11500 West I-40 Service Road, Yukon, Oklahoma, 73099, United States
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Travel Tips for Yukon

Have you ever eaten a kolache?

by Morjem911

"The Czech Festival"

Well, I never really thought of Yukon, Oklahoma as a place to have a web page about, but I guess there are some interesting things going on here...... Yukon is the home of Garth Brooks, as you will see no matter which way you take in or out of town! It's not too far from Norman, Oklahoma where I will be found every Saturday the Sooners play a home game! Famous Route 66 runs through the middle of town, which is neat I guess, but probably by far, my favorite thing about living in Yukon is the Czech Festival! It takes place on the first Saturday in October (you just hope it's an off week for the Sooners). Yukon is officially known as the Czechoslovak Capital of Oklahoma because so many people from Czechoslovakia settled here in the late 1800s.

During the Czech Festival, there is a parade in the morning, and thousands of kolache's sold and eaten, and even frozen to enjoy the rest of the year! A kolache is a small sweet bun usually filled with fruit or cheese. If you haven't had one, they are delicious! After the sun sets, EVERYONE heads off to Czech Hall to Polka dance the night away and enjoy more kolaches and pitchers of beer!

Comments