Doubletree Hotels Portland - Lloyd Center

Booking.com Priceline.com Hotels.com

Costs 43% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• meteorologist1's Profile Photo

Convenient location, comfortable

Very quiet and comfortable, clean rooms, and great view of the city and mountains in the distance. Easy access to the convention center. Wireless internet in room costs extra ($10/day).

Unique Quality: This hotel is conveniently located near the convention center and Lloyd Center on the MAX Red Line, which will take you for free to the city center (it is within the free rail zone) and for $2.30 to the airport (in about 30 minutes).

Directions: Take the MAX Red/Blue/Green Line to the Lloyd Center/NE 11th stop.

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo

I ALWAYS STAY AT A HILTON PROPERTY

This DoubleTree is exactly like all the other DoubleTrees Patrick and I have stayed in over the past year or so. The beds are always comfortable, but the air conditioners loud. The hotel was packed this past weekend for a couple of weddings, so we ended up dealing with rowdy party guests half of the night. The staff apologized profusely and gave us a free tin of cookies and credited my credit card. I still got credit for the stay which was awesome. Otherwise, this is the second time we've stayed here. The first time was great this time so so because of the other guests, but otherwise I highly recommend this hotel.

Unique Quality: The linens are great.

• birchy99's Profile Photo

A Bit Of a Disappointment

I recently chose this hotel because of its proximity to the Rose Garden where we were to attend the Neil Diamond concert. Arrival was fine, checkin was no problems; parking included a bit of a wait, but was in a secure parking structure next door. This hotel hosts conferences and being a weekend was busy. We were given a room on the 5th floor as, it seems, everyone else. Our room, even though I had requested a king bed, was a queen, and two of the lamps didn't work. However finding that one wasn't plugged in helped. Being a bit behind schedule we decided to eat in the hotel. However, the dining area seemed to have a lot of tables waiting for service and we stood for longer than we should have without being seated. We went across the aisle to their Mexican bar and restaurant and encountered a long line waiting to be seated and no empty tables in the bar. So we rode the Max light rail down to the Rose Garden and had a slice and a drink.
    Coming back to the hotel after the concert we were in need of a snack but after 11 pm all the food service including room service was closed down. So we thought we'd settle for a cold drink. Unfortunately the vending machine on our floor was sold out. So I went down to the next floor and struck gold. Coming back I decided we needed some ice. Well, the plastic bag for the ice bucket didn't fit the bucket. On top of that the ice machine didn't work. Oh, well, time to go to sleep anyway.
    Breakfast the next morning in the hotel dining area was Ok, but the staff could use some smile lessons.
    I have to say I was disappointed in this hotel. At one time it was one of the best in Portland, but has seemed to have fallen a bit. I doubt I would stay there again as there are many other choices.

Unique Quality: Actually it is a nice location and could be first rate under proper management. We've attended conferences there in the past and have had no complaints. One hopes they get their act together and make some progress back to what they had been. Until then we will go elsewhere.

Directions: Take the Rose Garden Exit from I-5, thence to Grand Ave. or MLK Ave. and turn east on Multnomah Ave. You can see the Double Tree logo on the building.

More about Doubletree Hotels Portland - Lloyd Center

Very comfortable, modern hotel with convenient location

by TripAdvisor Member doubleflyaway

I was there as part of a convention, and this seems to be an extremely convention-friendly hotel. There was another large convention overlapping with ours, but that was no problem.

We enjoyed the Mexican restaurant... much better than you would expect from a hotel ethnic restaurant. Rooms were big and clean, and the beds were very comfortable (and that's saying a lot coming from me). My only complaint would be that the ballrooms were FREEZING the whole time. I had to wear three layers.

It was nice being within walking distance of the train to the airport in one directino and a shopping mall in the other.

Great value

I got a very good price on Hotwire, $55 and the rack rate was $129. Using Tripadvisor and Biddingfortravel I had determined that I was going to get the Doubletree. Excellent location across the street from Lloyd Center Mall, about two miles from downtown. The Max rail line was at the corner and in the Fareless Square (free) zone. I was given a handicapped room, which I did not need, but appreciated the roominess. The second best bed ever after the ones at the Sheratons. Extremely hot weather for Portland, 98 degrees, but the air conditioning worked great, and the black-out drapes were appreciated. For some reason the pool was shut done one day. Clean and well maintained, although hotels in general ought to do something about mildew in the tile grout. The Doubletree is an old Thunderbird/Red Lion from the 70's, and some of the tacky over-the top decor from that period is still visible in the common areas but not the room. Parking was steep. $18 a night Monday through Thursday, $9 on weekends. You can probably get away with parking on the street, but meters are in force from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. My bill at checkout had charged me for an extra day of parking, but the clerk not only took off the charge but took off the last day's parking fee as well. The measure of a business is how they handle the problems. I did not request that this be done and didn't expect it.

