Red Roof Inn Medina

5021 Eastpointe Drive, (formerly Cross Country Inn Medina), Medina, Ohio, 44256, United States
Red Roof Inn Cleveland-Medina
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Medina

View west from the RestaurantView west from the Restaurant

The Hill on US 42 entering Medina County frm CleveThe Hill on US 42 entering Medina County frm Cleve

Travel Tips for Medina

Medina, The County

by Toughluck

"To me Medina is the County"

For all the years I lived in the Cleveland area and traveled through Medina to parts south, I never thought of Medina as other than a place to pass through. In the last 10 years, I've realized that there are several of my favorite places in Medina County, although not in Medina.
Each fall as kids, we'd head south down Pearl Road (US 42) to the Apple House. At first, it was a simple place that picked apples in the orchards out back and sorted them into wooden boxes, from which we'd pick apples for pies, eating fresh and for cider. Since then, it has grown into a Cheese house, gift shop, cafe and restaurant. Each a worthy addition. We never thought of this as Medina, because it was in Brunswick; Brunswick Township of Medina County.
There was even the memorable trip to the farm at the top of the hill on Pearl Road to get the WILD cat. It was a gag gift for a holiday party or somebodies birthday. It was wild. The farmer put it in a crate. It hissed and snarled the whole way home. The Top of the Hill on Pearl Road, is just north of the Apple House, you guessed it, in Brunswick Township.
One of my favorite winter trips was a scout trip to Hinkley (near the town of the same name. This Cleveland Metropark unit had a cabin that the troop rented each February. We'd spend a wet and cold weekend here every month. Hinkley is Hinkley Township or the Town of Hinkley in Medina County.
In addition to the cabin, Hinkley has the ledges, where my wife and I had our second date, and the toboggan/sled hill, which we enjoyed for many years.

These will be added here or through links as I have time.

"Where the Weather Changes"

Growing up and traveling between Cleveland and points south, i.e., Columbus, we learned that my dad's saying, 'The weather will change once you pass Medina" was usually correct.
It is the reststop on I-71 at the top of the hill, where I would routinely stop at midnight or later for a quick 20 minute nap before heading the last 40 or 50 miles home. It is this crest that runs through Medina County that reflects the change in the weather.

North of Medina, the land drains to Lake Erie and points northeast. Southward, all the rivers run south to the Ohio River and then the Mississippi River. Whatever affect Lake Erie has on the weather ends here. And by this point, it's minimal. But it was always here that the weather often changed.
Dad had been in Columbus for the day when a snow storm blew in dumping a foot or more (14 cm or more) across the land. The normal 2 hour drive became 5, but he made easily once he got past Medina. It was in Medina that the freeway closed after he had passed.
It was in Medina another year at Thanksgiving that the freeway closed and my wife and her brother were sent into town to find relatives, with whom they could spend the night. That year, it was north of the divide that was snowed under with nearly 1 1/2 feet (50 cm) of snow.
In another year and another snow storm, the roads were closed for nearly a week because of the vehicles that were buried in the drifts. There day after the storm, rescue teams walked the roads with poles. Every 10 feet, they pushed the pole into the snow looking for buried cars. In one place, they found a buried truck. Not a small pick-up truck, but a 60 foot long, 13 feet tall truck. It was completly buried. The Driver! Oh, he was resting in the cab, waiting for someone to find him. He had water, food and blankets.

Comments