Red Lion Inn Bend North

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 86% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

• kiwi's Profile Photo

Great place to stay

We had a two night stopover at The Red Lion, Bend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We were two couples, our rooms were well equipped and comfortable. The lobby is lovely with fireplace, sofas and refreshments. Staff were ever helpful, and explicably polite and well presented. An all round delightful experience. I'd both stay again and recommend to friends.

Unique Quality: We enjoyed sitting in the lobby and just relaxing. There is a swimming pool on the grounds but we didn't use it. Also a restaurant adjacent to the carpark, so closeby to eat.

More about Bend

Cigar pub and outdoor patios for apres skiCigar pub and outdoor patios for apres ski

China Hat Rd. Deschutes National ForestChina Hat Rd. Deschutes National Forest

North rim view off of the top of South SisterNorth rim view off of the top of South Sister

Mtn Corgi enjoys sun by a waterfall on Tumalo CrMtn Corgi enjoys sun by a waterfall on Tumalo Cr

How's life in bend?

by TogaParty87

I might end up moving to Bend next year, and just wanted to know what its like to live there. It looks beautiful, but also quite small, and concidering I've grown up mostly in a major metropolitan area, I don't know if I'll be able to stand it very long.

Also, is it very cold there? I mean, I know it snows, but does it snow often? And when it does, or even when it doesn't, does it get to be really, really cold? Lik, freezing cold?

Just any info about basic life in Bend would be awsome.

Re: How's life in bend?

by butterfly_girl

Well I can't answer all your questions because I only lived in Bend for one summer about 6 years ago, so I know it has changed a lot. But, Bend is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Especially if you are an outdoors person. There are the most amazing hikes, waterfalls, beautiful drives in the cascade mountains, lava caves and really cool people. I have so many great memories of my short time there and I met people that I still keep in touch with now. Yes, it is a small community, when I was there the population was only about 30,000 in the city of Bend, but I'm sure the population has doubled or tripled by now. It is one of those cities that is listed as "best place to retire" and lots of people from California are discovering it's beauty. As far as employment opportunities and things like that....unless you are bringing money with you, the job market could be tough. That's the reason I didn't stay longer, I just couldn't find a good job around there. There are a lot of hospitality jobs and things like that. But, don't take my word for it alone, since I was not there for long. Hopefully some Bend locals will post here or you should look up some active VT members living in Bend and send them an e-mail.
As far as the cold thing....I do think it gets pretty cold in the winter there.....there is a popular skiing area there.
So, anyways, I hope this helps and if you do move there I hope you end up loving it as much as I did.

by Summer33

I agree alot with the previous reply, I've spent alot of time in Bend due to ski racing, and as previousy stated Bend is a great town full of opportunity for those outdoor lovers. Mt. Bachelor is one of the best places to ski in the Pacific Northwest, hiking, climbing, mountain bike riding, you name it, Bend has it. But I understand your concern with the transition from Metropolitan area to small town. I had lived in Seattle for 20 years and then moved to Eugene, OR to attend college 2 years ago, it was great for a year and the pace of life is something that I really enjoyed but after a year I got really anxious to get back to the big city way of life.
As far as the weather goes expect a cold snow filled winter, the town gets dumped on every year, its the perfect ski town, and if you love snow it shouldn't be a problem, basically winters are cold and full of snow and the summers are hot and dry! Hope this helps...good luck!

Re: How's life in bend?

by kcchik

We are planning a move this year (2005), as well, and I am trying to find a hip neighborhood that has lots of young kids and friendly, community oriented, neighbors. We are a young family from Denver,now living in Kansas City for the cost of living and want to move back to outdoor living, but hate how crowded and overpriced Denver has become. We have visited Bend 3x and are taking another trip out in 2 weeks, so I want to have a few places in mind to look at to save time. Any ideas would be sooo much help! Our price range is $250-$350
Thanks!

kcchik:

I had a friend that lived on NW Portland Street, zip code 97701, I remember the area around that as being a great neighborhood. Maybe you could do a mapquest of that area and look around there. Anything close to Drake Park or the downtown area would be great too. Best wishes on your move.

by kcchik

I've heard that the NW area is popular, but looking at real estate sites the NE & SE has some great deals on bigger homes than the west side.....I wonder if it's a school district thing? Hmmm...Do you still have friends in the area?

by butterfly_girl

I do still know a couple people living in Bend and they love living there. One friend of mine is a musician in the area. If you e-mail me I can give you his website and maybe you can write him for more info. about the area.

RE: How's life in bend?

by corgimom

I recently moved her and yes it is a site to see.. but what i have learned is that if you are under 40 and have kids you a outcast... i am 25 with 2 kids and get called the nanny quite often. what most dont seem to understand is that i live near them in the big house nice car area with them..... so if you have kids and are young dont count on making any new friends....this place is a big clique... most moms at the school are either dresed to kill or ready for the gym.... oh yeah if you have a crappy car expect lots of stares.... i made my husband get me a SUV so i could fit in.... stupid huh... but what do you do in a materialistic town... he who has the most is the best..

I like it here because it dose not rain.. it snows and that is much more fun...snowing very hard now... i live rather close to the mtn.. lots of stuff to do on the water, dirt and snow... very dog friendly so you can have 3 or 4 dogs and nobody would think anything of it... oh i forgot the cost of living is messed up... good luck finding a gallon of milk under 3.99 t

Travel Tips for Bend

Bend Tip

by sverige

Bend is where much of my family lives or has lived. It is sort of my second home. My fondest memories would have to be, Fireworks off of Pilot Butte with Root Beer floats, going to the summit of Mt. Bachelor, photograhing the Three Sisters & the Deschutes River, walking through Drake Park, the smell of such fresh air & juniper...only Bend has this.
Photo: View of Bend from on top of Pilot Butte

Smith Rock State Park25 miles...

by 10eke

Smith Rock State Park
25 miles north of Bend on Highway 97 -
The park marks a change of scenery as we drove north from Bend and Sisters toward the Columbia river. This is a beautiful area, ideal for a short leg-stretching while on the road. For mountain-climbers and bird-watchers it is a destination by itself, you will also find some mountain-climber-watchers!

Smith Rock State Park

Deschutes Brewery Home

by yooperprof

"Quaffers paradise"

Bend is a pleasant resort town in the Oregon Cascades. Many people from all over the west coast have moved here in recent year, adding effervescence to the local economy, but also causing a certain amount of friction between the old-timers and the newly arrived. Beer-lovers visit Bend for the wonderful Deschutes Brewery, which operates a brewpub in the tidy central business district. The modesty of the building shouldn't fool you - there's world class beer here. If you're a fan of hops, try the superbly brewed Mirror Pond Ale. American beer at its finest.

"Downtown scenes"

Slanted parking, just like the old days.

The Book Barn is an excellent independent bookseller. Stop here for local maps and books, for an interesting selection of new releases, or just to chat about Bend and Oregon with the intelligent sales clerks.

Comments