Erie Islands Resort Marina

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 154 reviews
Booking.com Travelocity

A Horrible Check IN and an immediate CHECK OUT

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 5, 2012

I reserved this place through RCI for a nice peaceful weekend on Lake Erie. When I arrived, the staff was very nice, especially the young lady (Brenda) and the Marketing representative. The manager showed a different personality when I questioned the 59-dollar cleaning fee and she said that it was part of the deal. This was a surprise. Prior to that she appeared friendly. When I called RCI that evening, the RCI staff said that the money was between the facility and me. I would have been more than happy to pay a cleaning fee if I stayed but this place appeared to be made for partying where no one would pay attention to the surroundings. I then went to the cottage. When I left the car I fought through SWARMS of different types of bugs. I called the desk and asked what they were and they said mosquitoes (in the height of West Nile Season). I questioned whether they sprayed and she said "NO". I opened the back door and immediately locked it so the bugs would not bite me. I also found out this was on the Portage River and not Lake Erie.

I immediately looked for the phone to call (this was when I wanted to complain about the bugs). I had to pull out the couch and plug the phone in. The phone is the cheapest type of landline you can purchase, as is most every thing in this sterile looking clean cottage. I touched nothing but the couch and phone. I used nothing. The place appeared clean but very plain with no touches of decor as I am used to as a member of the Hilton vacations. The bed looked terrible and appeared to be a double instead of the Queen size like I was told. I am over 6 foot tall and always sleep in a queen or larger. The bed cover looked disgusting so there was no way I was going to touch it. It could have been clean but not up to standards for a place sponsored by RCI.

After spending the entire time trying to get Internet access with only one signal almost connecting and NO ONE available to help. Brenda kept apologizing, I called RCI and they told me that if it was that bad to leave. I left and asked for my 59 dollars back. I said, "Please give me the 59 dollars since I touched NOTHING but the couch and phone. They did not return the money. DO YOU WANT TO GO TO A PLACE LIKE THIS!!!!! I am in my late 50's and never experienced anything like it. THIS PLACE IS not handicap accessible in anyway. My feet were too big to even get upstairs.

IF YOU HAVE SMALL CHILDREN THESE STAIRS CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS!!!!!

I turned in my key and said this place is terrible and they refused to give me my money back. A week later it is still on my credit card.

THIS IS A GLORIFIED TRAILER PARK!!!!!!!!!!

The problems are too numerous. If the manager has a conscience she would return the 59 dollars. It was just the icing on the cake. I will donate it to charity. It is the principle. They gave me a disgusting place and in return they kept my money. I would not risk recommending this facility to anyone. RCi gave me my money and points back. RCI called me during the following week and told me things the manager said about reservations etc. None of it made any sense. i.e. I had another week’s reservation and RCI told her I did not. This is an example. I do not understand whet type of facility they are run

Unique Quality: Swarms of bugs.......Cheap furnishings........many campers.

Brenda at the front desk and the Marketing manager were very nice.

Directions: on the Portage River......with swarms of bugs

Nearby Erie Islands Resort Marina

Erie Islands Resort Marina

• Erie Islands Hotel Marina
  • Erie Islands Resort Marina Hotel Port Clinton

Address: 4495 West Darr Hopfinger Road, Port Clinton, Ohio, 43452, United States

Amenities at Erie Islands Resort Marina

• Kitchenette
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Port Clinton Travel Forum

Need advice about Port Clinton, Ohio? Visit the Travel Forum for Port Clinton and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Port Clinton hotel reviews