Oberlin Inn

See Amenities

Location, Location, Location

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 6, 2010

If you visit Oberlin College, the Conservatory or Art Museum, you cannot beat the Oberlin Inn. It is getting old- 1955- but is comfortable, friendly and very convenient. Our breakfast was fine but we ate lunch and dinner at two of the nearby eateries. Presti's is an Oberlin tradition and good food. Weia Teia is a new place. There are not many modern bells and whistles, pool, exercise room, etc. But one is there to, usually, visit the college for some reason, not to hang out in the hotel.

Unique Quality: Location.

Directions: College campus

iamjacksgoat's Profile Photo

Pretty Much the Only Place to Stay on Campus

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 27, 2010

Decent place to stay in Oberlin, much better than staying in a dorm. It's nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. I stayed there one night with no complaints. Since this is pretty much the only place to stay in Oberlin, I'd have to recommend it.

Other than that, the Oberlin Inn tends to fill up rather quickly being as small as it is. HINT: Even if they say the Inn is full, it usually isn't. My family got a spot during orientation, one of the busiest times of the year, by being nice to the desk attendant. Really. When you're in a small town like Oberlin, being polite and a bit chatty can get you a long way. Remember that with the Oberlin Inn.

Unique Quality: In a great central location for all events Oberlin. Because of this, it fills up almost instantly during Oberlin College events, such as orientation or alumni gatherings.

Directions: Across from the Apollo, near the art museum

grandmaR's Profile Photo

It's the Inn or the Next Town

by written on May 31, 2004

The Oberlin Inn is the only place to stay in Oberlin other than the Shurtleff B&B or a dorm.

It is a small inn - only about 65 rooms. It is completely booked at some times of year. There are no rooms available in the fall when school starts, few rooms on weekends, and Memorial Day weekend when graduation is held was completely booked up for Memorial Day for 2004, and seems to be booked for 2005 as well.

The first time I stayed there was in the fall of 1953 in the old building (see insets). My room looked out on the Apollo Theatre. Edit Tip

I stayed at the "new" Inn in 1959 for my graduation when my new husband and I drove out to Oberlin after our wedding and stayed in the Inn. My sister and parents drove out separately, and my sister stayed in my old dorm room.

I think my parents also stayed at the Oberlin Inn. I may also have stayed there in 1969 for my 10th reunion with my husband and 3 children.

It is obvious that I do not know what the Inn is like today 45 years later, but I cannot imagine that it would be anything but a comfortable place to stay if you could get a space.

The Inn says on their website that they retain the character of a "quaint historic hotel". I think that is a bit of hype as it is nothing like the original Inn where I stayed in 1953.

Unique Quality: The rates vary according to the day of the week. Weekends are more expensive than weekdays. Summer is cheaper than winter when school is in session.

They have free on-site parking (no small thing during graduation week), an onsite restaurant, cable TV and phones with internet access.

If you want to attend a reunion or graduation, and you can't get a place in the Inn, you have to stay in Elyria, Amherst (8-10 miles away) or in a dorm.

Dorm rooms are not heated (in May) or air conditioned (bring a fan), there are no elevators (3 floors), no 'ensuite' bathrooms (you go down the hall to the toilets, showers and sinks) and only single beds. There is only onstreet parking so you have to tote your luggage from whereever you can manage to find a parking place. The Oberlin Inn would be a bargain at any price, if you could get a room.

Directions: From Northeast: I-80 to Exit 152 North Olmsted/Cleveland; Ohio Route 10 West to Oberlin or I-90 West to Route 58 South. (Approximately 6 miles)

Nearby Oberlin Inn

• Pets Allowed
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Oberlin Travel Forum

Need advice about Oberlin, Ohio? Visit the Travel Forum for Oberlin and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Oberlin