Ocean House Bed and Breakfast

4920 N.W. Woody Way, Newport, Oregon, 97365, United States

More about Newport

Passages of the Deep: note shark above, besidePassages of the Deep: note shark above, beside

D with hat at the campground on a nice July dayD with hat at the campground on a nice July day

a stroll on Cannon Beach is a musta stroll on Cannon Beach is a must

quite the operation & attraction: Tillamookquite the operation & attraction: Tillamook

Travel Tips for Newport

my beer hunting wife

by richiecdisc

Blue Heron Creamery was a bit more upscale and their specialty was brie cheese. We had bought a fair amount of Tillamook cheddar cheeses the day before but Blue Heron had a tasting area so we lined up for a sample. Their regular brie was quite good but a mesquite smoked version was too good to pass up. Despite having a cooler full of cheese I was ready to buy more. I looked around and my wife who normally loves samples too was nowhere to be seen.

I went to look for her and she came out of the beverage area of the shop beaming. She said I would never believe what they had. She walked me back and pointed excitedly in the beer cooler. Much to my amazement there were bottles of Alaskan Smoked Porter. True to its name, this beer is from Alaska. Juneau to be exact. I had a small taste of the much coveted porter at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver in 1995 but when visiting Alaska in 1998, my stop at the brewery was ill-timed. The smoked wonder is a seasonal winter brew and I was there in summer. So, as you can imagine I was ecstatic to find it. Well, ironically my wife had found it while I was tasting cheese! It seemed we had done a bit of a role reversal but not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I quickly bought some cheese, a baguette, and all five bottles of the Smoked Porter they had.

Sitting outside, we spread out a nice lunch of smoked brie and bread, and of course cracked open one of our bottles of treasure. The air was fresh and cool as is typical of the Oregon Coast. Our senses were flooded with creamy smoothness and smoked bitterness. It all went so well together it would have been easy to forget the ice cream. Well, that wasn't likely. My wife might have become a pretty good beer hunter but she would never forget her sweet tooth. Besides, Tillamook was just next door and blueberry cheesecake ice cream was even sounding pretty good to me just about then.

hike into the dunes

by richiecdisc

The Tahkenitch Dunes Trail is a great way to get acquainted with Oregon Dunes. This 2 mile trail initially climbs through a conifer forest before opening up into an area of big dunes. It then goes through a small strand of beach pines before coming to the end of the Tahkenitch Creek and eventually out onto the beach. This trail can be combined with the Tahkenitch Creek Trail and/or the Three Mile Lake Trail for variety and to increase the length. It is a great place for birdwatching and to enjoy a variety of vegetation. We spotted some wild strawberries right in the dunes.

The trail head is 8 miles north of Reedsport on the west side of Highway 101 at mile marker 204. There is a parking fee. We did it in the morning after camping at the Tahkenitch Campground so just kept our car in our site while we did the short walk and checked out in plenty of time.

Sea Lions at the Bayfront

by shellybelly567

These guys are great! The sea lions come and hang out at the docks under a restaurant-don't think they're there to beg, though, it's a $10,000 fine to harass or feed the sea lions. They hang out on the docks, barking, scratching, snoozing and fighting over the prime spots.
It's really cool to be so close to so many of them at once and they are so cute and entertaining. It's especially fun to watch the one unlucky guy who didn't get a spot on the dock try to get on, only to be chased away time and time again.

Yaquina Head Interpretive Center

by jasperdo

This small museum is actually quite informative. Over half of the museum space in devoted to the story of the Yaquina Head Lighthouse. There is a full scale replica of the lighthouse's beacon, along with stories about the rough life the Lighthouse keepers had. The smaller section of the museum is devoted to the fish and bird population of this section of the Oregon Coast.

There is a lot to do at Yaquina Head besides going to the Interpretive Center. Tops on your list would be Yaquina Head Lighthouse. (I have a seperate tip about the lighthouse.) Yaquina Head itself is exceptionally scenic. It juts one mile out into the Pacific Ocean, and is an excellent place to see whales in the proper season. There are also rocky coves and tidepools to explore. The BLM has set up a number of trails, most of them quite easy, such as the Lighthouse Trail and Quarry Cove.

Cannon Beach

by richiecdisc

Canon Beach may be the best on the Oregon Coast at self-promotion but what they are selling is unquestionably one of the most beautiful spots on a shore crammed with them. The decidedly upscale feel of the town's main street filled with cafes and swank shops takes nothing away from the expansive beach and rugged rocky features like Haystack Rock. This 235 foot basalt formation provides the town's its icon as well as most popular attraction. While scenic especially at sunset, what truly makes it so interesting are the tide pools that are revealed at its base with each low tide. It is one of the more expensive places to stay on the coast and one of the busiest but take no heed, a short stop is free. A stroll on Cannon Beach is certainly one of the must dos if traveling the Oregon Coast. By all means, do it.

Comments