammenities. His response was " The condition of the cabin does not justify a refund. Thank you"
and the 2nd e-mail was unfinished as follows:
"We are sorry you were unable to enjoy yourselves. However, there will be no refunds. We were provided pictures of the condi"

Not exactly what we expected.

Extremely clean!

• Related to: Family Travel, National/State Park, Hiking and Walking
  • Written November 20, 2007

• Darkeyedgirl profile photo Darkeyedgirl
  • Reviews: 48

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Rustic Cabin Retreat: As close to nature as you can get...

We found Jim and Patti via a search engine in mid-2006 when trying to find a pre-wedding getaway. Jim and Patti have several cabins; two of the several are 'rustic' - no running water, bare-bones existence - as close to camping as you can get - but you have a roof over your head!

We loved every peaceful, quiet and serene moment during our 2 visits to the Rustic Cabin. Hand-hewn log cabins, each 200 years old and VERY private, set on their own lake (fishing and swimming... take your pick), each with a floating dock and boat... it was just heaven. You can email Jim & Patti ahead of time and just 'check yourself in' - there are no keys to the cabins, but the cabins are on their private secluded property and if you bring a gun like we did, why worry about tresspassers? (unless you are a bad shot)

We have two albums dedicated to this Rustic Cabin on our Webshots page, it was that wonderful. My hubby is a photographer and he took pictures of me in my wedding gown at the cabin, it was THAT close to nature... me being the nature lover I am, I wanted outdoorsy shots with the gown. This setting was perfect. So secluded, the oh my the wildlife! Deer, birds, humming helicopter-like bees (but NO stings!), dragonflies galore, and wolf spiders the size of your hand (harmless spiders).

Note: This place is NOT for handicapped or people with disabilities. The steps up to the loft bedroom are more like a ladder! VERY steep and dangerous! Also you have to walk down a steep dirt hill w/ a wheelbarrow to get to the cabin (no car-pullup). ALSO - you can bring your dogs!!!! For $15 a night extra, bring Sparky and watch him chase bullfrogs, swim in the lake, or just enjoy all the wonderful room to roam.

The most unique qualities of this cabin are just 'itself'. It is VERY rustic. Jim explained that he dismantled the cabins himself & set them back up himself, on their land. The lakes are manmade and VERY well stocked, VERY clean, spring-fed lakes. The cabins are totally surrounded by trees. Both visits, we had welcome downpours & thunderstorms; we stood underneath the protective overhang of the branches of the trees surrounding us, & didn't even get wet. Taking a swim in the so-cool lake on a so-hot July day just after a rainstorm is the most memorable thing ever!

We didn't fish, but we saw tons of fishes in the water. LOTS of bullfrogs. Nothing weirder than enjoying a cold rum drink while resting in the rockers on the porch, and hearing this loud 'BLURRP' across the lake. If it's not us crazy humans cranking one out to echo across the lake, it's them bullfrogs!

Re the water... you have to bring your own. There IS a pump from the lake up to the cabin; but I'd not recommend using it. It smells due to the iron & other stuff in the water! We brought gallon jugs & a 24 pack of small bottles, for washing pots & pans, drinking, and hand-washing (bring hand sanitizer).

Another unique quality: Time does not exist here. Jim & Patti do have a clock in the bedroom; it doesn't work, ON PURPOSE. You wake up when you have enough sleep; you go to sleep when you get tired. You relax, you have fun. This is the kind of place you want to go if 'life' is getting to you, or if you just need time with your better half to be alone.

There are journals in both cabins, as well; which make for GREAT reading. You can read what all the past 'cabiners' experienced; from the snake in the outhouse (we didn't see one) to the creature living in the lake. My favorite story was of a Thanksgiving spent in that cabin. We also read about fishing buddies getting away from their wives & kids, to spend a weekend beering it up & fishing. So, it's also a friend-getaway, not just a lovers-getaway!

At $60.00 a night, it's a bargain, and a dream.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive