Maples Motel

4409 Cleveland Rd, Sandusky, Ohio, 44870, United States

More about Maples Motel

Great Motel

by TripAdvisor Member Bravedog

The motel is a great money saver. I have three kids and we stayed in two adjoined rooms. Each room had a queen bed and a fold-away cot. This room configuration gives you two bedrooms and two baths for less than most other places charge for just one room.
Payment is expected in advance. They do not take American Express but they do take other credit cards.
The swimming pool was excellent. It looked very clean but we didn't have time to use it.
The best thing was the service. The owner lives on property and she is the nicest person in the world and helped us with everything.
Please keep in mind that the room is BASIC. The bathrooms and rooms are small, so do not expect much. It is great for a motel but does not compare to the quality of a typical Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn, for example. Additionally, as others have noted, there is a train that will wake you up. During our two night stay, between four and six trains passed through each night. They have ear plugs in the office, though... and donuts and coffee too!

If you need basic, good priced accomodations in a nice environment with good service, then this is for you. Do not expect a luxury experience. This is, after all, a motel.

Ambience abounds

by TripAdvisor Member rav4mom

I stayed at the Maples on July 10 - 11. There were four of us in two different rooms so the furniture was somewhat different with one room having a refrigerator. The Maples was like stepping back in time with the decor, grounds, service and the train. The furniture was older but in very good shape. The rooms themselves were very clean. The hotel has a large lawn that is very well kept and the pool was clean with a nice deep end. The sevice was excellent. The owners of the hotel go out of their way to see that you have a nice stay. I asked when the pool closed and was told 10. I was told they would keep it open until 12 for us to use. Shortly after midnight a lady came and started to what we thought was lock the pool gate. She said she was going to show us how lock the gate and stay as long as you wish. As for the train it fits the era you are stepping back into when the steel rail was king and service met everything. You don't find many small family owned places any more. When you do relax, enjoy the surroundings, service and ambience. I know we did when we were at the Maples. And as an added bonus the neon sign at night is great.

Where hospitality originated

by TripAdvisor Member cardog57

My wife and I stayed here for 6 days in July. If you're looking for a 4 star hotel, this is not the place. But, if you like cleanliness, friendly owner and staff this is it. Rates are fantastic for this area and they have a nice pool too. I travel many weeks a year on business and it's hard to find a nice old fashioned "mom & pop" motel these days. I highly reccomend the Maples.

Very Nice

by TripAdvisor Member blayf

Our stay at Maples Motel was very pleasant. We are a family of two adults and two teenage boys. The motel property is obviously quite old but very well kept up and clean. We always look for "mom and pop" type establishments as our first choice when we travel and this one is exactly right. Judging by the other occupants, this motel is also very popular for families with younger children, too. My only gripes were that it was a little more expensive than other "mom and pop" motels of this age (but in line with the rest of the motels in the area) and that it is across the street from a railroad track intersection that can get trains passing through a few times a day (and night). Other than that...perfect!

Good for the money!

by TripAdvisor Member aarodg

This review is mostly based for tourists who want to visit Cedar Point, but are leary and unsure if they should visit non-property Cedar Point hotel. If you're interested and don't have small children, the Maples should definately be an option.

Staying at Hotel Breakers in 2003, I did enjoy the convenience of being on the property right beside the park, but not $200+/night rooms. So decided to go by the reviews here on tripadvisor and try the Maples Motel. My wife and I stayed 3 nights and for a price of $69/night for a queen-sized bedroom. Overall, it was actually a very good stay.

Here are things to know if you stay.

The positive outweighs the negative - being in comparison I what I paid for from Hotel Breakers in 03:
-A short, no-traffic, 5-minute drive on the causeway straight to Cedar Point is less than 1/4 mile from the property.
-Outdoor Pool, not heated.
-Very, very good price - if you're only interested in Cedar Point - and not all the amenities/conveniences of a resort
-No Phone in rooms (who needs one these days)
-Bathroom very tiny. The sink has the separate H and C handles that you have to hold onto to keep on.
- Extremely nice staff, housekeeping came by every day.
- our Room wasn't musty and didn't stink, but had a older scent to it - I read some of the reviews about the Sandcastle Suites smelling really dingy and urine....glad I stayed at the Maples for sure.
- Trains do go by pretty frequently 10-20 per night, but after the second night, seemed to get used to it.
- Was told the mattresses were new, but they were the hardest I've ever been on - Hint: Riding Mean Streak at Cedar Point knocked my back, back in place.
- Water pressure great/hot water great (for 2 people anyways)
- Air conditioning adequate (left it on Max - stayed cozy)
- Perkins Road goes straight over to the Mall area quick w/o any traffic
-We were able to get to our room at the Maples Motel from the Cedar Point parking lot in almost the time than it took for us to walk to our room when we stayed at Hotel Breakers coming from the side causeway road. - this was on a Thursday night after closing. A big PLUS when you're exausted.
-We have children (didn't bring them this time - too small) and probably wouldn't stay here if the kids came due to the size of the room. But if we came as a couple, would definately stay again!
- The room we stayed in only had one-lock (no dead bolt) but still felt safe and not in danger in any way. The owners home is right beside of the property.
- Heard people talking in the room when on the outside of the rooms at times, but couldn't hear this once we were in our room.
- Rooms have an original 50's decor - very clean, not dingy and actually has charm, but for the price, I'm not complaining.
- Withing walking distance to Osborn park/biking trails (didn't have time to try it)
- Our room didn't have a micro-fridge (read some reviews that did have them)

