7000 Kalahari Drive, Sandusky, Ohio, 44870, United States

• KellyN20's Profile Photo

Visa Credit Never RECEIVED!

I have made a good faith effort to resolve a credit issue with Kalahari Resort after a horrendous visit on June 10 – June 11, 2012.

After a horrendous visit including waiting hours and hours in front desk lines, being assigned to a room that was not cleaned and ready, wet carpet in our room, and unreachable management, we were promised a full refund.

We checked out as required. At that point I stood and waited for a manager. After waiting 30 minutes I spoke with a front desk manager, Faris Pallacey. I explained our outrageous experience to him including sharing images of the rooms condition and he immediately agreed to credit my Visa for all charges related to our visit ($132.69 + $115.08). I asked him for a credit receipt and he said one was not available but he assured me that it was taken care of. I asked again and he showed me a screen where he just processed the credit/return.

Unique Quality: Never received the credit -

After taking my frustration to Social Media, Kalahari offered:

Dear Kelly,
    Thank you for taking the time and the diligence you have to getting this matter solved. I have bits and pieces of the situation and I believe I spoke to you at one point as I have put notations in the reservation. Fares is no longer with the company and I see that you spoke with him as well. I have directed your response to our finance department and they did in fact confirm that you had filed a dispute with your credit card company which was over turned in our favor. I am sure at this point you are very upset and rightfully so. Unfortunately I will not be able to refund your money for the past stay as it was a fund raiser for the PTA and a percentage of the revenue went to the school and has been disbursed. You did not check into your room until after 5:00 and that is a little later then the norm and it does appear there was water in front of the refrigerator which sometimes happens when the refrigerators are turned off and they defrost. None the less we offered to move your room and you declined. I do not want you to remember your stay at the Kalahari as a bad experience so I would like to offer you a free upgrade to visit us again in the future giving us the opportunity to go Beyond your Expectations.. I would like to upgrade you to an African Queen Suite at the rate of a desert, our most economic room. You should receive the voucher in the mail in the next 10 days and it will be valid for a year. I hope that you will accept the upgrade along with my sincere apologies and return again in the future.

• NEVER AGAIN!!!! BED BUGS!!!!

OUR FIRST ROOM HAD BED BUGS!!!! We had to wash EVERYTHING and move to a new room. They tried to blame it on allergies. We only had issues when we were on the beds. Both my husband, two children and self were fine all day and had no problems when we were in the new room. Our family has been to Disney and many other hotels and has NEVER had any problems with allergies. The sad thing is they cleaned the room in the morning and put another family in the room with the bed bugs.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Not just a hotel!

This resort has Indoor surfing, huge wave pool, magnificent lazy river, tube slides, body slides, family raft rides, zero depth entry interactive play areas and so much more! A great place to vacation even during the winter months since most of the entertainment areas are all inside. Plus, there rooms can accomodate familes very comfortably and are decorated very nicely.

Directions: Take I-90 West to Exit 170 B. Continue to follow I-90 West, it will turn into Rt. 2. Follow Rt. 2 to the exit for Sandusky/Norwalk Rt. 250. Make a left onto Rt. 250. Kalahari will be approximately 1 mile down on the left.

• nice park. staff not helpful.

Came to Kalahari to enjoy a few days away.
    The park itself is amazing with lots of wonderful attractions for the kids. Our stay has been enjoyable from that regard. However, we found the staff to be not helpful.
    At the wavepool when there are abandoned tubes, they just leave them there instead of collecting them. At one point there were 6 rows deep of tubes and small children were getting caught up in them. Myself and one other dad finally got frustrated with it as all the staff was standing around and doing nothing and we started moving the tubes off to the side and we were actually told not to move them because we were putting them in peoples way....unbelievable!!

Our two year old got sick so we spent most of the day in the room which was a bummer but...it happens. We were planning on just having a quiet day in and relaxing and watching TV. Their satellite system was down so most of the tv stations wouldn't come through. With a sick two year old in a hotel room with no tv, we were stuck doing pay per view and the hotel wouldn't comp us a single movie even though it was their tv system that was down. We talked to an extremely unhelpful manager named Esther. I am totally amazed that a resort this size has managers who are not authorized to comp even a single pay per view movie when their satellite is down and they have a customer with a sick child.

• hdh002's Profile Photo

Largest indoor waterpark!

We stayed at Kalahari in October of 2007 and were generally pleased with our stay. The waterpark had all the rides, pools, that the typical waterpark has. The resort is doubling the size of the waterpark and it will become the largest in the country. The costs are high for food and rooms, but we were able to book a weekend special and it cut the cost back. Great place for a family getaway or reunion. The waterpark is geared for bigger kids.

Unique Quality: Largest indoor waterpark and building more!

Directions: State Hwy. 250 between Ohio Turnpike (I-80) and State Route 2

More about Kalahari Resort

The Kalahari was Exceptional!

We just returned from a long weekend at the Kalahari- Our family enjoyed every minute of our stay. Our kids ranged from 3 to 31 years of age, and all of us gave this resort a 5 star rating. We rented the village suite which was immaculately clean and provided everything we needed. The staff was so friendly and wanted very much to supply our every need. The waterpark was beautifully layed out with something to do at all times for everyone. I especially enjoyed creating a ceramic treasure at the pottery studio. The restaurants were beautifully decorated and the food was delicious. We especially loved the breakfast and dinner buffet which was decently priced. Kahunaville offered the best meatloaf in town. My sons especially liked the coconut shrimp appetizer. We had tickets to Cedar Pointe, but honestly we didnt need them. There is really no reason to leave this resort. They have it all! Pointe lines were way too long. My family only rode a few rides. Impossible to get on the dragster. All of us agreed we should have spent another day at Kalahari. Make your reservation you won't be disappointed! Sincerely, The Betteley Family

I Really Miss Kalahari!

