Hotel Ambassador

Rated 13% higher but also costs 109% more than other 3.5 star hotels

More about Tulsa

Blue Dome DinerBlue Dome Diner

Lyons and Tulsa TreasuresLyons and Tulsa Treasures

Brooks and Dunn get up close at the Cain'sBrooks and Dunn get up close at the Cain's

Old Warehouse Market #2Old Warehouse Market #2

Travel Tips for Tulsa

Long Gone Grotto Courts - Where I Lived in 1945

by AlbuqRay

Right after World War II we returned to Tulsa where both of my parents were from. The first place we lived was the Grotto Courts, which was an old motel on Route 66 (11th and Hudson) where the railroad crossed. I think I was around 3 years old (1945-46) and we lived in the 3rd unit on the east side. Of course the Grotto Courts are long gone now. In 2008 the railroad tracks were still there but had not been used in a long time.

Some of my first memories are from there. They include a circus train stopping one time. There was a box car loading ramp in the field on the west side of the tracks. They brought the animals out to exercise them; an elephant got away and walked through a hedge in the back of one of the houses to the west. I can still remember a woman screaming. LOL, I would also if I were in Tulsa, OK, in my backyard and an elephant came through my hedge.

I also remember getting stung by wasps in the back of my neck after throwing rocks at a nest hanging from the eave of one of the burned out units in the back. The guy on the south side of us would catch giant catfish (3-4 feet long) and clean them in his backyard. I used to play with Barbara and the other kids in the flower bed in the front, right by the highway. There was a White Castle Restaurant across the street.

Oklahoma Aqaurium - immerse yourself!

by BixB

Tulsa's newest quality attraction is the Oklahoma Aquarium, and it is well worth a visit. Located on the banks of the Arkansas River in the suburb of Jenks, the Oklahoma Aquarium presents more than 4,000 aqautic creatures in almost 200 exhibits arranged in ten themed galleries. All of the displays are very well done, presenting as natural a setting as possible. The centerpiece is the "Shark Adventure" in which you walk through acrylic tunnels to a domed room in the middle of the exhibit, completely surrounded by the 500,000 gallon tank and its inhabitants, including the largest bull sharks in captivity (and they are BIG!). The OA is a definite must-see for families visiting Tulsa! Note that the Aquarium stays open until 9pm on Tuesdays.

Tulsa, Oklahoma

by Paulie_D

Unfortunately, I only stopped here for lunch on my way to Oklahoma City on my Route 66 bus tour so that's the only tip I can provide.

If you got here from my Route 66 Album, click the link to go back. - RETURN