1410 Commerce Dr, Saint Marys, OH 45885

Travel Tips for Saint Marys

Home Sweet Home

by ReetSLP

"History"

Ah...St. Marys! St. Marys (SM) is my hometown. I haven't officially lived there in about 7 years, but it will always be home to me. That being said, I also don't think I'd move back there, but I do love it.
St. Marys is a historic town. It was originally a Native American settlement called Kettletown, and was later renamed Girty's Town (after the infamous Girty brothers). It was the site of Ft. Barbee and Ft. Saint Marys and was the site of many important events during the French and Indian War. It is located along the Miami-Erie Canal. A forgotten canal lock was recently uncovered and there is a reproduction of a canal boat in Memorial Park. SM is located near Grand Lake St. Marys which was once the largest man-made lake in the world, and is still the largest hand-dug lake in the world. It was built as a reservoir for the canal and was later the site of the first off shore oil wells in the country. St. Marys has a lot of history, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Saint Mary's, Ohio

by Easty

"From The Air"

I am into aerial photography, being a GIS professional. Here is a picture I took from a flight from Albuquerque, NM to Newark, NJ. I am 99% sure this is Grand Lake and the town is St. Mary's, OH. I thought this might be of interest to people living in the area. I have never been to this town and do not have any information on it.

Comments