Super 8 Ashland

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 126 reviews
Orbitz.com Travelocity

Ruined my wedding

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 6, 2010

Several months ago I called our local Super 8 and reserved a block of 15 rooms in anticipation of my upcoming wedding. The group block was reserved to start on 6/11/10 and go for three nights (6/11/10, 6/12/10, and 6/13/10). My wedding was on 6/13/10. When I called to book the reservation I gave the clerk my name and contact information and offered a credit card to hold the reservation. However, the clerk assured me that since my father and grandmother had already made reservations that the block of rooms could simply be held under their names. The two rooms for my father and grandmother were originally to begin on 6/10/10. However, my father later called to change their rooms to start on 6/11/10 as well. Unfortunately, there was obviously some error at the Super 8 and they thought that all 17 rooms were to be held for the night of 6/10/10. Apparently they "lost" my contact information and only had a home phone number for my dad (who was en route to Oregon). When I was finally made aware of the situation on 6/11/10 (Super 8 found my Uncle's cell phone number and called him who then called me) I was told very abruptly by the manager, Mr. Patel, that I was being held responsible for 17 rooms that were held in error on the night of 6/10/10. He told me that the card used to book the reservations would be charged for the 17 unclaimed rooms as a "no show" fee. He had already run the card (belonging to my father) for three rooms and it had declined further transactions so he then threatened that he would charge the remainder of the rooms to my grandmother's card as she had just checked in and had given a credit card to be held on file. I explained that I was en route to my rehearsal and with a wedding and all that I would do my best to stop by and sort out what happened, but that he was in no way to charge either my father or grandmother for any of those rooms as they had not authorized those charges. On the two separate occasions within the next few days I stopped by the manager was not available on site. I learned later that he only works 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. which fairly limits the hours during which a customer might contact him. On the second of these attempts at contact his desk clerk offered to call him at home for me so I might speak with him. However, he refused to let me finish a sentence and kept repeating that the situation was my fault and that they lost business because of it. He was incredibly intimidating and rude and upon the end of the conversation his desk clerk apologized repeatedly and said that he is like that with all females. I then contacted customer service for Super 8 and filed a complaint. The manager responded via email re-stating again that it was a case of "no show" for the reservation and that he had the right to charge for those rooms. However, the first line of the email stated that the original reservation (for which, by the way, I never received any contract or documentation of) was for 3 nights. Yet why would I reserve rooms for 3 nights leading up to my wedding and not for my wedding night?! I again stated my case in an email reply which was cc'd to Super 8 headquarters and asked for documentation of related charges and gave the confirmation numbers for the change of the two rooms. After a week of not hearing any reply I again contacted customer service who told me that since it was a group booking they could not step in and that I needed to resolve it directly with the hotel. My father also checked with his bank who reported charges issued by the Super 8 (beyond my father's actual room charges) totaling over $1000.00 in the two days following the wedding. After doing some research and reading reviews on tripadvisor.com I have found that this is not the first time this situation has occurred at this hotel(although previous ones involved only a single room). Additionally, my mother-in-law paid cash for her room, yet her credit card that she gave to hold the room was also charged such that she paid double for her room (this has also happened before as reported on tripadvisor.com). I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau as well as the Consumer Protection Agency and if this does not resolve the matter I intend to take this individual and his hotel to small claims court. Be warned- do not stay here! And please, if anything like this has happened to you at this hotel please contact the appropriate agencies! This man should not be in management and this cannot continue!

Nearby Super 8 Ashland

• Free Parking
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Ashland Travel Forum

Need advice about Ashland, Oregon? Visit the Travel Forum for Ashland and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Ashland hotel reviews