2945 NW Jetty Avenue, Lincoln City, Oregon, 97367, United States

Hotels.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• wenks07's Profile Photo

Dirty Room and Poor Customer Service

I have stayed at Surftides in Lincoln City many time. My husband and I go there every year for our anniversary, I go with friends and family and most recently I took my husband and my four year old daughter. We arrived around 8:30pm and were very tired.
    We woke in the morning and my husband and I were extremely congested, My husband went to take a shower and the tub wouldn't drain and some black stuff started coming up from the drain. So we started getting ready and I jumped in bed with my daughter. She has her own blankets so the bed hadn't been turned down. When i go in I felt something rough at my feet so I pulled down the linen and there was sand in her bed. We hadn't even been down to the beach! I immediately packed up our room and as I was doing his my husband started checking the room. The was so much dust in the room you could drag your finger across things (TV, fridge, headboards, shelf above the coat rack) and see the dust building on your finger. My husband lifted the beds and my heart stopped. There was old dry food, bottle caps, a glass, trash and a very large stick! There was also old food on top of the fridge. How did housekeeping miss these things???
    I went straight to the office and calmly explained what we found. I expressed my frustration and told them we wanted another room. The gentleman was polite and said no problem and apologized for the issue . Then told me our new room would be ready till 4pm. It was 10am and I had paid for two night. He said he would call if it was ready earlier.
    We went into town and tried to kill time and received a call around 2pm. (4 hours later) We got back to the hotel and picked up our room keys. We went to the new room and as soon as I walked into the room there is a bench to my left. There was sand all over it and under it as well. So there I was again checking the entire room. Same issue dust everywhere. (TV, fridge, headboards, shelf above the coat rack) I went into the bathroom and the ice bucket still had the plastic liner in it and water in the bag from the previous people. The glasses were dirty as well. When I pointed it out to the housekeeping manager she was rude and had the housekeeper go in with a broom.
    So there we were at 4pm with a four year old and a dog and nowhere to stay we refused to stay there. Its spring break week and very few hotel take big dogs. The fact that the rooms that were "prepared" for us were so dirty and very poorly taken care of was bad enough but the fact that we had to pack up our things and put them in the car, wait for a clean room and discover that room want clean either and then have to find a new hotel to stay at and then pay for that one too was ridiculous.
    We loved staying here but the lack of customer service and the lack of ability on the employees part to do their job and management to enforce it means Surftides has not only lost a customer for life but my friends and family as well. Word of mouth can be a very good thing for a business but it can also be very damaging as well. We still haven't received an email or a phone call.

Unique Quality: None

More about Surftides Lincoln City

Everlasting memories at the Surftides Inn

by TripAdvisor Member Martydeuce

Reviewer: A TripAdvisor Member, Canada
We were in Lincoln City for a three day romantic week-end and had not pre-booked a hotel room.
We stopped at the Surftides Inn and were told they had no vacancy - we left and called them hoping they would have a cancellation
"Tony from the front desk" came through for us.
He managed to book us into a "king, fireplace, jacuzzi suite" with a fabulous view of the ocean from our balcony.
The first room was very nice with a corner jaccuzi tub and fireplace, but the best thing about this room was the view!
We had never stayed this close to the ocean before.
The sunsets from the balcony were breathtaking and by leaving the patio doors open at night we were able to fall asleep with the calming sounds of the ocean and a view of the ocean from our bed.
The resort was booked solid for the next two nights so we had to check out and try and find another resort (we just wanted to stay at this resort as we fell in love with it)
"Tony" asked us to check back with him Saturday at 6: 00 pm - and once again he came through for us.
We were able to get a queen suite with a corner fireplace and the same breathtaking view.
This room was larger than the first and extremely clean!
The beach in front of this resort is awesome!
We walked the beach for hours in both directions and collected many treasures along our way
We had an incredible romantic stay at this resort and hope to return one day soon
Thanks for the memories.....

No respect for long time customers

I have been going to Surftides since my child was little. Back in the days when it was a small hotel, before the trendy new office. When I would call for reservations, as soon as I gave my name they would automatically know who I was, and it was a very personal touch. Now when you call, they don't really remember or care who you are. You have to give a credit card number (thats ok) but I wasn't in the system, after going there for over 7 years. This, I was told was due to a new computer system, and also that because they are working with the Lincoln City police, to curb meth labs....meth labs? I just want to take my daughter to the beach. I understand that drugs are a problem, but couldn't they have some sort of list on their computer of long time guests. I have spent many a day at Surftides, they had my business for many years, but I don't rate enough to be known? The last time we were there, the desk clerk was extremely rude, the manager couldn't believe that she had been rude to me, leaving me to feel that she somehow didn't believe me. Surftides, go back to your roots, losing my business won't hurt you, but I would never reccomend you to anyone.

Good Service Honest,Helpful Staff

by TripAdvisor Member TeachersTravel

We have stayed at Surftides on and off for 23 years. The locale is excellent...on the beach, close to casino,shops,theatre. Clean. Good room set up with fireplace, balcony, micowave and frig. Reasonable rates.

In 2005 we inadvertently left our expensive camera and some other belongings behind. The staff (eventually) located them and sent them to us,expess, post paid. This service is above and beyond what might be expected. The management seems to be professional and cheerful. The housekeeping staff seemed a bit weak at the time, but management was willing to deal with any complaints in this area. We're going back for a week in 2006.

ripoff

by TripAdvisor Member belizeeee

We stayed at the Surftides in August, 2006. We had no reservation, just showing up. Upon checking for a room the girl at the counter talked us into a room with a balcony overlooking the beach. Then she proceeded to charge us $10.00 for our oldest son (age 14)! We got to the room and went out to the balcony. The balcony was COVERED in bird poop!! Not only the railings but the deck and parts of the chairs. Pigeons and seagulls continually landed there, leaving droppings and making the balcony too filthy to spend ANY time on. We slept that night (too tired to move into another room) and got up the next morning to find mouse droppings and a chewed up bag of raisins/peanuts.

