Fort Washita lies approximately 15 miles east of Durant. Spread out on a 150-acre site, this historical site contains the well-preserved, partially restored remains of an American Indian fort built in 1842.
The fort was built for the Choctaw and Chickasaw Indians for protection from the Plains Indians, as well as by pioneers travelling west. The Confederate Army last occupied the fort during the Civil War. After that time the Colbert family who were leaders of the Chickasaw Nation used the buildings. The historical society acquired the site of the old fort in 1962. Extensive archaeological and documentary investigations were undertaken to reconstruct the 1849 barracks.