439 Loraine Ave, Put-in-Bay, OH, 43456

Official Site

Satisfaction Average

• DO NOT STAY HERE

DO NOT STAY HERE. If you see anyone writing a good review about this place, THEY WORK THERE. The rooms are dirty and exorbitantly overpriced. The staff is consistently rude, condescending, and disrespectful. They will treat you like an animal and then threaten to evict you with no refund if you respond in any way. I have never been treated like this in my whole life. They enforce the room occupancy limits in a ridiculous manner. They won't let you have even an extra piece of luggage and are constantly harassing you to count the number of guests in your room. I was woken up at three in the morning to have my room searched for extra guests. If you have any dignity at all, do not stay at Put in Bay Resort. They should be out of business. Completely unprofessional and BEYOND rude. The blonde female manager will kick you out of the hotel according to her own whims. Overall a terrible experience. If you want to have a good time and be treated with an ounce of respect, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

Unique Quality: Rude staff, dirty disgusting rooms and accommodations, ridiculous policies.

• Worst place we've ever stayed

The best thing was the lady at the desk when we arrived....very friendly and helpful. After that it was all downhill. There was hair in the shower, bikes were terrible to ride, beer cans floating in the pool, plastic cups to step on in the pool and the mattress was SO horrible, we checked out the next morning. We were exhausted from lack of sleep and couldn't face attempting to sleep on that mattress again. The desk manager agreed that we should get a refund but his "higher up' said their "staff did everything they could to remedy the situation". In fact, the staff did nothing ... not even offering to change rooms ....nothing! I will NEVER stay here again.
    We chose it because it was a "resort and conference center" ... thinking it would be a little better than a B&B .... WRONG!

Unique Quality: Tiki Bar was interesting and, I'm sure, attractive to the younger crowd

Directions: Within walking distance from the ferry

• luv2laughlots's Profile Photo

Not What We Expected

There was 7 of us girls staying in a 6 person suite. The room was clean and roomy. That was about the best I can say about our stay. Well that and the swim-up Tiki bar. Our room was on the first floor at the end of a hall. There was a dumpster/compactor just outside of our room. OH THE STENCH! If that wasn't bad enough, the sewer plant was right across the street. If you could get over the smell, you had super-hero powers! The second night that we were there a wonderful guest decided to toss cookies in the middle of the hall betweeen us and the front desk. Freakin' surrounded I tell ya! Granted, the hurl was not thier fault, but cleaning it up or spraying some kind of deodorizer would have been nice!

The second day we were there we had to go to the front desk and ask for fresh towels and linens. We were told that they normally don't clean the room if the guest are staying over. We didn't want the room cleaned just fresh towels and linens. The Continental breakfast.........well it was more like weak coffee and day old bagels.

If we were staying at a cheap hotel, this all wouldn't bother me. But it was like $920 for 3 nights.

Unique Quality: Saturday at the pool is CRAZY! There are soooooo many people! The place is packed! They have a great swim up tiki bar which was really nice. The bartenders had one pace...........let's just say my grandmother can move faster in a wheel chair! There was a DJ playing and he kept the music going all afternoon.

There is also a 40 person hot tub which was great to hang out in and relax!

Sunday when we went to fry our bodies a little bit more, it was a totally different scene! Not swarms of people, more older crowd, kids and a bartender that was friendly and fast!

Oh, and if you needed a pool towel, you could get one from the hotel, but if not returned it would cost you $50. If it wasn't for a stripe being on the pool towel, a person couldn't tell the difference from it and the room towels!

Directions: 2 blocks from all the hot spots on the island

More about Put-In-Bay Resort And Conference Center

Great hotel, great island, just a couple of bugs to work out...

by TripAdvisor Member AlwaysHope

My family of four, two adults and two kids (5 and 8) stayed here July 11-13. The hotel is brand new, and everything's in great shape. The kids LOVED the pool, which is great for kids at only 3 ft deep in the shallow end. The size of the pool is adequate, but can get crowded quickly. The 40 person hot tub is awesome, but is directly beside the pool and a level above, so older kids were using it as a diving board into the deep end, which should be prohibited as it's only 3'6" along the edge there. The "waterfall" is like 5 streams of water squirting into the pool from the side of the hot tub. The swim up pool bar is cute, but the food is overpriced, and there is no alcohol yet--maybe they need time to get the liquor license? But you are allowed to take your own drinks there at this point, so how can you complain? It's cheaper!! The pool towels are wonderful, but there are no bins to return them in, and everyone just leaves them lay all over when they leave, along with their litter. Our room was a standard room on the second floor ( I had requested first floor) and was very clean and comfy. The windows only open two inches, which was weird since there were screens. Our only complaint here is that the walls are like paper--every single sound came thru as if people were in our room. Which is really bad when there are two small kids -and exhausted parents- trying to sleep. (Which is why you NEVER take kids to Put in Bay on a weekend!!) The breakfast bar was barely adequate--they ran out of MILK the first morning, and then ran out of bagels and cream cheese the next. The selection is 5 cereals, toast, bagels, danishes and muffins, small plate of fruit. But hey, it's better than paying for it uptown. The staff was helpful, pleasant and polite. We've stayed at Put in Bay many times at different hotels over the last ten years, and this will probably be a repeat if the price stays right--great location, great staff, great pool, and nice to know the owners live on site and are willing to take care of problems when needed. Keep up the good work.

