Econo Lodge Hollywood District

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Portland

Portland's 1912 "Steel Bridge" seen from the parkPortland's 1912 "Steel Bridge" seen from the park

An audience member who ended up on stageAn audience member who ended up on stage

Great Blue Heron in Sewage Lagoon in Forest GroveGreat Blue Heron in Sewage Lagoon in Forest Grove

NW 3rdNW 3rd

how often rain???

by maxarchitect

I'm trying to understand if Portland is so gray and rainy as I read in Internet.
It's important because I want use bike in the city

How often rain? Is it a shower or a fine mist?

Is it true that rain every day in the winter?

Thanks :-))

Massimo - Italy

by dengay

I do not live in Portland, but here are some things I know. 1)Portland averages about 40 inches of rain per year +/-. 2) It does NOT rain everyday during the winter. We've been on a two week stretch w/ nothing but sun and blue skies, albiet somewhat cool (highs in the mid to high 40's F). 3) Portland is a good city for bicycling. Not as good as Eugene, but still good. Portland does have a good mass-transit system. 4) While heavy rain does occur, especially during the fall storm season, often it will get just a shower or two and then be overcast to partly sunny the rest of the day. 5) From May through October, the weather can be spectacular with temps rarely getting into the 90's F.

by IncogNeat-0

Max:

Suit yourself, but pedeling around a strange city on an unknown heavily traveled grid system is not something I would want to do myself, rain or no rain. While it is true Stumptown is bike friendly, the smallest car still outweighs the biggest bike. I can promise you local drivers have little regard for pedestrians. It is the same evwerywhere, I suppose. Worried about oncoming traffic & entering the traffic stream, few drivers look both ways.

Take care.

by travelightly

You'll weatherize. Portland was recently rated #1 biketown in USA. Don't remember the source. The years I lived there -9- I rode a bike as my main transportation, riding from one side of town 13 miles to work. Never had so much as a close call with traffic. So if you're a dedicated bicyclist...

On the gray/rain scale, I tell people it isn't the rain that's gonna get ya, it's the gray-outs. To survive you MUST learn to appreciate the beauty of gray. And to follow one of the other comments, it usually is more the light rain/mist variety over the heavy downpours, though they do happen. And rain everyday in winter? Nah. There are weeks when it doesn't rain at all.

To re-emphasize, you will have to come to appreciate gray. I had a girlfriend from sunny California who moved here. I remember still her moaning and groaning: "I haven't seen the sun for a whole month." That was true. It was June. She couldn't handle it. Moved back to California.

RE: RE: how often rain???

by RainyB

It's really not bad at all. I Moved to Portland from Boston a few years ago. I left snow on the East Coast in February and when I arrived in portland spring was coming through. I was really concerened with the rain dues to Artritis, but really felt it was no more than East Coast.

Portland is a great place to live and Bikes as so much more accepted there than anywhere else. They have bike racks on the buses. It's a great city surrounded by amazing nature. Enjoy.

Travel Tips for Portland

Hawthorne District

by giampiero6

See the Hawthorne District. Which is the newish 'Bohemian' district on the Eastside across the Hawthorne Bridge and on Hawthorne Blvd. (imagine that) This area is full of little shops of bondage gear, record stores, cafes, tattoo parlors, stuff like that. The usual boho quarter kind of stuff. This character kept accosting me for spare change so I told him I'd take a picture with him...he seemed satisfied...(see if you can spot the VT member!)

Portland

by archan4698

People in Portland are very progressive compared to other places in the US, from having alot of green space in the city, to making car-free travel easier then any city its size I know of in the USA.

Beer Brewer's Festival 2005

by TashieKitten

We like our beer! Oregon Brewer's Festival is held every year at Tom McCall Waterfront Park. Come taste handcrafted beers from brewers in Oregon and beyond. This is no clear beer...they're unfiltered, dark, berry-flavored, hot as a jalepeno...try one or two or ten (or more, but that's your issue).

Check out the link below to view the 2005 participating brewries.

The Festival will take place on July 28, 29, 30 and 31 for 2005.

You can buy a "taste" for $1 or a full mug for $4.

Pro Sports

by Shaft28

Only one professional sports team graces our fair city, the jail worthy Portland Trailblazers.
We do have a mighty following for the minor league Portland Beavers (AA baseball) and Portland Winterhawks (WHL).
Most the city seems more concerned with the college sports to the South (Oregon State and Oregon U).
I'd suggest seeing any of the local sports ehre, pretty fun stiff and the minor league teams always appreciate a crowd.

Multnomah falls.

by crazyk

This is nice getaway that has some little trinkets that might be a little overpriced, like some mount st. helen's ash or your typical pens with the waterfall on it.
There is a trail that takes you to a better view of the falls, it's a nice long walk close to the top where there is plenty of moss for everybody.
To get there, take I-84 east from Portland and it's about 30 miles into the columbia river gorge next to Benson state park.

Comments