Bluebird Guesthouse

3517 SE Division St., Portland, Oregon, 97202, United States

• steedappeal's Profile Photo

The Innkeeper Commeth...eventually!

I booked my room on their website and was emailed an access number for the front door. Upon arriving, I found a meticulously maintained house in a very convenient area of the Eastern part of the city.

The prior night, I had spent Halloween West of the Willamette River amongst 2,000+ strangers while the Oregon Symphony played live the soundtrack to the movie 'Psycho'. As I wound my way up the way to the "Raymond Carver" room at the "Bluebird", I could hear strains of Bernard Herrmann as I creaked up the stairs into the dark unknown!! The door was open and- relief- I found a welcome letter and my key. Still, not a single human being within sight!!

The next morning I met a very Zen-like lady making coffee and I tepidly asked "Are you the Innkeeper" and she acknowledged "Yes". So the mystery was solved- there is an Innkeeper where checking-in is as deconstructed as checking-out (I never saw a printed bill). It was all so casual that I even forgot to return my key (which I later mailed back).

So the whole point is: relax and enjoy the casual, earthy hospitality of the "Bluebird". It is a very well-maintained guesthouse in a part of a mostly residential but appealing part of the city East of the River.

Unique Quality: Free internet and generous phone policy. My "Raymond Carver" Room was small but atmospheric with a shared bathroom and shower. Basic but excellent breads at Breakfast.

Directions: Located along a mixed residential and commercial thoroughfare (S.E. Division Street). Within walking distance of the Belmont neighborhood which has a lot of good commercial fun. One of the few places to stay within a reasonable distance from Reed College.

Comments