Hallmark Resort

1400 S. Hemlock St. (P.O. Box 547), Cannon Beach, Oregon, 97110-5447, United States

Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach
Hallmark Resort Booking.com Priceline.com

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo

Ocean-side luxury

I've never stayed here, mainly because it's a little spendier than I normally want to pay,
    but I've walked up its wooden staircase from the beach and though "someday."
    I did a little research, and those who enjoy a few more amenities than McBees Motel Cottage might like to know about this alternative.
    On traveladvisor.com Hallmark Resort was rated #3 among lodgings in Cannon Beach (Stephanie Inn was #1) with comments ranging from "most wonderful place I've ever stayed" to "great location, but ..." followed by gripes about no washcloths.
    However it's average rating was a five out of five; it was listed as a three star establishment.

Unique Quality: The hotel has 132 rooms; the best ones include a deck with a spectacular close-up view of Haystack Rock, jacuzzi, fireplace, mini-kitchen.
    The price range reported said "$59 to $425"; it seems when I checked into possible reservations, rooms I was interested in were in the $120-$150 range.

Directions: About a mile south of the main shopping area, right above the beach.

• guagliardo's Profile Photo

Friendly Birds

The seagulls were very tame and pleasant, until you offered food. Hotel regulations direct you NOT to feed the gulls on your balcony. Apparently many have done so though, since the are birds active, animated and ingenious beggars - much like our dogs!

• guagliardo's Profile Photo

Hotel

This was an excellent location, away from downtown and right next to Haystack Rock, yet an easy stroll to the eateries and shops of Cannon Beach. The balcony was not private, but the views were spectacular.

More about Hallmark Resort

by TripAdvisor Member debbieinSeattle

Hallmark Resort - Just returned from another visit to the Hallmark Resort in Cannon Beach, Oregon. We were fortunate enough to stay in a renovated room. Exactly the same, but just clean and fresh now. Staff couldn't be nicer, hotel sufficient for the beach. I think sometimes folks expect something spectacular and the hallmark isn't it. It's a good, family oriented place. My only two complaints/concerns is that the ceiling must have no insulaiton, could hear the kids running above us and conversations going on with mom and dad. They are also charging $20 a day extra to bring a pet, for that you get a basket with a sheet (for Fido to lay on), a towel to wipe Fido down, 2 milk bones, 2 poooper scoopers, a frisbee and travel water and waterbottle set. This steep price doesn't seem to stop folks from bringing their pets along.

very inconsistent

We love the view from the oceanfront rooms, however.....the rooms are small (especially the bathrooms) and the reservations are often not correct. The good vs bad experience depends on which reservation person handles your call....some are helpful and some curt and attitudinal. I always request a second floor room on the far south end and several times they have put us in a room that is on the north end of the complex. Once they actually booked us into the Hallmark suites, which has NO view!
I always request a 2nd floor room because it is easily accessed directly from the parking lot and prefer a south-end room because of the view and quiet. I cannot walk the very long distance from the only elevator at the far north end or down the very long stairs to the beach. The reason I choose the Hallmark is so I can at least enjoy WATCHING my family, and other families, enjoy themselves on the beach when I am unable to leave the room due to health issues. Also, while they advertise themselves as pet-friendly, the last two times we made a reservation we were told that the ground floor rooms (which are actually several steps UP from the basement parking garage) are the ONLY pet friendly rooms even though in prior years we had our pet with us in a 2nd floor room. The interesting thing was that the last time we were there (December 2005), after we vacated our 2nd floor room (having left our companion/helper dog at home because we were told we couldn't have a dog on the 2nd floor) the next party who had reserved the room we stayed in was arriving and they gave them a pet basket for the pet that was staying with them. It certainly makes us wonder why they made an accomodation for them and would not allow our non-barking, well-trained, companion/helper dog to stay with us. We do enjoy the pool.
Overall we do not see enough value to pay the rates particularly when they do not meet the needs we stipulated when making the reservation and are sometimes unhelpful. If there were another option for a view, we would not stay at the Hallmark because of their frequent improper handling of our reservation. We have been going to Cannon Beach and staying at the Hallmark at least 2X a year for about 15 years. You would think there would be some appreciation for long term guests and an improvement in the facility and reservation handling. Unfortunately, we haven't experienced that.