Worst ever hotel experience!!!! Tacky, charmless and highway robbery!!

2 of us booked a room here for a weekend wedding. We asked for a room with two beds. we were given a "suite" with 2 beds and a pull out sofa. we thought we were paying $200/night for total of $400. WRONG! we were paying $400/night!!!! When we found this out we tried to correct it, but were told that it sleeps 6. I guess that's how they charge that kind of money.

we resigned ourselves to staying here since we, too, were told no refunds and they of course had already charged us for 1 night. we expected a quaint, shingled building with all the amenities one would expect from a $400/night room. we were literally in shock when we arrived. this is the equivalent of a Holiday Inn Express. Basically a motel. Filled with loud, rowdy frat boy types and really bad music blaring from a sad little pool area. The paper thin walls allow you to hear word for word the conversations of your neighbors. A/C wall units cut in and out all night so you don't even have white noise for some privacy. the staff is a bunch of young people who couldn't possibly care less about the guests.

we pointed out the last time we paid $400/night for a hotel it was in the Four Seasons Istanbul and here we were in basically an ugly little motel with zero amenities surrounded by drunken, sunburnt frat boys and aging drunken, sunburned burnouts. One guest was doing a beer bong and spraying the left over foam on the sidewalk in front of the hotel.

CLASSY!!!!

Treated like royalty!

Bayshore is absolutely beautiful!! It's far enough away from downtown to relax when you're tired. Beautiful pools, tiki bar, and lakeview. Very professional and friendly staff. I am a very picky person and was not dissatisfied in any way. When I go back I will stay there again.

What a great Place!

by TripAdvisor Member sweetkelly

I just returned from my second stay at the Put-in-Bay Resort and wanted to share my experience. This was my second trip to the island this year and also my second time at the resort.

This place just seems to get better each time. The pool on Friday and Saturday had a DJ who played a great selection of music, popular, oldies and no rap music. There were probably 200 well behaved people just enjoying the sun shine and having a GREAT time.

We ate lunch at the swim up bar all three days we were there and each time the food was superb and we were served in less than 10 minutes. I really liked the Perch basket they had there and ate it 2 times. The bar had great frozen drinks and even a guy who we later found out was the owner was behind the bar working with the bartenders making sure everything was up to par.

Saturday morning the resort had a breakfast buffet that was $7.95 for all you could eat and in my mind was a great deal since Sunday we went to breakfast at another place the bill for eggs bacon etc. was more than the buffet.

About 5:00 on Saturday, the resort replaced the DJ with a Reggae guy who sang and played the steel drums. He was absolutely fantastic!! We ended up staying there until 8 PM by the pool he was so good.

Everyone should know Put-in-bay on the weekend is an adult oriented crowd much like Key West. Sunday thru Thursday is all familles. We went into town and stayed at Mr. Ed's Bar for most of the evening.

We thoroughly enjoyed out stay there and the island is fortunate to have a great operation like this. We will continue to stay at the Put-in-bay resort and everyone we spoke with had a great time.

Lovely Pool & very kid friendly

I used to live in the area and brought my family to the island for a little sightseeing and entertainment, coming all the way to PIB from Texas. We really enjoyed ourselves! The rooms were very clean and cheerful, the pool was spacious with a swim up bar and a very large, accomodating hot tub that could seat 25+ people. It was very convenient that you could rent golf carts right there at the hotel.

Lots of kids milling about and the staff was very friendly and knowledgeable about the goings on of the island. We also visited mid-week, which allowed us to catch the island's regatta for children.

The on site manager is a young mother with small kids and resides on the island and she could not have been more friendly and accomodating. She even taxied us to the Jet Express once we checked out of the hotel. I booked everything on line and found their website to be easy and most accomodating, compared to the other hotels and B & B's on the island.

We would definitely stay in this hotel again!

Room for Improvement, but NOT Disappointed!

Just returned from a two-night stay and was fairly pleased. This is the first time we have stayed on South Bass Island and I was happy to book at a brand-new hotel. We've stayed on surrounding islands in the past. I think the front desk could use some organization. When we arrived at NOON, the person checking us in (who our family nicknamed "sleepy girl", as she kept yawning the entire time) seemed bored and uninterested in checking us in. If I did not have a reservation there and had just walked in off the street, I may have been put-off enough to venture to another hotel. Picking up our room keys at 3:00 and renting a golf cart the next morning proved to be just as frustrating in dealing with the front desk. I did expect a few little "freebies" in our room as you get in other hotels (little shampoos, conditioners, and lotions) at $175/night (Luxury Suite). But the room was clean and spacious for our family of four (my husband and I, our daughter (18) and our son (12)). Our suite faced the pool but I didn't hear the pool music unless I opened the window. Not that it would have mattered much since the pool closed at ten-the music wouldn't have kept us awake. The pool area was very nice and we did not have any trouble getting alcohol at the bar. The cleaning staff was VERY accommodating when I asked them to come in quickly to do our room. My husband and I were heading out and our children wanted to stay in the room. We did not want anyone bothering the kids while they were alone, so I just stopped the cleaning staff in the hall to ask for clean towels. They rushed in with the towels and to tidy up, doing WAY more than I had asked them to. Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much and would likely return to this hotel.

