Devonridge Bed and Breakfast

T-Bone, Medium!T-Bone, Medium!

Upper Klamath LakeUpper Klamath Lake

Curious about Oregan

by graphicdesigner

I'm a Graphic Designer who has been job seeking for the past year or so. My goal was to move back to my home town in Pennsylvania to be with family and friends, but have been having no luck. So I decided to look in areas that may suit my personality (single, outgoing, outdoorsy, creative) . I know nothing about Oregan accept that it rains often, but is a very beautiful place to live. I found an ad for a designer in Klamath Falls. Can you tell me about that area?

by caffeine_induced78

it does not rain a lot in Klamath Falls. I hate to burst your bubble but Klamath Falls is not a town full of creative people. Although Oregon has a reputation for being rainy most of the state is not. It's just the third of the state where most of the people live that is rainy. Klamath Falls is a farming town that also is home to the Oregon Institute of Technology. It's pretty dry and is part of what is known as the "high desert" of Oregon. Keep on trying to move to Oregon though. Eugene, Portland, or Ashland would probably fit you. The bad news is that the poor economy has hit Oregon especially hard so jobs are few and hard to be found.

Bryant

by phildeni

I want to second all of the above. I live in Portland and it is so beautiful here, the rain is what keeps this part of Oregon so green and lush. Klamath Falls is not what one would call typical Oregon. It is near the California border in the Central part of the state and is pretty dry and ugly! Oregon has about any kind of scenery and weather there is. Unknown to most people about twothirds of the state is desert, and then, we have one of the most beautiful coastlines in the world.

by caffeine_induced78

Phil - I dream about that Oregon coastline just about everyday! My favorite little town is Port Orford. Have the storms let up at all?

by mtncorg

I think I would be more concerned about your moving from a town in PA to a fairly rural setting in OR than the fact that it is drier than what it is in the Willamette Valley. It has maybe 30000 in its vicinity. It is not in a desert - there are beatiful forests not very far away. Some gorgeous lakes - Crater Lake Nat Park is not too far away as are the badlands of the Lava Beds Nat Mon - and lots of mosquitos in the countryside thanks to irrigated fields. It is a bit of a drive to anywhere else - maybe apply, but definitely visit it before moving there. I think you need to get a feel for the town, plus see if you like its location before taking such a big step. OR is a long ways from PA. And K Falls is a lot farther yet;+0

by brotherleelove

I live in Oregon as well. Klamath Falls is not exactly barren, but it's close to it. It's very dry in summer, and extremely cold in winter. There's also significant earthquake activity in that region. It's isolated from the rest of the state geographically. I agree that you should consider Portland, Ashland or Eugene, these are the cities where most of the creative juices flow.

by phildeni

Bryant, Port Orford is really a beautiful coast area, but the town has not much to offer. From Port Orford down to Gold Beach is really something. Yes, most of the storms have gone, but we had some great ones at Newport and Seal Rock.

by JoeMagarac

Hi GD,

I am a computer programmer here in PA and have many friends who are GD'ers. Depending on where your hometown is in PA, I might be able to get you in touch with some people. I live in Pittsburgh, so if that's close, let me know.

JoeM

by jazzyjanna

The Bend area in central Oregon is enjoyijng the biggest growth splurge in the state. It has had a huge influx of city folks and offers a developing cultural aspect. More interesting than K Falls and certainly more lovely, this high desert plateau area just east of the Cascade range merits a closer look.

by phildeni

Yes, Bend is nice and is becoming "Little California". If you are "outdorsey" you would really like Bend and the Descheutes River area. Mostly retired people and probably not too many employment opportunities.

Comments