Another great trip to the Hallmark

by TripAdvisor Member doodlebugakj

We go to the Hallmark at least 3 times a year and always stay in the Hallmark Suites.. For the price, location and large rooms they can't be beat and love that it has it's own pool so we don't have to walk up to the big one unless the kids want to... Love having the bedroom with tv & vcr that we can put the kids in and then relax in the rest of the room in front of the fireplace. Be sure to get a room on the second floor for a pretty nice peek-a-boo view of the ocean. We like to stay in room 505 because it has a separate shower from the jetted tub so we can shower off after the beach or swimming while the kids get cleaned up in the tub! Having the frig, microwave and dish washer are so nice too for snack and reheating leftovers.. Wish they had a dvd player in the living room is about all it is lacking!

Great spot for kids

by TripAdvisor Member momto3girls

We just returned from a four-day stay at the Hallmark Resort (mom, dad, and 9, 5, and 2 year old girls). We had one of their suites with a NW view (room 245). It had a beautiful view of the ocean, but not Haystack Rock. But for this family from Wisconsin, we thought we were in heaven! :)

The unit was very nice -- I understand they were recently remodelled. It worked out great with a separate bedroom for the girls, and mom and dad sleeping in the bedroom in the main living room. We loved the big jacuzzi tub, and the fireplace was a nice treat on a cool summer day. It was nice to have a mini-fridge and microwave -- we ate breakfasts in our room, packed picnic lunches for the beach, and then went out to a restaurant each night.

The rooms were very clean and the staff managed to clean up the sand our family drug in. What a project!

Haystack Rock is just out in front of the hotel. With miles of a beautiful sandy beach to explore, tidepools, and a seashell collection to create, our kids didn't need anything else.

We would stay again!

Room badly needed to be renovated...

by TripAdvisor Member Biscuit24

We stayed at the Hallmark resort for 3 nights this summer. We stayed in an ocean front room, with a kitchenete, separate bedroom and pull down queen bed in the living room.

Our first impression upon entering the room was not good. It seemed dirty and badly needed to be renovated. The wallpaper, counters, tables all are a bad dull yellow color the looks like it came out of the 1970's. The interior doors are old and the paint is chipping away from the door trim...ugly and gross.

The bathroom sink is separate from the tub and toilet, but all and all the bathroom is very small. To open the bathroom door you have to step aside. There was also a constant leak from the tub faucet and the shower head just kind of spit out the water.

In the bedroom...the bed was quite uncomfortable and the wand of the mini blinds was broke.

One day when walking by the front desk, I thought I would inquire if any of the rooms at the hotel had been recently renovated, anticpating maybe a future stay and I would request one of those next time. The front desk staff said that the jacuzzi suites had been renovated and that each year they renovate a little more. They also asked what room I was staying in and when I told them, they said that it had been renovated about 3 years ago. I find that hard to believe, but if it is true the resort does not renovate very well!

The front desk was very helpful when I mentioned that our coffee pot was dirty/moldy. They promptly brought us another one.

The view of Haystack rock and the ocean was beautiful and the hotel is very inviting and well taken care of from the outside, maybe we just had an old room. Really we are not that picky, but for the price we paid, the quatlity was not even close to being there. Next time we will try one of the other hotels in Cannon Beach. The town of Cannon Beach is wonderful!

They Don't Know How to Treat Guests

by TripAdvisor Member wonderfulworld

We had a nice, freshly re-decorated room with a deck and a pleasant ocean view. The room had better than average lighting, a refrigerator, a microwave, and a coffee maker. A newspaper was delivered to our door in the morning.

Unfortunately, the staff is so overworked that it is painful to observe. The desk clerk was so punchy that he gave me directions to the wrong room. When we checked into our room at 4:10 p.m. a crew of three housekeepers (a woman and two men) were in a frenzy trying to clean up the room across the hall.

I called the desk and asked for one of the folding suitcase stands, but it was never delivered.

Since rooms at this place are in the $200-$300+ range, it would seem that management could afford to put on more staff and to make at least a little effort to get some guests into their rooms before 4:00 p.m. (The $85 estimate shown at this site is incorrect.)

Comments