The Doubletree is correctly rated at a solid three stars. I give it an above average rating for a three star property.

Terrible, terrible experience

We were initially delighted to get the Doubletree through Priceline at a rate of $50/night. Then we arrived only to find we had just two choices: a small room above the kitchen that smelled like a deep fryer, or a small room on the only other, non-renovated floor, which happened to be a smoking room.

Usually, I'm quite fine taking what I get through Priceline, but the attitude of the front-desk staff made it worse. I'm not much older than those kids, but they treated our presence like an annoyance. The youngsters staffing the desk during the day were not much better. Not only were they incapable of answering basic questions, such as where the public transportation stop is, they were also surly, unhelpful, and downright rude. The only person who appeared to be able to help at all was the bellhop -- and there was a long line waiting for his assistance.

The only saving grace was the cleaning staff, who seemed sheepish about the state of affairs, and Lucy at the Multnomah Grill.

Great Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member parkcity

We were fortunate enough to get our rooms (5 couples) on Priceline, so firstly, the price was right! The hotel is located across the street from the MAX, so very convenient from the airport, downtown and shopping.

The front desk staff was friendly. After getting our warm cookies, we were pleasantly surprised upon getting to our rooms. The rooms-spacious; the views of the city incredible. We loved the duvets and there were plenty of pillows.

The restaurants were pretty typical hotel - although the service was great with extremely pleasant wait staff.

We would definitely return to the Doubletree on our next visit to Portland.

Expectations Are Key to Pleasant Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Velvalee

This is not a 4-star experience, but it is a decent 3-star hotel. Know what you are getting, tailor your expectations, and you'll be fine.

Rates: I got this online from priceline.com for $42/night.

Rooms: Originally intended for conventioneers, the rooms in the tower are small, and the "queen" bed begs to be considered a full-size. A loving couple can stay here comfortably if they don't have too much luggage. I would not recommend these rooms for longer than a night or two, however, unless you are simply there to sleep. Not much room to lounge around, and the decor is standard with some wear; nothing hideous, though. Down duvet and nice sheets make the bedding comfy. Bed is a bit soft and bouncy, which we like, but hard-bed afficianados beware!

Bath: There are no tubs in the bath, but a roomy glass shower box (big enough for 2 to shower together!). Amenities are Neutrogena brand. Clean, with standard thick hotel towels. Because the room is small, the ubiquitous little coffee maker, mugs, and ice bucket take up the extra counter space these bathrooms otherwise offer.

Staff & Service: The staff was quite friendly, room-service was timely and food was decent. We did not try the hotel's dining room or lounge.

Location: That's the real draw for this hotel (besides the warm chocolate chip cookies you get upon arrival!) While not in Downtown Portland, it is only 3 stops away on the MAX Light Rail, and in the Fareless Square (read: Free!) zone. The MAX station is literally across the street from the hotel (don't worry, light rail is quiet!) and you can zip back and forth so easily. Even if you aren't normally a public transit person, this is so do-able that you should just park your car in the garage (they are charging you $9/day anyway) and zip downtown for your meals and shopping.

Otherwise, the Lloyd Center is across the street. It is a large, typical mall...it's one exception being the small ice rink it has. But it has your usual stores and shops, and there are a number of nicer shops and restaurants in the block surrounding the Lloyd Center. But since Downtown Portland is so appealing to me, and the MAX is so easy, I highly recommend doing that.

SUMMARY: The Doubletree Hotel at Lloyd Center is a great value if you want a budget weekend with nicer accomodations than the motels and travel lodges you normally get in this price range. The location is convenient, and the staff are courteous and professional. I would recommend this hotel for: single travelers, couples on a budget, people more interested in comfortable accomodations than luxury accomodations.

Green Double Tree

We had a conference there in the end of June. It is cool in Portland in the summer. The hotel is surrounded by beautiful green plants. It is near a big shopping center, while in the building, you still can have a very good view of this beautiful green city.

Smokers beware

by TripAdvisor Member kelkel94877

I checked into this hotel and requested a smoking room. They stuck me in the smallest room I've ever been in and it had one little tiny window overlooking their room and then a brick wall. The bedpreads were dirty and and the carpet was damaged. I asked to be moved and they put me in a non-smoking room that must be 3 times the size and everything was comfortable and nice looking. This is hotel is a great bargin at the $45 we paid from Priceline but don't ask for a smoking room just take a non and then you use the balcony that they provide in the non-smoking rooms

Comments