267 N.W. Cliff St, Newport, Oregon, 97365, United States

• For those with a writerly disposition

On a road trip around the U.S., I crashed my car in Oregon. It turned out incredibly, all things considered. My friend and I had been sleeping in our car each night, so we decided to splurge on a hotel with the extra money from traveler's insurance. We looked in our guide, and found Sylvia Beach Hotel. We stayed in the Jane Austen room. Lace curtains, tiny rose patterned quilt, you get the picture. Next door? A bed with a working guillotine, red velvet bedspread, and a stuffed raven purched on the nightstand. Edgar would have been proud. With each room named after a literary figure, and decorated accordingly, I can't imagine tiring of a visit. Never thought I'd be dying to get back to Newport, Oregon! The hotel is right on the beach, and you can even spot the lighthouse from many rooms.

Unique Quality: Family style gourmet dinner! They have the whole table play two truths and a lie. I made friends that night. It was unforgettable. After dinner we all stood on the balcony drinking hot mulled wine, talking and looking at the stars.

Directions: On the beach. Big teal colored hotel.

• Camille_W's Profile Photo

A great, romantic hideaway for readers

The Sylvia Beach Hotel is an old turn-of-the-century hotel that has been renovated for book lovers! Each room is designed to evoke a particular author. Some of the authors represented include Agatha Christie, Dr. Seuss, Willa Cather, and Mark Twain. there are many, many others.

The hotel is on a bluff right on the beach, so the seafront rooms have spectacular views of the Oregon Coast. The hotel also serves wonderful dinners and great breakfasts as well.

The Mark Twain room is my favorite. It has a large clawfoot tub and a private balcony that looks out over the ocean. Be warned, though -Aggie, the hotel's cat, likes to make her rounds through this room in the morning. She woke me up at 6:30, scratching at the door. I opened the door and she just walked across the room to the balcony door, exited there and wandered across the rooftops until she was perched on a gable looking down at the hotel's entrance!

Unique Quality: The top floor of the hotel has a wonderfully relaxing library, and every evening mulled wine is available. The views from the library are very nice, and the light for reading is perfect. At the very tip top of the library, there is a chaisse longe near a small window, where I've spent many hours curled up with a book.

Directions: In the Nye Beach area of Newport