1 Cedar Point Dr., Sandusky, Ohio, 44870, United States
Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Sandcastle Suites

Just plain disappointing

Being that this was the first real family vacation we had taken, it was somewhat of a let down. Now, I know that amusement park hotels are pricey, so the amount we paid was expected. However, we reserved a suite for 6 and were told that there was a large and comfy sleeper sofa-queen size in the 'living room'. The sleeper sofa was broken when we arrived, but the hotel management did give us a 50% off discount for this inconvenience, so they were very accomodating in that area. However, the 'living room' area was so small that only 3 people could watch TV in that room at one time. The bathroom was tiny, to say the least, and very dimly lit. The elevator did not work for half of our visit, and it was VERY hot climbing 3 flights of stairs. The outdoor pool wasn't very large, but it was clean and accomodated our 5, 8, and 2 month old very well. However, at night, don't bother. The insects invade and there isn't an inch of water not covered by them. And with all the lights needed to keep the pool lit and safe, the bugs swarm in large masses and you end up swallowing half as you just try and walk to a pool chair. T
Overall, the 'suite' was just very small and cramped for the price we paid. And every time someone so much as walked past your room you could hear everything they did/said. The halls to the elevator stairs are open air so extemely hot during the day time. And if you plan to take the shuttle from the hotel to the park you better get in line atleast 20 minutes early. The shuttle fills up so quickly and people are very RUDE and will sit on you to not have to wait another half hour for the next shuttle. Also, if you do stay here, ask for a beach view or you'll end up looking at a parking lot and campers.
As I said before, we expected the price, but not the conditions. We will not stay here again unless the prices drop by 1/2.

Friendly Staff, and small accommodations

by TripAdvisor Member tmw017

My family of 4 just returned from Sandcastle Suites. I was not impressed with the room. It is definitely overpriced for the size and cleanliness. We had a Suite with a pool view. The bedroom had 2 queen beds, a TV, and the living room (I would call it a sitting room, as it is small) had a sofa sleeper, dorm-sized refrigerator, microwave, TV, and a small coffee maker. Complimentary coffee is also provided in the hotel lobby. The sofa had stains on it, and the carpet also had dark “goo” stained in it. The queen beds were very comfortable. There was a vanity/sink area (with 3 doors - 1 to the bedroom, 1 to the “sitting room” and the other to tub/shower/toilet room, approximately 5 feet by 4 ½ feet). Only 1 person could fit in here (unless the 2nd stood in the tub!). The pool was small at the hotel, and many people used it. The air conditioning worked great! It kept the room really cool. It was a little loud, but I sleep with earplugs (snoring family member) so it didn’t bother me. The front desk staff could not answer questions about the package booklet coupons they give you upon check-in (specifically the dining dollars). The staff and front desk staff were friendly and tried to be as helpful as they could. The stairway was hot, especially the 3rd floor, as the stairwell is not enclosed. Would I stay here again? I don’t think so….I would stay at the Hotel Breakers, in the newer sections, which is a few steps to one of the park entrances, and which also had a newer external appearance. The shuttles were always crowded, and we stood most times we rode them.

What a Nightmare!

by TripAdvisor Member mmh1517

We just returned from Sancastle Suites yesterday and it was the worst! We were told it would comfortably fit 6 guests...not true. We were told it had a spacious living room.....not true. We were also told it was a non-smoking room....not true either! Everything about this place was horrible. We had four adults and two children and we were so cramped, we could not move without banging into one another. The lobby looked great, so we were very excited to see our "suite," but what a joke when you open the door! The room was filthy, complete with the hugest stains on the carpet and sofa! There were ants crawling on the floor, and consequently they ended up in our suitcases and car seat. YUCK! It smelled like someone had just chain smoked 100 packs of cigarettes and the water in the toilet was yellow?? Don't be fooled by the so-called "balcony" which is really a small screened in cage which makes you feel like you are in jail at best. It was quite a disappointment, for $284 a night you would at least expect a microwave or a small coffee maker, don't expect one at this place. When we tried to complain to the cleaning staff, they either ignored us, or did not speak english. We thought it would be nice to be close to Cedar Point, but with the insects, foul smells, and dirty accomodations, it just was not worth it. Save your money and pass on this one.

Blandcastle Suites ... cheap, moldy, smelly and overrated

by TripAdvisor Member baubieed

I travel for business every week and stay in simple business hotels like Fairfield Inns and Hampton Inns, so I am used to rates around $100/night. Granted that one is paying for location, this place, like all other Cedar Point properties is a dump.

The main reason is that all CP rooms have air conditioning that is moldy (I have allergies to mold and immediately block up when I walk into the rooms.) There is a cheap fan that blows the air from the A/C to the bedroom. The carpet underneath the A/C was soaked.

The beds are fine, although there are no mattress covers. We had two queens stuffed into a room with a sad excuse for a living room, that included a hideaway bed.

