In 1824 New York statesman, DeWitt Clinton proposed building a canal from Portage River Sandusky, Ohio, to Cincinnati. Yet, in 1827 Ezekiel Smith Haines bought the last remaining 1212 acres. The platting work was done by General Lytle, Ezekiel, and Elias Haines, O.M. Spencer and others of the village of Port Clinton and completed in 1828. Ezekiel Haines named this town Port Clinton after the DeWitt Clinton since he wished to honor "the Father of the Erie Canal" since he passed away four months before the platting was completed of the town.