Needs alot of work

by TripAdvisor Member tinybeny

If you stay at this hotel take ear plugs, or you won't get any sleep. The walls are paper thin. Take your own pillow, because the ones on the bed are as if someone had flaten them with a steamroller. The pool and hot tub were about the only nice thing there. If you booked online and got a cheaper rate make sure you take your confirmation sheet with the cost, they will try to charge you full price. ALso don't believe everthing you read on their website, no ironing boards are in the rooms, you have to call the front desk, no go to the front desk and get it. That's another thing no instruction on how to call the front desk or call anyting with the phone in the room. Don't forget your shampoo, it will cost you. But the room does have a hair dryer. Won't be back, cost is too expensive for what you don't get.

Best Getaway Weekend

My first time at Put-in-Bay and booked here. Stayed August 1 - 3, 2005. They only had a suite available. Took my 75 year old mother, daughter and sister. It was a beautiful room, very clean. Beds were very comfortable. We did get free shampoos, soap, fresh towels and only $175 a night. Staff was friendly and check-in service was quick and easy. Renting a golf cart at the front desk was very efficient. Continental breakfast was as good as any that I have had with typical food items. Pool and hottub were clean. I would highly recommend staying here. Our room was on 3rd floor and overlooked pool. Pool and bar closed at 10 p.m. on weekdays so no noise. My only complaint was a rowdy group of drunks came screaming down the hall at 3 a.m. our first night. I should have called the front desk but did not. Take a family during the week -- I can only imagine what it must be like on a weekend. They should have someone at the front desk to remind the drunks to be quiet or throw them out. I had to sign a paper to respect the hotel's policies and did -- not sure why drunk people seem to be exempt from these policies. The bar at the pool is open now too -- the owner got liquor license end of July.

Average hotel, Very poor management

The Put-In-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center was an average hotel. I don't really understand the "resort" part of its name. It was an average, at best, hotel. I will admit that it was very clean, but it is also new, and it was just a block from downtown. The first night I had to ask for an ironing board and iron, and the next morning I had to call the desk for washclothes. I guess I was just surprised that these items wouldn't have already been in the room considering how much I was paying for it. The pool was decent, however, the hotel's advertisement of a tiki bar and waterfall were clearly embellished. The bar had a few stools in the water, and the waterfall looked like a sprinkler in a kiddie pool. As for the other reviews discussing the view of the water treatment plant, I will agree that it wasn't the ideal view, but it wasn't that bad. The hotel did take up its entire plot, so the only view was of the streets. I guess that's part of the reason the pool wasn't so appealing. I also found out upon arrival that if I wanted my room cleaned, I had to be out of it by 10:30 AM, or make special arrangements to get it cleaned after that. Considering that Put-In-Bay is known for it's partying, it might be difficult for someone to be up and out of the room by 10:30 if they weren't feeling so well from the night before. The management just doesn't seem to be that accommodating to its guests. Which leads me to my biggest complaint yet. Sadly, on the way to Put-In-Bay, I recieved the terrible news that my 20-year-old cousin had been in a tragic accident that he did not survive. My family insisted that I continue on vacation, however, you can probably imagine that I wasn't really in a vacation mood after receiving the news. When I checked into the hotel that night I explained my situation to the guy on duty and he told me that I would need to speak to a manager, but that they probably would give me my money back since I would have to leave one night early to get back to the services. I signed all the paperwork in order to check in, not realizing that I was making a mistake. The next morning the manager was still not in (another problem with the hotel was that the management was NEVER around) and I had to talk to her on the phone. When I first started speaking she sounded totally put-off by the fact that she had to deal with me. I explained my situation and she would not budge. She refused to give us our money back due to the 14 day cancellation policy. Since I had signed all the papers the night before (keep in mind I was under the impression by the night worker that there would be no problem) I was obligated to pay for a night I wasn't staying. I understand that hotels have to have policies, but I think that for a family emergency they should bend the rules. How many family emergencies could they possibly have in one year? Who would lie about a death in the family? I guess this has taught me a lesson to be leary of such ridiculous cancellation policies. I cannot imagine being so heartless and care nothing for the customers who keep them in business. The whole time I felt like they were doing us a favor by letting us stay there, rather than us doing them a favor for helping their business. They never once acted like they appreciated our business or wanted it back. They will never get my business again, or any of my family's or friends' business. I would not recommend it if you expect courteous treatment. Getting back to my family was more important than the money I lost, I just don't know how their conscious doesn't get the best of them.

Comments