2280 Biddle Road, Medford, Oregon, 97504, United States
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Medford

Around medford for a couple of days

by giampiero6

Hiya folks. I'm going to be spending a couple of days in the Medford area. I'll be hiking around Crater lake, then sticking around the area for a few days. I have a few questions, that I'd love some advice on.

1. We're going around May 15, so might be a bit of snow up high. Anyone have any thougts on great hikes in the area? Can we hike around the rim of the crater?

2. Any great places to see or spend a night in the area not immediately near Crater Lake? I like the town of Jacksonville. Any other cool spots for a few hours or place to over night?

3. What about other great hiking areas nearby?

4. Any thoughts on best place to stay and or great restaurants/local spots in Medford?

Thoughts, suggestions, advice on any of the above are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

G

by brotherleelove

If you're going to be in Medford you really should take the time to drive 25 miles south to visit Ashland. It's a lovely little town and is the long-time home of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.

by giampiero6

Yes, I had thought about that too...and I know about the festival, though haven't attended...Good idea. Didn't realize it was so close.

by Marianne2

That's a great area, and you should have a terrific time.

1. Hiking: I'm not sure if you can hike all the way around the crater, but there are specific hiking trails shown on the park's map, which you'll get from the park service when you enter the park and pay your fee.
2. Hotel: I've stayed in little Prospect, about 30 miles S of the park, in the Prospect Historic Hotel (on the National Registry of Historic Places). It's both a Victorian-style B&B in the main "mansion," and has motel units out back. There's not much to do in this small town, unless they have their bluegrass festival on, however.
3. Hiking: I think the hiking at Crater is a highlight (might be some snow still), but there's also a national forest just S of Prospect.
4. No recommendations on a Medford Hotel, but nearby Ashland is loaded with good places. We once stayed in a yurt in a state park not far from Medford :-)

Have fun!

You also might want to try whitewater river rafting in this area, as it's really fun, and the water should be running big in mid-May. We used a company out of Grant's Pass, as I recall. There are about a dozen or so operators, at least.

by toemayn

I bet there's snow. Several years ago we were there on July 4th it was 32f. Walking around the rim would take more than a few days, just the view is awesome.
Something more you might want to check out... http://www.hellgate.com/?gclid=CNjatPKDpZoCFSAhDQodgUQe9w
Klamath Falls is the closest city, of any size, to Crater Lake. Dress warm.

by giampiero6

Cool! Sounds great. I will definitely be prepared for all eventualities!

by giampiero6

Just wanted to say thanks a lot for the advice. Had an AMAZING trip and LOVED Ashland. We did an incredible amount of great hiking and had some great meals and wine in Ashland!

Thanks for the advice!

by brotherleelove

Thought you might. I lived there for several years back in the 70's and grew to love it.

by giampiero6

I can see how that might be. Wonderful place! Thanks again guys

Comments