THE FOUNDING OF NEW PHILADELPHIA, OHIO
New Philadelphia was founded in 1804 by John Knisely. John Knisely was very optimistic, and seemed to feel that New Philadelphia would one day become a great city. He employed a surveyor, John Wells, and had him lay out the entire town on a checkerboard plan, similar to the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In fact, many of the streets were named after the streets of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He had three public squares laid out. The present public square, a smaller square, or upper market square, called Franklin Square, which is the present junction of West High Avenue and Fourth Street. A lower market square called Washington Square, still exists at the junction of East High and Beaver Avenues.
John Knisely died on December 15, 1834 at the age of 84 years. His burial plot is located in the East Fair Street Cemetery, another of his donations to the city of New Philadelphia, where his tombstone states simply, what he undoubtedly would consider the greatest honor, "JOHN KNISELY, Founder of New Philadelphia".
The above information was gathered from the Tuscarawas County Convention and Visitors Bureau.