1 Sunridge Ln, Baker City, OR 97814

The low side of Hells Canyon DamThe low side of Hells Canyon Dam

Hells Canyon Scenic BywayHells Canyon Scenic Byway

April Weather

by diamond_skies

I was checking the historic weather for Baker City and it seems last year in April it was quite chilly, with nighttime temps hovering around freezing. Is there likely to be much snow at this time? What about the road to Sumpter - is it likely to be icy?

Many thanks

Jane

RE: April Weather

by bevjerry

I can't speak for April weather since we've only been there in July and August. But I'd recommend contacting someone at http://www.visitbaker.com/ People in Baker are really nice and like to be helpful. I'm sure they'll answer your questions. We have played folk music at The National Historic Oregon Trail Interpretive Center for the past 12 years during the summer. If you're going to Baker you should allow a full day to visit the center. It's five miles out of town on the road to Hell's Canyon and it's one of the best museums we've ever seen in this country.

RE: RE: April Weather

by diamond_skies

Hi

Thanks for the info. The website says there is an average of 1.20 inches of snow in April! I used to live in La Grande and I don't remember it being that cold in April. Better pack my woolies.:o)

RE: RE: April Weather

by bevjerry

If you like Mexican food you should go to El Erradero in Baker City. It's on Broadway, at the corner of 2nd street I think. They also have one in La Grande.

Travel Tips for Baker City

Motorcyle trip of a Lifetime!!! (Overview)

by Camping_Girl

"Hells Canyon Motorcycle Rally"

We travelled to Baker City in May 2006 for the Hells Canyon Motorcycle Rally, this was the sixth annual, I believe. A lot of bikes and riders turned out for the rally. We met so many really great people. I can honestly say this is one of the best vacations I have ever taken.

Baker City is a beautiful little city. It is FULL of historic buildings, over 100 are on the National Historic Register. If you are an architecture buff like I am, you will love strolling through the streets and checking out all the old buildings.

"The trip - winding roads and no freeways!"

We left home (near Calgary, Alberta) on May 8th. It was cool when we left in the morning and we had all our gear on. By the time we stopped for lunch in Moyie Lake, BC it was so hot we were able to ride in our t-shirts! It took us about half an hour to clear customs at the Kingsgate border crossing. We rolled into Sandpoint, Idaho around 2:00 and did some mega shopping. (Okay, okay! I did some mega shopping while DH went and bought a bag to hold all the stuff I was buying. lol.) We spent the night in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Day 2 took us to Lewiston, Idaho where the great folks at Shumate HD replaced both tires on the bike for us and had us back on the road in record time. We rode through Rattlesnake Canyon between Lewiston and Enterprise, Oregon. This road is a must do for any motorcyclist! It is amazing! We pulled into Baker City around 6:00 pm on Day 2. We covered 750 miles in 2 days but the Electra Glide made that easy, since it's so comfortable to ride.

"The Hells Canyon and other Great Roads"

Day 3 we made the ride out to the Hells Canyon Dam, while on Day 4 we took a ride out to Sumpter to see the old gold mining dredge. Both were great roads. We left on Day 5 in the pouring rain and headed for Cambridge,Idaho and then north along the Salmon River to Riggins. Riggins proved to be one of our favorite stops on the whole route - loved the Seven Devils Steakhouse! We spent the night in Kooskia and had a great time in the bar there that night! Day 6 we rode along the Lochsa River and up over the Lolo Pass into Montana. There was still 3 ft of snow in the pass! A stop at the Lolo Hot Springs was in order and we stopped for the night in Missoula. Day 7 we rode out to Garnet ghost town, which I highly recommend. Later that day we rode to Bigfork, Montana and this proved to be another favorite stop. Day 8 we rode thru GNP, cleared customs and headed for home!

Comments