GREAT WOLF LODGE MASON OHIO

2501 Great Wolf Drive, MASON, OH, 45040
Great Wolf Lodge
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

More about GREAT WOLF LODGE MASON OHIO

Loved the hotel, loathed the customer service!

by TripAdvisor Member sendchristymail

We loved the hotel itself, the problems mentioned were all customer service related.

We checked-into the hotel on a Monday afternoon with our 2 children, 12 months and 4 1/2 years old. We spent a 1/2 hour at the front desk because they couldn't find our resv., it took awhile to figure it out, as they thought, even with my confimation in hand.

We requested a family suite, which I actually preferrred not paying the extra 15 a night or so to get waterpark level, it is actually below entry level. We were on the 2nd floor "balconey level", which is actually even with the lobby and restaurants. I was impressed with the spaciousness of the room. It was much larger than a standard double bed hotel room. I liked that it had a wall seperating the living and bedroom area, which was nice for setting up my daughter's pack and play so she could have a bit of quiet.

The waterpark area was much bigger than I imagined, with lots of slides for the tots, and grown-ups! My husband and I enjoyed the larger slides! It was nice to sit in the zero-entry wave pool with my young daughter, and let the water gently wave toward her. My son loved the water basketball and the big kids play area (treehouse?) which was great for him to run around in and release his energy! I didn't think the chlorine smelled too strong, as some other posters mentioned, and I also thought the lifeguards were aware and doing a great job.

Before dinner we attended the forest show in the lobby. All the kids wear pajamas and slippers. It was very sweet and my son enjoyed it. The animation was very good!

I was disappointed with the buffet being closed. There was no mention of this at resv. or check-in. After asking the gift shop employee about it, I found out it was closed because the hotel was "slow". We ate at the restaurant and I was highly disappointed because I am a vegetarian and didn't find much that was appealing. My son very much enjoyed his campfire sundae, which was 3 waffle cone shaped logs, tons of ice cream with sprinkles, and a cotton candy "fire" atop the logs. Very good if you don't mind paying the price....10.00! On the way back, we stopped at the arcade, they had many games for all age levels, my son and husband had a great time. After leaving , we realize the elavators are not working, the sign said "Use stairs". We had to carry my daughter, asleep in her stroller, up the stairs. Only the next day did we find out there is another set of elavators on the other side of the hotel. Would have been nice to know!

The next morning the breakfast buffet was open, it was simply "okay", nothing outstanding. At check-out, the problems resumed with my whole check-in, check-out situation. I then realized the had me checked-in the whole time as someone else with a different name and address...nice! I worried this would mess with my bank account since I paid with a debit card. Indeed it did, when I got home I checked my online account and found I was charged 3 times, I only stayed one night ! This of course was a huge inconvenience to straighten out between the hotel and my bank. After 7 hours of phone calls, I was finally credited the amount of overcharges. The hotel guest service manager only offered a "sorry about that". I was still disatisfied and after sending an email to customer service, I was sent a gift certificate which was for about 1/3 of the price I paid for 1 night.

The room, waterpark, and arcade were wonderful. I would have liked to have dined at the buffet, but it was closed. I would give the restaurant a below average rating. Even though we had some customer service problems, my 4 1/2 year old son still said "this is the best vacation ever", so we will be back. Hopefully by then they will have worked out the glitches.

Tip:
If you want a view of Kings Island, ask for a room facing the park. I would imagine it would be great to see their firework display from your room!

air quality bad

by TripAdvisor Member dani416

We satyed on the weekend after Valentines day. We had a great time to begin with. The rooms were great, we stayed in a family suite, with coffee pot and fridge. However, by the end of the first day our 6 year old was coughing so hard we had to leave the waterpark. The other child in our group, age 8 coughed all night as well as two of the adults. The children did not want to return the next day to the waterpark. We did complain to the front desk with no resolve. I also called after we returned to speak with a manager, who assured me that the air quality was checked daily and that they had not received any other complaints. I recently learned the Health Department is investigating due to the high number of complaints. All other aspects of the hotel were good, nice activities for the children, including story time. Just be cautious if your children are asthmatic.

