Secret Garden Bed and Breakfast Inn, Ltd

See Amenities

Best Secret Garden

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 28, 2007

I have been in B & B over the years and this one was the best. The staff was excellent and the bfood was to die for. The whole place is done with great taste. The dogs are a nice touch. It gives it the warm feeling of home. The gardens are done with such grace taht it makes you want to just lay down in the grass and take a nap. I will always come back.

Unique Quality: The great gardens and the detail that is every room and all over the whole Inn.

Directions: University Area

LisaJones64 Mar 17, 2013 at 8:16 AM

IMPORTANT!
READ AND BUYER BEWARE!

The incompetency of the management/owner of the Secret Garden Inn in Eugene is no longer a secret!

Over a year ago, my husband visited the Secret Garden Inn, thought it was cute and, while there, booked four rooms for our family and extended family for 2 nights during our Daughter's graduation. On that day, an employee showed my husband the rooms and he was very pleased. The owner, Don, was also there and my husband had the opportunity to meet him.

Last November 2012 my husband and I were both in Oregon for Parents Weekend and my husband took me to see the Inn. We walked in and I said, "What a quaint place." I had barely gotten those words out of my mouth when a man (The owner) who resembled Jack Nicholson's character in 'The Shining' walked out in stocking feet. We introduced ourselves and said that we would be staying there 2 nights in June. The owner became agitated and told us that he would never have made reservations for us for two nights because the minimum was three and that this Inn was completely full! He refused to look at his reservations book and, although my husband told him that we had email confirmations, the owner said, "no you don't, I don't even use Email." My husband explained that an employee did the reservations but that the owner was also present when these reservations were made for my husband, in person. The owner was adamant that we did not have reservations because it’s a 3-night minimum not 2. We left frustrated, confused and shaken. When we arrived home, we found the email confirmations and also looked on the Inn's website, where it clearly stated that there was a TWO night minimum during graduation time! We sent a registered letter with all of this information to the owner but never received a phone call.

My husband called and talked to an employee who reiterated that it was a two-night minimum and that we did not have reservations because the inn was full. My husband got on the website while he was on the phone with the employee and the website still said it was a 2 night minimum! The employee got on the site and saw this, as well. My husband mentioned the confirmation numbers and the employee realized that there was a note in the reservation book that showed reservations for us... At the Holiday Inn Express, made by the owner without our knowledge or permission! My husband immediately called the other hotel and found out that NO reservations had been made there. After months and months of going back and forth, all the owner could guarantee was ONE room (we saw this room and it wasn't a room, it was where they store unused furniture and we need THREE rooms). He also said that he might be able to get us one room at another hotel (no guarantees).
Luckily we had the foresight back in November, when we left the Inn, to immediately get on the phone and make reservations at another hotel!

Bottom line... If you have reservations at the Secret Garden Inn for this year's graduation, or at any other time for that matter, good luck to you! Not only was everything about our encounter unprofessional but we consider the owner to be unstable and that scares me!

Oh, by the way… if you get on their website and look at the testimonials, notice the dates. All of those raving reviews took place when the former owner was there!

Currently we have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau on this matter as this establishment has established a practice of FALSE ADVERTISING BETTER KNOW AS CUSTOMER FRAUD. My complaint is listed under case #22382295 and is being followed up by the State of Oregon.

All I can say is BUYER BEWARE, the Secret Garden Inn is no longer a secret and I strongly encourage you to not visit this establishment as the owner is neither professional or compassionate to his renters and is a bit off balance, he is not one to be TRUSTED!

Nearby Secret Garden Bed and Breakfast Inn, Ltd

Amenities at Secret Garden Bed and Breakfast Inn, Ltd

• Suites
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Wheelchair Accessible
  • Free Parking
  • Free High Speed Internet

Eugene Travel Forum

Need advice about Eugene, Oregon? Visit the Travel Forum for Eugene and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Eugene hotel reviews

Coffee shops & cybercafes
Doin' the BBQ'n
Trip through Willamette Valley farmlands
Things to Do
Billiard place with great music & clips
The King Is Here!!!
You Can't Go Wrong At LaVelle
Rogue Public House/Eugene City Brewery
YUMM!! JUMMM!!
EAT UP AT THE AIRPORT
Yummy Pizza
More Yummy Pizza
Restaurants
Spectacular loop drive shows off Oregon
Mt. Pisgah Arboretum and Botanical Gardens
Eugene to LAX
Portland to Eugene
Be wary of Eugene Taxis!
Transportation
Go back to College...for the afternoon!
Things to Do
I liked it better than Powells