Upon checking out I told the woman at the desk about the balcony and the mouse problem. She called for a manager to talk to me. The manager SEEMED understanding and kept the package that had been chewed through. He SAID he was going to show it to other management and additionally said he was sorry and perhaps they would refund our entire nights' charge. I told him we didn't expect to get the room for free, but did think that some sort of partial refund was warranted. This guy took our cell phone number and said he would call us back that day with whatever refund they felt warranted.

Well, what a surprise--NO CALL, NO REFUND of any portion of our bill. What a scam artist!!

I would absolutely NOT stay here ever again based on our experience. Too pricey for what you get, unresponsive management, filthy conditions (additionally our feet were almost black from the carpet that sorely needed cleaning). There are plenty of other options available in Lincoln City.

Frozen room

We stayed at surftide many times (at least 15) and was quit happy. On our last visit we were given a room with no heat. The temperature outside was 32 and our room was the same. We called the front desk after trying to solve the problem ourselves and was told that she didn't know anything about heating and that we would be compensated for a poor room. In the morning we found out that this was a lie we were charged full price for a cold room no heat unable to shower. Worst night of our life. No sympathy

Cold, unsympathetic staff

My husband and I have stayed several times and before and have never been treated so terribly. This trip the jacuzzi was out of order, the sauna out of order and the swimming pool was freezing. The room was cold all night long and staff could not find an extra blanket. Staff also charged my account twice, causing an nsf fee that the hotel staff very rudely told me they couldnt do anything about. When I got home I also have found that the $50 "hold" they charged my account isnt a hold but a debit, and so far I have spoken to 2 "managers" with no sympathy or customer service, as though it is somehow my fault. And they claim they need to speak to someone at my bank to resolve the problem. The "problem" is still not resolved.

Search no further

by TripAdvisor Member TheMacFamily94

After years of searching for the perfect Hotel in Lincoln City we have found our spot! I checked in with our 2 year old to stay a few nights before my husband arrived to join us. I felt safe in our clean, spacious, well decorated room. We had great beach access, a fun heated pool to swim in and movies galore in the lobby. The day before we were to check out my son and I got a nasty flu bug. We were shocked at how fast the staff was there to help replenish our towel supply and give us extra housekeeping service at 7:00 AM! The front desk even called to see how we were doing later that day. WOW! Great service!

It is a bit spendy but well worth the price for us. This is now our Lincoln City destination!

Heaven on the Coast

by TripAdvisor Member SD36Teacher

We pulled up with no reservations and were lucky to nail down a room for two nights. We thought we'd only want one at first, but the Hotel Clerk, "Tony" suggested we book for two and could cancel if we didn't want the second night (no cancellation charge). We loved our room. The view is unrivaled (I live in Vancouver, BC) and after our second night, we tried to get a third night. Although we had to upgrade ("had to upgrade"), we managed to stay a third night. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. I can't wait to come back. This is the best hotel value I've ever had. We paid $107 per night in high summer for beachfront.

Suggestion: Do not take the "Deluxe Rooms" with the fireplace. They're smaller and you don't need a fireplace in the summer. We slept with the sliding door open all night. A little chilly in the morning, but that's what blankets are for, right??? Love that ocean sound! The showers heads are mounted shorter and the pressure is weaker too.

If you value a clean hotel you MUST read this--disgusting

by TripAdvisor Member LisaMolson

Okay, I read the mixed reviews on this hotel so I was prepared, somewhat. However, right when we entered the room I had to use the bathroom so I untore the paper that is wrapped around the toliet that proclaims it is "sanitary" to find a disgusting sight: hair ALL over the toliet seat on the inside and out--the bathroom (or toliet at least) clearly had not been cleaned. I promptly called housekeeping who said, rather blunty, "let me come see." Ten minutes later a lady came and looked at the toliet, apologized and took out a tattered (and dirty-looking) rag and wiped it down! No Lysol spray, no cleaning spray, just a dirty, filthy looking used rag. Moreover, right next to the garbage is the DISH drying rack. Thus, WARNING, if you use their plates I would highly sanitize the dishes before using them. I mean, would you are essentially using dishes that have been next to the garbage.
Later that night we heard a humming of a fan (like the kind in our bathroom). Long story short found out was not our bathroom fan but our downstairs neighbor who decided to leave it on all night because he mistakenly believed that our kids were causing all the noise upstairs (no they weren't our toliet plumbing needed fixing and was causing excessive noise--the hotel staff, get this, even called us at 2:00 am, waking us all up saying we were making noise according to him). My husband asked her if she thought maybe she should have checked that fact out BEFORE rudely waking its guests. I could go on and on, yes, our maid service was almost non existent as complained elsewhere here, while checking in I noticed 3 other guests lodging similar type of complaints, however, time is short. The common refrain from the hotel staff is that the manager is "unavailable". One wonders if she isn't cowering behind her office desk hiding. Anyhow, my husband finally found her and lodged his complaint with a brisk "I am sorry, I will call you later." Of course, that call never came. A big big disappointment. Never again!!!!

Great motel for a great price

by TripAdvisor Member Lizy69

We loved this hotel...beds were very comfortable and although I have read a number of mixed reviews, we personally had a great experience with this hotel. I would definately stay there again, based on my experience. Also, beautiful view and nice fireplace. Romantic, to say the least.

Comments