I stayed at Kalahari from Aug 5-8th and loved every moment of it. I too was planning a Cedar Point trip for 5+ teenagers and was looking for a fun place to stay. Well my first stop was cast away bay, but after reading the reviews on this site I thak God I did not book a room there. However; I did book a room at Great Wolf, but after reading more reviews-I found out that it catered to smaller children, and someone recommended Kalahari. I cancelled my reservations and lost money but didn't care. I immedaitely booked a room at Kalahari. I read the reviews about how nice the staf was etc. But, I found this to be true before I even arrived. You see, I had requested the other two resorts to mail me some brochures, and did the same with Kalahari-how bout I never recv'd anything from cast away bay, and recv'd one brochure (reqt'd 6) from Great Wolf 2 wks later. But Kalahari and recv'd in 2 days! So, I thought this staff must have it together.

Okay-arrival day. We travled 2 hours from Michigan to Sandusky. When we pulled up to Kalahari we knew we were at a first class resort. We were offered Valet service for $9 a day. They unloaded our vehicle and waiting patiently until we checked in and brought our bags to our room. Check in was as smooth as silk!

Went to our room-and it was very spacious. The Desert room comfortable fits 6 people. We immediately changed into our bathing suits and checked out the waterpark. From the Lazy river to the indoor/outdoor whirlpool this place was Awesome. True- the roller coaster does splash a lot of water in your face; which does take away from the ride! What I loved was that lifeguards were posted everywhere-even around the lazy river.

The only problem we ran into was with the maid service. We had a very rude person assigned to our room. She was rushing us to get out and refused to clean while we were in the room. This made me very suspicious. When it came time to check out on Sunday 08/07/05 I talked to Nancy C. (Manager) about our poor treatment on Saturday & Sunday mornings, and she was very concerned and offered us compensation for another nights stay-which wegladly accepted.

Oh yeah, before I forget. We took a trip to Great Wolf to see if we missed out on anything! Let me just tell you that my crew was running out of Great Wolf singing the Kalahari song. Speaking of that-What's cool about the TV's at Kalahari is that you can toon in to a channel and actually see what is going on at the waterpark. You can see if the park is crowded-you can even check on the kids. It's awesome!

Today is 08/16/05 and I have thought about Kalahari everyday. If I could-I would live at Kalaharii! am planning a trip to go back in October of this year. Hey, when you go-please compliment the staff on their uniforms-they need a "little' encouragement!

Great Room and Indoor Waterpark too!!

by TripAdvisor Member bluefield

I was looking for a motel close to Cedar Point for my family (July 27 - 29) when I came across Kalahari Resort. It is wonderful and just down the road from Cedar Point. We enjoyed the Resort so much, we stayed an extra day! Kalahari opened May 2005 with an additional wing opening July 2005. The rooms were African decor, even with misquito netting over the beds. The rooms were spacious, extra towels stored conveniently, a nice refrigerator and our room even had a Real Fireplace!
The Indoor Waterpark was excellent. Numerous water activities for all ages - tubing on the lazy river, surfing, basketball area, area for small children, numerous water slides and even a water rollercoaster! You could even watch water activities from your room on two channels of the TV. Also, they had other out of water activities too!
The food was excellent. A sit down restaurant overlooking the water park or a cook to order buffet, both resonably priced. Also a corner store with ice cream, etc. and a "starbucks" type coffee shop with pastry and sandwiches.
I would recommend this facility to anyone of any age.

Great Place for teenagers

My husband and I and our 4 kids (6,8,12, and 14) went and stayed at Kalahari Resort. I found it on the internet when checking out Great Wolf Lodge by Cedar Point. I'm so glad I found it because it was more than double the size of Great Wolf and So much more to do. The kids loved the water park and 5 hours at Cedar Point and they wanted to go back to the resort. We stayed 4 days and only left one time to go to cedar point. The smaller kids loved the indoor play area and the older kids enjoyed doing the pottery. At night when my husband and I and the younger ones headed back to the room to relax, the older two headed to the arcade and met several others their age. They could be down at the arcade until it closed at midnight and I didn't have to worry about them because they were close by and lots of employees on site if anything were to happen. The staff were very friendly and helpful. My absolute only complaint of the whole stay was the buffet restaraunt. It was very slow but good once the food arrived. The sit down restaraunt was much better. I would strongly suggest anyone with kids staying at this resort. We got a 3 room suite that would hold up to 12 and it was perfect because everyone had their own bed and with a full kitchen and dining room table we could eat some of our meals in the room which is always a plus with kids that eat around the clock!!! We drove 6 hours from Kentucky to get there but I would do it again in a heartbeat. The kalahari is the best resort I've ever seen and tops most at Disneyworld for a much cheaper price. I can't say enough about it.

Well worth the Drive!

by TripAdvisor Member ltgnd

Just spent 4 days at the Kalahari with 2 other families. 11 kids in all. We drove 10 hours from New York to ride the coasters at Cedar Point. The Kalahari was great. Everyone loved it. The kids loved the waterpark and the outside zero entry pool was a great place to hang out. The adults could sip cocktails while the kids splashed in the pool. The smallest room was more the enough for a family of 5. The buffet restaurant was very good and all around the service was excellent especially the bartender poolside. We stayed at the pool all day and hit Cedar Point at night. Could have easily stayed at the reort all night too. We were sorry we didnt stay longer. Already planning next years trip to the Kalahari. First rate all the way!

Did all these people really stay there?

by TripAdvisor Member tivopod

I am heading to Kalahari next week, however after reading these reviews even the person that had a mouse problem can't say enough great things about this place. I feel like I should book my trip again next year before I get there this year. Excited to see if this place is really this excellent.

Comments