Where CP could cut corners, they did. The woodwork is cheap, the place is decorated like an 80s nightmare and the building looks like an Eastern European cell block.

Furthermore, the air fresheners in the public bathrooms smell like a cheap musk, the wastebaskets smell like vomit and the carpet freshener smells, well I won't say.

The staff was very nice and we were close to the park, stated as before.

Dirty Dump

by TripAdvisor Member cjshopper

For $256 per night I expected a room that was clean. The floor in the bathroom looked like it had never had anything but a damp mop touch it. The carpet was filthy!!!!!! The screened in area was not usable because the air conditioner from the unit above was constantly leaking water so that our area was all wet and moldy. The air conditioner was very loud. We were told there would be a coffee pot and and microwave and brought food accordingly. When we called the desk to ask about it, we were told that some of the rooms have these items and some don't and pretty much it is just the luck of the draw. We had to ask for our beds to be made and fresh towels. The water was yellowish brown. It did not appear safe to brush your teeth with much less drink.
The convenience of being within walking distance of the park was the only positive thing about our stay there. But, certainly not worth paying $256 a night to stay in such an unsanitary room.

not really worth full price

by TripAdvisor Member casualtravel

I have stayed at othr CP properties so I was not totally surprised that there are a lot of bugs. Normal for the proximity to the lake. Staff helpful and courteous. To pay full price would be outrageous for this type of hotel. It is complete price gauging. We rebooked our stay to the end of Aug and got a $100 refund becuase the price drops as it is now off season. Since it was raining we couldn't do much outside so I called over to Castaway bay and since we were already CP guests to go there after 4pm and use the indoor water park on a pass is only $9/person!!!! It is open till 10 and made our trip worth while. We were told micro - didn't get it! Smoke alarm went off in the morning and they evacuated the building and were very quick getting us back in the building. The room was very outdated, remote control didn't work, bathroom very small!! Unusual odor in the hallways! Screened in balcony not really useable because air conditioner above constantly leaks! I would recommend staying at Hotel Breakers (new section only) before I stayed there again. Or simply stay else where in Sandusky and drive in each day.

What a relief!

by TripAdvisor Member Zukiguy

What a relief. I still booked the hotel after reading some of the reviews, but had some reservations. My family of 4 took advantage of a package price for a Lakeview room. The package included two nights stay, two twilight park admissions, two full day admissions, park "munch money" for use at selected eateries, and four tickets to the Challenge Park (added fee activities). I was plesantly surprised.
To respond to some of the other reviews:
1). No the rooms were not spotless, but they were clean. This is a family oriented place and anybody who has children should understand that you can't expect perfection. Yes there were some stains on the carpet and some furnishings were slightly worn, but I personally can live with this.
2). The hotel does use some sort of cleaner/air freshener that has kind of an apple cinnamon scent and it did come off a little strong, but I didn't feel like they were trying to hide a lack of cleaning. This aroma is everywhere, not just in the rooms, and after a short while we really didn't notice it.
3). The screens on the balcony do make it seem closed in, but anybody who has spent any time in the area durring the insect season (Muffleheads and Canadian Soldiers) will attest to the benefit of having screens.
All-in-all we were very pleased with our stay. The walk to the park was not far and the times that we used the shuttle, we never waited more than 15 minutes. The staff was friendly and courteous. My children had a blast, and in the end, isn't that what is really important?

Not worth the price.

by TripAdvisor Member FutureExpatriates

The first two rooms they tried to give us smelled horribly of mold. They finally "upgraded" us to a lake view room that did not smell too bad. The hallway smell of air freshener is overwhelming! The bellman that showed us our final room said all their rooms smell and that the Breakers is not any better. Not really worth $150 a night just to get in the park an hour early. We will definitely stay off sight next time!

Dirty Dingy Nasty Outdated Hated Stay Filthy

by TripAdvisor Member lahenry

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights 3 days. hotel was dirty dingy stinky filthy and outdated. Broken glass on balconey and dirt. Ceiling fan had not be wiped off since last year. Dust was flying everywhere when turned on. Sofa dirty and arms torn. No grass on property only dirt and bugs. Major dust and dirt in ever corner and crack of room. Windows dirty. Only stayed and endure because grandaughter wanted to be ;near beach and could not get another room. Was given 25% discount, what a joke. I took pictures and would like to have someone investigate hotel condition. i will never stay there again. you should not either

Disgusting Place!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Kadooshaa

I had booked online with Sandcastle Suites(Cedar Point) & it was a horrible experience. The pictures online compared to being there...was totally different!! We walked into the rooms & we felt like we were walking into a cockroach hotel. For the price Sandcastle Suites are awful & I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. My opinion this hotel was a bad place for a family with kids to enjoy & was tempted to drive 5 hours back home!!
The rooms were dirty, run down & had noticed hair, crumbs in the couch & was not willing to open the bed up to see what's in there.!!

Comments