Ace Hotel

Orbitz.com Travelocity Otel.com

• IncogNeat-0's Profile Photo

30 Something Crowd

Updated: February 2008

The Ace Hotel, formerly "The Clyde," reopened in February 2007 practically unnoticed, with little fuss or fanfare. Poor ID too. You wouldn't know it was there if you didn't know it was there, but it is now one of the hottest spots in town for young adults.

It had a lot to live down as "The Clyde," which got a bad rep all across the board. What it has going for it is location, location, location - as long as you don't mind living in the heart of Portland's small gay district.

The Ace is bracketed east & west by Portland's only, so far, streetcar line, is a block from Powell's world famous "City Of Books," and beyond that the trendy, expensive tourist (aka Pearl) district.

Portland's downtown hub, Pioneer Courthouse Square & [M]etro [A]rea e[X]press (MAX) train transportation are in the opposite direction.

Recently opened Kenny & Zuke's Delicatessen, located in the NW corner on the ground floor, has also captured the 30 something downtown crowd. Rocco's, a longtime popular by-the-slice pizza joint is catty-corner from Powell's on 10th & W Burnside Street.

Wholefoods health food store, emphasis on organic produce, might be a better choice for all around eats - open @ 8 AM a block past Burnside on 12th & Couch (as in coo-coo, not as in ouch). Be prepared for sticker shock once you load up your plate in the deli section.

To the south 2 blocks on SW 10th is Jake's in the Governor Hotel. More popular then either with local folk, perhaps, is Scooters between SW 13th & 14th on Washington - a block south, then west; near Scooter's, for a lighter touch on 13th & Alder is the Quick Bite - a sit-down slow-food cafe despite the name.

Unique Quality: The Clyde, nee Ben Stark, is no more. It has has been sold, and has undergone extensive renovation for many a month before reemerging as the ACE; a complete makeover.

More about Ace Hotel

LOve LoVe Room 415!

by TripAdvisor Member travellinggirl27

I loved my stay at the Ace Hotel back in July. Im finally sitting down to write them an awesome review! Things to note about the ace hotel, it aint cheap, you pay for the location, the radness of the hotel and the designers that put it together, from the wall murals in the rooms to the silk screened graphic laundry bags that I wanted to steal and take home, the the giant clawfoot tub I got in my studio, to the super soft white brushed cotton sheets, etc, etc. They even put up with my indecisivness, when i came back downstairs and asked for a different room as I didnt like the one I was given as the window faced another building and gave no light and the room was super small. Thats when I got Room 415, the kitty mural room, they use a photograph of this room on their postcards, and when I looked down and saw the postcard, I said " I want this room"! I had to pay $30 more for it, but $30 more got me a big claw foot tub that is freestanding in the studio with an awesome canvas drape that wraps around the area for privacy, it got me more sun, not really a view, but had a desk, record player with records, and a victorian anthropologie esque sofa. The staff is also very friendly, they have a lounge downstairs, a bar, a photo booth for $3, great coffee at the adjacent coffee shop, and is within walking distance to pearl district and just about anywhere in downtown portland. I cant wait to pick another room out and stay here again! Oh and heads up on rooms, as I took notes. any room with a "12" such as 212, 312, 412, are right next to elevator, kind of noisy as elevator is old, Even number rooms face front street, therefore you will get a brighter room, and odd number rooms seem to face a building wall and get very little light. my room window faced partial wall, so i still got sunlight and a bit of a street view...

Never Stayed, Never Will

by TripAdvisor Member AnnetteandGreg

How sad. After booking our room, almost 8 months in advance and never to see what all the hoopla is about. The only reason I am writing this review to remind readers, and the hotel, that customer service is key and first priority in any business. After calling the hotel last week to ask if we could extend one evening, they promptly said no they were booked. I explained that this was a very special vacation for us, but to no avail no help. I called back the next day to try again, I thought at worst I will just stay somewhere else for the extra night but what a pity!!! I called again, and again, no rooms, and no suggestions on what to do. I finally calld a third time to ask if any rooms had been made available, was there a waiting list, are there other hotels they could recommend for our third night? After much hold time, I was given the Hotel Lucia name (no number might I add) and that was that. Thankfully the Hotel Lucia has two of our three nights, plus, without asking, offered to put me on a waiting list and gave the names of some local botique hotels that might help. All I can say is I quickly booked and then called to cancel our rooms at the Ace Hotel.

Lousy Management

The Clye Hotel was rated by Hotels as a 2 and a half star hotel. It should just get a half star. We stayed in a room with a queen size bed, and if faced the street. The bar/club across the street was so noisy that we asked to move to another room at midnight. The rooms on the quiet side of the hotel only have double beds. We then asked if our room charge would be reduced to reflect the smaller room and the management didn't make a refund. The historic steam heating system does not work very well it is either too hot or cold. There is no bell service and parking is an additional $20 and not convenient.

Stay Away From the Clyde Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member charmozie

We booked a three night stay at the Clyde Hotel in Downtown Portland, Oregon, but we left first thing in the morining after the first night. The Clyde Hotel is historic but without charm or pleasant ambiance. The Hotel feels and looks unkept and smells of mildew. The management is very cold and unhelpful. The first thing we encountered was the charge for parking. They charge $15.00 per night and you have to drive your car into this steep (slanting downward), narrow garage where there is barely enough room to turn around again when you want to leave. If that isn't enough, you then have to get out of your car on entering and exiting, push a button signaling the interior staff at the hotel and they have to physically walk from hotel around the corner to open the garage gate. There are no telephones in the room and when I took a shower the water temperture suddenly changed to burning hot.

Bohemian Chic on a Budget

by TripAdvisor Member stchris59

With rooms that come with shared baths to rooms that come with turntables (that right, turntables, the 33rpm kind) The Ace is like a mixed-income boutique hotel. Living firmly at the base of the American economic pyramid, I booked one on the lower end, only $95/night. It was spacious, clean, quiet, plenty comfortable, if a bit dark, but great for sleeping late and afternoon naps. With the money I saved on a private bath, I treated myself to a delicious meal at Clyde Commons, the happenin' and convivial restaurant downstairs. There's also a branch of Portland's vaunted Stumptown coffee attached to the lobby, which is a bit of a scene in itself with an old-fashioned photo booth, Jorg & Olif bikes for guest use and just about the most comfortable sofas you will ever sink into in all your life. Oh, and the ever burgeoning Portland scene is burgeoning right outside your door. The clientele skews young here (20's-40's) and those looking for a more conventional hotel experience with room service, bellhops and foot-high boxsprings would do better elsewhere. Still, I think that every city should have at least one Ace up its sleeve, and I have a feeling that soon they all will.

Comments