Americas Best Value Inn

5608 Milan Road, Interstate 80/90 Exit 118, Sandusky, Ohio, 44870, United States
America's Best Value Inn Sandusky
Orbitz.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Sandusky

The railroad causewayThe railroad causeway

Aquatic ShowAquatic Show

Travel Tips for Sandusky

My Favorite part of Sandusky...

by Randall_Burt

My Favorite part of Sandusky is many but I remember my first trip to Cedar Point. My Friend and I got there the night before we went to Cedar Point. We camped at Bayshore Estates Campground about a mile from The Causeway to Cedar Point. I was like a little kid at Christmas , I couldn't wait to go there.

Confederate Cemetery/Union Prison

by Toughluck

Located on Johnson's Island is the Confederate Cemetery. It is the last remnant of the Civil War Era prison for Confederate Soldiers captured during the war.

You can drive on to the island. Because it is mostly private residents, there is a $1.00 toll charged by an automated gate to discourage people from visiting. Just slip your cash (bills or coins) into the machine and it will open for you. The cemetery is well marked and signs explain the prision and the cemetery.

Take bay Shore road from Danbury (which is where the causeway - SR 2) reaches the north side of the bay. it's about 8 miles east. Marblehead (town and light) are just 2-3 miles further out on the tip of the peninsula.

The MeanStreak

by rossandkelli

A wild 'woodie.' The Mean Streak roller coaster at Cedar Point amusement park/resort is as much a marvel to look at as it is a joy to ride. Built from 1.7 million board feet of treated Southern yellow pine and standing a monumental 161 feet tall, the Mean Streak is one of the two wooden roller coasters that grace the skyline of 'America's Roller Coast.'

The Mean Streak gave 1,085,154 rides in 2001 and more than 14.4 million rides since 1991. Guests must be at least 48 inches tall to ride Mean Streak.

Johnson Island Eric County Marker

by Yaqui

The plaque reads: Johnson's Island, in the Bay opposite of Sandusky, was a prison for Confederate soldiers 1862-1865. Nothing remains of prison except for its cemetery and the earthwork of two old forts.

Dianna's Sandusky page

by Mayna76

"All my life..."

I've lived in Sandusky from the time I was born until I moved out permanently at 19. I live in Columbus now, but my family still lives in Sandusky, so I go up there frequently. I wanted to put Sandusky on my page to hopefully offer some newcomers some tips on going to Sandusky that they may not find from other people.

People come from far and near to go to Cedar Point. I worked there back in high school, and went every single year until just a few years ago. I cannot ride roller coasters anymore (I get a headache from it while they used to be fun) so we don't go anymore.

In my opinion, if you can't ride the fast rides at Cedar Point, there isn't a whole lot of point in going. Their shows are mundane and mediocre anymore, and they have taken out many slow rides that made the park fun for the non fast-ride riders. (Senior citizens, etc.)

However, if you can't ride the rides and still want to visit the Sandusky area, there are a TON of things to do that don't involve Cedar Point.

1. Cedar Point beach is FREE. Drive around the point (go straight towards the marina and around the perimeter of the point to get there. It's by the hotels.

2. Booze cruise. I've not been on one, but the people who have claim they're loads of fun. A floating bar. You need to go to the downtown docks area for information.

3. Lake Erie Islands. There are boats that will cruise you from one island to another, giving you a day to spend some time on each one. Put in Bay being the main attraction. Alternatively, you can take a ferry and stay at any of them for a night or so.

4. Downtown docks. They have a great view of Lake Erie, great view of Cedar Point from afar. There's usually a few people fishing off of them. Generally fairly peaceful and nice to "hang out".

5. Shopping. While the mall is mediocre at best, there is a new Harley Davidson building just built that I hear is a must see, even if you're not a big Harley fan. The Harley Davidson building is located on rt 250, near the rt 2 overpass.

6. Edison birthplace. Located in Milan (15-20 mins south of downtown Sandusky), Thomas Edison was born in Milan, Ohio. They have a nifty museum and lots of old relics.

7. Marblehead lighthouse. Located on the Marblehead peninsula (about 20-30 mins west of downtown Sandusky), the Marblehead lighthouse is beautiful to visit.

8. Merry-go-Round museum. Located in the old Sandusky post office (I remember when it was actually a post office), they've got a working merry-go-round, as well as a carousel horse carver on site. It's very interesting, and the horses they have in there are famous ones pictured on postage stamps.

Comments