Great Staff

by TripAdvisor Member shilton1

I stayed at the Maples Motel for two nights, planning on going to Cedar Point. It was raining when we arrived at the motel and the staff there told us what the weather forecast was for both days we were going to attend the park and told us what channel to tune to so we could watch the weather ourselves. They also gave us directions to a few places where we could go and of things to do while the weather was still bad. The staff was very helpful and extremely friendly. I recommend this motel.

Look no further.

by TripAdvisor Member Lab24e

My wife and I wanted to make a stop in Sandusky on the way home from a longer east coast roadtrip. We figured a day or two at Cedar Point would be a great way to cap off the trip before returning to work season in Chicago. By the end of our trip money was getting tight and we wanted to focus our funds on having fun in the park as opposed to a heavily priced resort with ammenities we would not use this time. We were only looking for a place to sleep after an eventful day outside, at a great price. We found the Maples Motel and read the reviews here online and decided to give it a go. I must say, if your intention is exactly what ours was... then this IS the place. It is older but VERY clean.... smaller but functional, comfortable and charming.... and for the price it CANNOT be beat. Spend your money in the park.... come back to the Maples tired, sleep well, go back and spend the money you saved the next day, or use it for the ferry ride to one of the islands! Sure, the train can be loud.... but if your tired like we were... it becomes ambient noise like leaving the TV on or something. The family/staff are extremely accomodating and informative... (they have been in the area for decades and they know everything). If you want a fancy room, and fancier ammenities, then move on. However, if you want to make an economical trip to Cedar Point, and your concern is the comfort of knowing you are in a clean, safe room, with a good mattress, without spending 100-200 a night, the Maples cannot be beat. For the great reat, it is exactly what it claims to be! We will return next year, hopefully bringing some better weather! -Chris

Relax OR Ride!

by TripAdvisor Member Dickerdo

We found the Maples Motel a few years ago while trying to find a place that was reasonable. Being Cedar Point was just a short ride away from most hotels / motels, that were, I thought, expensive for no more than a place to stay for the night. Turns out the Maples had a cancellation and we were able to get a room. This place is in the country, with a pool, and wildlife in abundance. It's a place to just lay back and relax when not zipping around the tracks of the roller coasters at Cedar Point. The owner / operators of the Maples turned out to be really nice people that bend over backwards to make sure your stay is a good one.
The only negative thing I can say about this place is the trains that run close by. You do get used to it and now I even enjoy watching the trains but I'm sure it would be annoying to some.
Really a nice place for the price and the convenience to the Point. What else can I say. We'll be Back.

On a tight budget and heading up to Sandusky? This a good choice.

by TripAdvisor Member Jerseythursday

As far as $50, peak season, Sandusky hotels I can safely guess this is the nicest. Not exactly on par with the Hotel Breakers, but at one-sixth the cost, it does just fine. But you better be a hard sleeper. The train crossing is across the street and the regular horn blasts kept my wife up most the night. In addition, I was summoned by my hysterical kids to kill a big spider in the bathroom. As a regular spider killer, I thought I’d seen them all, but this baby was a beast. Did make a nice squishing sound when I finally got hold of it in a paper towel.
I would have to agree with the reviewer with regards to the paper-thin walls, we could not only hear our neighbors but smell their smoke as well.
I don’t want to be too harsh, the people that run the place are nice as they can be and the grounds and pool are very well maintained. On a tight budget and heading up to Sandusky? The Maples may very well be your solution

Old-fashioned motel right next to Cedar Point

by TripAdvisor Member lippi

This was our third stay at the Maples. This time we stayed in room #20 with 2 double beds and a mini-fridge. They also have several rooms with one queen bed. The Maples is not a fancy place, but it is quite clean. The bathrooms in the rooms with double beds are a little bigger (although there was a little bit of peeling paint in ours).

Our daughter had fun swimming in the pool (very clean). And we ordered pizza from Chet and Matt's, delivered to our door, and enjoyed at one of the patio tables on the property.

As others have mentioned, there are a number of trains that go through at night. But they didn't really bother us as it fits in with the old-time charm of the Maples.

The complimentary donuts and coffee in the morning were great!

So, if you want a bargain (we paid $55 including tax) and friendly service. go to the Maples.

Comments