Shilo Inn Oceanfront Hotel Newport

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 27% more and rated 16% lower than other 3 star hotels

• Easty's Profile Photo

Shilo Inn

Shilo Newport Oceanfront Inn has a great location on the beach. The room here was absolutely fabulous. Being that it was the off season, we got a 2 bedroom with living room. Nicest room of the entire trip. It also has a great view of the Pacific Ocean.

Unique Quality: Has 2 restaurants with 2 Indoor Pools. Also has beach access.

Directions: On Pacific Ocean, 2 blocks away from US 101. About 1/2 mile north of Yaquina Bay Bridge.

More about Shilo Inn Oceanfront Hotel Newport

Comfortable, beautiful, friendly hotel at the ocean

If you're going to Newport, the Shilo Inn is a very good choice. You are right at the ocean, with the most beautiful sunsets right outside of your window.
Every Shilo staff person I encountered seemed to go out of their way to welcome me and make sure I was ok. The first room they gave me was near the ice machine, which was too loud for me, so when I called to ask if I could have a different room, they immediately sent a staff person up to make the change for me, apologizing all the way. They moved me down the hall, still on the same upper floor and still with the ocean right there. It was a very comfortable room, with free wireless internet access, and the restaurants onsite were both good, with excellent, friendly service.

The town itself is a cross between a small town and a tourist town. The Oregon Coast Aquarium, a short drive from the Inn, was the highlight for me. Don't miss it.

And don't miss the sunset. You can walk right down to the beach from the hotel, and soak up all the ocean air.

I will definitely be back to the Shilo.

Nice views but no breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member dpla

Just stayed there for one night. Very nice view and good access to the beach. Very nice and professional front desk staff. The room was average but large. When you pay about $100 per night, one should be getting a breakfast included in the price. Other places like Best Western, Days Inn, Quality Inn, etc offer really good bfasts for half the price.
Also, I got 2 photo copies from the Front Desk during checkout and they charged me 15 cents for the same. I think that a major chain like this should be a little large hearted and not such a miser. The 15 cents charge does not make me poorer but leaves a lousy taste.
I think next time I visit Newport I will look elsewhere. Infact in the same street overlooking the ocean, there are lots of other motels.

Wonderful view!

by TripAdvisor Member tornado63

This place has got to have the best service I have recentley encoutered at any hotels that I have stayed at. The young man that checked me in showed me the town and gave me some great suggestions on what to eat and do. The beds were comfortable and the view was spectacular, especially at sunset! Would definitely recommend to anyone of my friends or family.

Shame on Shilo

by TripAdvisor Member OceanView42

I was informed over the phone that I was booking an Ocean View King Suite with all Amentities.What I got was a King bed in a very Small room fro an Outrageous Price.$211.00 This room wasn't worth $60-100.00.I have stayed at Shilo's before and always thought them to be an Excellent stay.Shilo should be ashamed.You can get a Beautiful room with a Fireplace and Balcony for less money.Within a block in either direction.I have never been so disappointed.I believe they need to refund at least 1/2 what I paid that night,
I work for the Largest Construction Company in Central Oregon.i will be sure and tell everyone I know where NOT to Stay at Newport,Oregon.Very UNHAPPY Guest..

Great Service

by TripAdvisor Member BigBillyboy

I have recently written a lenghty review applauding the Inn. This related to a convention in September, 06. Our family recently made a second trip, for a planned two day stay. As we arrived, we discovered that we had a very ill sixteen month old child in our party. It was three hours before our scheduled checkin time, but I made our situation known to the hotel desk and the lady, on duty ,immediately set about getting us into our rooms as soon as possible. We got all of the help we needed to care for the child, continue our stay, and return home without a nauseated baby in the back seat. The staff took a most welcome personal interest in our welfare.

Quiet autumn escape

by TripAdvisor Member TravelerinPDX

I spent a much-needed weekend of solitude here, from Saturday to Sunday. I ended up at the Shilo Inn because I was booking at the last minute, and it was one of the few places to have a room available.

I am VERY GLAD I stayed here. I was allowed to check in an hour early, and when I walked into the room, I was delighted to find a huge window with a view of the beach. I was also pleased to find a good-sized table right in front of the window, as I was there mainly to write, and the ocean view was inspiring!

Other positive features:

Friendly and helpful staff
King-size bed
The free wi-fi works like a dream
The windows open, so you can hear the ocean
Two pools, although I didn’t swim on this trip
Steps (90 of them) down to the beach
Nice, flat stretch of beach for walking
Free parking

Could use some work:

I walked over to eat dinner at the Shilo Inn’s “fine dining” establishment (as opposed to the café). It was so smoky that I ordered my food to go and took it back to my room. Restaurants that continue to allow smoking in their bars MUST provide adequate ventilation, so that diners in the non-smoking portion of the restaurant do not need to eat smoke along with their meals!

I woke up early (6:30) to walk on the beach, and stopped in at the reception desk on my way back, expecting coffee. Er, no. The woman at the desk was kind enough to offer me their “employee coffee … just brewed,” but I didn’t have the heart to accept. In 2006, any decent hotel should offer free coffee for guests. I wasn’t looking for a full breakfast, or even a Continental breakfast! I just. Wanted. Some coffee. I walked over to the café and bought my own cup, which was fine. (I even bought a slice of blackberry pie for breakfast.) But really. Brew up a few pots of coffee for the paying guests.

Overall, this was a pleasant surprise, and I will be back with my family.

Middle of the Road

by TripAdvisor Member JROD202

My first time writing a review, my fiancie and I stayed here in March of 2007 and we both thought it was going to be better than it was. Not that it was terrible by any means, just that it was a little out dated and the beds were probably the same ones from when the place opened up. The Staff was very pleasant and the house cleaning did an excellent job. We are not the Motel 6 type but were not the Ritz Carlton either, just want to let everyone know that the whole town of Newport is still stuck in the 70's which is a part of its character and the place needs a little renovation. The breakfast is good at the Shilo Cafe but you'll have to wait a while to get it, the service is slow but the scenery makes it worth the wait. We were hoping to see some whales migrating, never did. The beach is easily accessible and is excellent for a walk. Overall we enjoyed our stay but would probably look for another place that was a little more updated.

Super NICE People

by TripAdvisor Member beezo

My wife and I drove over 500 miles to meet our friends (Jerry and Teresa) who drove almost 600 miles for a 2 night weekend stay. We were already checked in when we were joking with we thought another traveler, who was actually the Mgr. Karen Anderson. She asked us if we were really good friends and said reservations for their suite had cancelled. She offered to upgrade our rooms to this suite. Our original room was very nice and clean. Every room had a open view of the ocean and every employee was very, very polite. We had dinner and breakfast at both Shilo restaurants, and we would highly recomment them. The food was good, prices reasonable, and the employees very friendly. I have been in sales for many years, and I know when people are sincere. These people were. My wife and I would recommend this hotel to anyone for an enjoyable stay.

Jim & Linda Felion

Yuck!

by TripAdvisor Member Sportphotodog

This is an old motel in a nice location. We were on the third floor with no elevator. Outside entry with noisy board walkway. The view was of the ocean but over the top of a building on a lower level. We paid $ 120.00 which was a poorer value compared to the other places we stayed. This is the first Shilo Inn for us and most likely the last. Not an inviting place to stay!

Comments