Enjoyed the Great Wolf Lodge

by TripAdvisor Member INHockeymom

We stayed one night and most of the next day. Check out was at 11:00 the next day but we were able to use the waterpark till 10:00pm if we would have wanted to. They have locker/shower rooms in the waterpark to change .The boys who were 13 really had a nice time. Only complaint I have about the place is that I felt their restaurants in the hotel were overpriced for families. We ordered take-out from a Ruby Tuesday down the street. Overall we had a very enjoyable time.

asmatics pack your inhaler and go for it!

by TripAdvisor Member simpson101

We took our two kids 5 and 12 to the Great Wolf Lodge. We had a blast dispite the astma problems. I should have thought to bring the inhaler, my kids have mild asthma, flaring up mostly with colds. The waterpark did "assult" you when you entered. The air is very humid, warm, and the smell of chlorine is strong but not overpowering. It reminds me of what it feels like to walk into the indoor pool at the YMCA. Well after climbing 100's of stairs to ride the awsome slide over and over, yes there asthma did start acting up. The scary part was not being prepared. Luckly I did have an inhaler in the car, but thats a very long way away when you cant breath. After going out and taking inhaler an resting my daughter was able to renenter the waterpark and enjoy again. There was one point on the secound day that both my kids were having coughing fits at the same time to the point that my son started vomiting and my daugher started to have an asthma attack. I had to take them both out and up to the room for an hour till they calmed down and give them each some albuterol. I think it should have been expected due to the indoor chlorine and humid air, I just wish they would have reminded me on the website to bring inhalers if you have asthmatics. The rooms were great, the staff was very nice, the food in the waterpark was suprisingly affordable, the breakfast resturant was pricy but VERY GOOD,and the drinks... well, yum!! We had a great time all in all and the kids cant wait to go back. A friend that went with us got the "flu" the next day and was ill for 5 days, my husband got the "flu" on the 5th day after we left. All the media says its from the waterpark, I just think its flu season.

Mostly good, some "others"

by TripAdvisor Member thekubiaks

The Grey Wolf Lodge in Mason, OH is a fairly new Indoor Waterpark, Lodge. In my opinion, it is ideally suited for kids in the 6 - 14 year old range. The accomodations are very nice and well maintained. Everything is new and in top shape. The indoor waterpark is exceptional and my kids had the time of their lives.

There were some problem areas that diminished the overall experience somewhat. The price for a mid range room was > $400 per night after tax (includes the waterpark) The rooms were very nice and roomy but not worth anywhere near that price after you deduct the cost of the waterpark admission. Inside the waterpark, the chlorine level was pretty high. A firiend had warned us about burning eyes and skin issues they had about a month previous. After several hours in the waterpark, all of our eyes were red and burning from the chlorine fumes in the air, not from opening eyes in the water. My 8 year old started to cough for long periods pretty much all night long. My wife is a doctor and diagnosed the cough as bronchial spasms... Another irritant had to do with the way the waterslides were run, There are about 8 waterslides that have varying degrees of "intensity" The two best waterslides are a roller coaster type slide and a slide that can accomodate 4-5 people in one float. These slides are the most desired but they were run by only one overworked, semi-enthusiastic operator kid. The lines to get into the rollercoaster slide were excruciatingly long. Even though there was 20 - 30 people ahead of us, we had to wait 45 minutes to get into the roller coaster ride. It seemed that no matter how long the lines were, there was only going to be 1 coaster ride every 1 to 2 minutes... Very weak.

Besides the chlorine issue, being overpriced, and some rides poorly run, we still manged to have a great time and the kids found enough other things to keep them happy. My wife and I found a nice bar to chill out while keeping an eye on the kids. Will we return?? Perhaps if we catch the Lodge putting on some specials... We did enjoy the very friendly, professional, well-mannered crowds and kids... very little riff-raff.

Lots of Fun!

by TripAdvisor Member GroveCitymom

My family and I just returned from an overnight stay at Great Wolf Lodge in Mason, OH. Our 2 year old enjoyed the wave pool and "kiddie" pool. Our 6 year old seemed to be a perfect age. He loved all the slides except the water roller coster. It went a little fast for him and because he was the smaller rider, he had to sit in the front of the tube. The water in all the pools was a little on the cool side, but we were able to warm up in the family hot tub. The smell of chlorine is a little strong in the waterpark area. My husband and I went home with aching sinuses!

We stayed in a Wolf Den room. The kids loved the bunk beds and the decor of their cave! The room was very clean and new. It was great to have a microwave and fridge in the room. We came prepared with snacks, cold cuts, and even chicken nuggets for the kids that we warmed up in the microwave. The food in the lodge restaurants is overpriced, so you can save a lot by bringing your own. The Pizza Hut Express was reasonably priced, but food in the pool area was really expensive.

Great Wolf Lodge is a great place for a winter weekend getaway for families! I am positive we will return!

Nice, chlorine was too strong, very over-priced

by TripAdvisor Member soccermom19

We spend Sunday night (March 18th 2007) at the Great Wolf Lodge in Mason Ohio. We reserved the Grizzly Bear Suite which was the largest suite. We needed this due to the amount of children we have (5). This put us back 400.00 for one night.

The Grizzly Bear Suite was nice. It did not feel as big as it looked in the website, but it was very clean and nice. The kids (ages 10 - 18) had a blast in the waterpark.

Regarding the chlorine issues: it is very very bad. When I read the reviews, I thought "surely it is not THAT bad", but it was almost unbearable. My eyes were burning the entire time I was in there, and I didn't even get into the water. There were several several children coughing like crazy everywhere. In fact one little boy was rolling on the ground having a coughing attack while his mother was frantically getting her other kids out of the pool. But, if you ask my kids, they would say that they didn't care, because it was so much fun.

The arcade set me back a few dollars. Of course, there is a properly placed glass elevator that gives full view of the arcade on your way down to the waterpark. The kids did love the arcade though and 10.00 a piece will keep them busy all night.

We had dinner at the bar and grill and it was marginal. We had to bus our own table.

Our 10 year old loved the nighttime story hour in front of the fire - it was really cute.

The breakfast buffet was wonderful. It ran about 9.99 for adults and 5.99 for children but was worth it. They had omelet bars, fresh fruit, waffles, cereal, etc., etc.

Bring your own snacks, leave the towels at home (there are piles as you arrive in the waterpark) and bring plenty of bottled water.

Would we go again? Maybe with less children and get some sort of deal on a room. We did not get into our room until 4pm and had to check out at 11am.

Good luck and don't forget the eye drops!

Overall nice resort

by TripAdvisor Member AKKKMILLER

We took our kids for a mini- vacation here from 3/19-3/21. We stayed in the Wolf Den which had a queen bed and a set of bunk beds for the kids. The room was nice- only downfalls was the size of the bathroom- reminds me of a cruisehip-small. The waterpark was nice but the cholorine fumes are terrible. The first day there after about an hour our eyes were burning. The kids loved the slides even though at times the lines are terribly long. The water temps varied from area to area with the family hot tub being a cold tub. We ate in the two different restaurants they hotel has and would recommend leaving the hotel to eat they are pricey especially the buffet. We paid about $200.00 a night as they had a grand opening special but I don't think it was all that great and would not go if we had to pay more than that.

The Concept Stays the Same!

by TripAdvisor Member drummerhill

We stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge for two nights in March. This is the third GWL property that we have visited. It is essentially a mirror image of the one in Niagara Falls, Ontario, but the waterpark is 20% smaller (although it is essentially the same layout). This hotel has also added a conference center of 10,000 square feet that has just opened. I can't imagine too many business groups using a kids hotel. Staff training seems to be an issue... they are not on the same page! One highlight was the Spa... my wife loved it!! Much prefer the Ontario property!

Total Insanity - but fun for the kids

by TripAdvisor Member OhioMomof3

We just got back from a one night stay at the Mason Great Wolf Lodge. In a nutshell, it was pretty crazy, and my husband and I agree that we would have to be insane to go back.

The first thing that tells you this could be insane is the room price. We used an early bird booking code, and got our room for $164 for 3 kids and 2 adults. Which is cheaper than anyone else I know has paid, and still not a great value. Food prices are outrageous ($10 for a salad!), but they have refrigerators and microwaves in the room so you can save a lot of money by bringing some of your own food.

Although my kids are on Spring Break, most other schools around here aren't on break until next week. So, I naively assumed checking in at 1:20 on a Monday wouldn't be a problem. It took us 50 minutes to check in! I was there alone with a 3, 5, and 7year old who were trying hard to be patient, but we just about lost it when we got to the front and they didn't have all our information. This was just the first of many times when I felt the hotel was understaffed and/or unprepared for that many guests.

Our room was really nice and spacious - except for the bathroom. Beds were a bit firm for my taste, but overall this part was quite pleasant.

The waterpark was chaotic and very loud. My kids had fun - especially my fearless 5 year old. They enjoyed everything except the wave pool (too crowded). I really would not recommend it for anyone with kids younger than 3 and/or smaller than 42". As a fix for all the chlorine problems, they've greatly increased the ventilation. Which makes for an uncomfortably cold breeze blowing in places. The water isn't all that warm either. Even the family hot tub could best be described as a family warm tub. It's the only place I've ever found myself shivering in a hot tub! Once, we were all cold and ran to grab towels to wrap ourselves up only to find there were no towels! Five minutes later - still no towels! We ended up running back to our room dripping wet. They also ran out of life jackets the first time we went to the water park. I walked around for a while before finding an unattended vest that would fit my 3yo. Lines for the family raft ride and water coaster were long, mostly due to having only one attendant/lifeguard for both rides.

Like I've said, the kids had fun. We have a lot of good memories, but DH and I have said we will not go back as it just wasn't worth it to us.

Comments