Hotel Deluxe

Hotels.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 87% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• misodiva's Profile Photo

Great Service

As this was an older building the rooms were not uniform size, and a bit on the smaller side. Also the heating in the first room wasn't working, but they switched me to another one. The mini-bar basket, was filled with lots of excellent local treats. Comfortable and nicely decorated.

I was a bit suprised it got such high ratings in Conde Naste traveler, as it was extravagant. But the service was really great, everyone was very friendly. Parking was valet.

• IncogNeat-0's Profile Photo

Boutique downtown hotels

Update: May 2007

Three smaller downtown hotels are the Governor, Mallory, and Mark Spencer. The Governor slow food restaurant (Jake's) is highly regarded locally. It is an easy stroll to Pioneer Courthouse Square, and is close to both MAX train tracks (www.trimet.org) and www.portlandstreetcar.org tracks.

Hotel deLuxe (Formerly The Mallory) is a bit farther out in a quieter area, but still an easy walk, weather permitting, to Pioneer Courthouse Square, and is a short walk to MAX a stop. A best bet if the price is right.

The Mark Spencer is the smallest of the three near Portland's longtime, to my surprise, gay community. It was gay, apparently, even when the word meant something other then what it does today.

• Great Place to Stay In Portland!

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on Aug 5 and 6 as we were in town to meet up with some family. The hotel recently went through a renovation and has been renamed the Hotel deLuxe. What a great place to stay! The room we had was just the right size for us as we weren't traveling with a lot of luggage and weren't actually in it a whole lot. The beds were very comfy and I liked the pillow menu.

The Driftwood Bar is great and seems to always be busy. We had breakfast on Sunday at the restaurant in the hotel, named Gracie's and really enjoyed it. The staff was wonderful and helped us find our way as we were a bit turned around trying to find our way around.

I'd recommend this hotel if you are staying in Portland and if we ever come this way again, we'll be staying here.

Unique Quality: Outstanding and helpful staff. Great food. Comfortable beds.

Directions: It's just on the other side of Interstate 405 that goes through downtown.

More about Hotel Deluxe

Character counts at Hotel deLuxe

by TripAdvisor Member mistletoe

I booked a night at Hotel deLuxe as part of a birthday-anniversary surprise for my wife. From the time we left the car with valet parking to when we picked it up the next day, she rewarded me with a happy, contented smile on her face.

Upon learning at check-in that we were celebrating an anniversary, the desk clerk upgraded us at no charge to a large corner room with king bed on the top floor. Nice to be treated nicely! Besides the bed, the room was furnished with a beautiful leather couch, writing table/desk, dresser with big-screen flat panel HDTV, and appropriate hassocks, endtables and nightstands. Bathroom was a bit smallish, but with marble floors and chrome fixtures, just seemed to fit. And a walk in closet? Yes! We really couldn't have been happier.

Some have said the remodel didn't pull off the Hollywood theme. I disagree. It certainly isn't understated, and in fact, some might think it over the top. From the paint colors, to the retro-modern furnishings, to the in-room robes bed linens, everything took us back in time. And for us, it was to a happy time.

A word about location. The car was parked for the duration of our stay. We had dinner in, and walked through the Pearl District, then breakfast in the center of town the next morning. Even though light-rail runs in the street next to the hotel, we chose to walk everywhere we went. And we never felt uncomfortable or unsafe.

Lots of better options in Portland....

The Hotel deLuxe is a beautiful renovation of an old Portland hotel. Although decor is very attractive, the rooms are small and the bathrooms TINY. The king bed was comfy, but took up almost the entire room! Unfortunately, we were given a room behind the elevator and awoke through the night every time the elevator moved. In the morning, I requested to change to another room away from the elevator, but were told that no rooms were available and would be put on a 'list'. I find it hard to believe that not a single guest was checking out that day. Instead of worrying about trying to pack and move and whether we made the 'list', we spent our time exploring delightful Portland. Although the hotel is in a lonely part of the city across I-5 from downtown, you can easily walk to the Pearl and downtown, but its a few blocks of desolation to get there. Given all the other interesting hotels in much better locations, I would choose to stay elsewhere. The 5th Avenue Suites and Vintage Plaza looked great. The Hotel deLuxe would need to really step up their customer service to overcome their problems. But Portland is a blast....enjoy!

Comfort in style

by TripAdvisor Member Tarthu

My boyfriend and I stayed here the month it opened. I never had the opportunity to stay at the Mallory, but had heard very nice reviews from my Grandma who visited often.
The Hotel Deluxe was wonderful. We were there to celebrate my boyfriends birthday, but it was our dog who received all the surprizes... our dog was spoiled rotten the moment we checked in. When we arrived in our room we were so surprised to see how nice they treated him.
He received his very own dog bed, dishes, treats, and toy.
The people beds are very comfortable too!

The Decor was very warm and stylish. We enjoyed all of the photo's of old hollywood. Dont' miss cocktails and appetizers in the driftwood lounge which is retro-cozy.
The staff was very nice.

Can't wait to go back!

The Best Deal in Portland!!!

by TripAdvisor Member BrandonScot

A friend and I spent three days at the Hotel deLuxe for a birthday getaway during the week. Our flight came in early on Sunday AM, so we went ahead to the hotel to check our luggage with the bellhop and he had us talk to the desk. They already had a room for us so they let us check in at 10am!

The service was terrific and we got the royal treatment any time we had any questions or were checking in or out.

The old hotel has been beautifully remodeled and the rooms are spacious and modern with an elegant old-world touch. The only downside to the whole experience was the lack of a two-bed room (they only have a couple of two-queen suites which are a hearty price) and the fact that our room had no view.

The Driftwood Lounge in the hotel lobby is a great little funky watering hole with a really cool retro vibe. The Hotel isn't in the heart of downtown, but it is right on the Max line and juxtoposed right between the Northwest, the Pearl and the downtown districts. We walked pretty much everywhere and found the neightborhood to be clean and quiet.

All I can say is that whenever I visit Portland, I WILL stay at the deLuxe!!!

Enjoyable family stay

by TripAdvisor Member gdodgerfan

Our family of 5 stayed at the Hotel DeLuxe for a long weekend. Usually we like to stay at 5 star properties, being Portland I could not find any. We did some research and found this nice updated boutique hotel, great find. We stayed in the king premiere suite, plenty of room for our family of 5. We did not see any of the smaller rooms so we can not tell you the size.
The staff at the hotel could not be more accommodating, anything you needed they were there for you. Terry at the bar knows his micro beer, and even lets you tast some of Oregon's best, he even outlined a wonderful sightseeing adventure.
The only issue our family had was the hotel is not in the middle of town, with small children you would like to walk right out of your hotel and be in the middle of the action.
If you would like to know, the beds are very comfortable and they even have a pillow menu.
Go and enjoy your stay.

Unique and a must stay!

by TripAdvisor Member Pixiedoodle

We stayed for two nights and were placed in a queen bed in a fairly small room. The interior design and layout of the room more than made up for the lack of size. We deemed it the equivalent of staying in your own bedroom, cozy! The down duvet and soft beds were wonderful, and the option of having a menu that you can order specific pillows off of was great! The flat screen LCD TV was also another treat. The bathroom was clean and contemporary, white subway tiles with grey/purple walls. Kohler bathroom fixtures were a nice touch, as was the extended shower curtain rod.

The staff is friendly and helpful. Restaurant recommendations and sight-seeing maps were provided. The front door staff were always there opening the door for us, greeting us and providing us with umbrellas when it rained.

The parking is across the street in a secure lot. The only problem with this is if you're not willing to use the valet, you have to haul your luggage back and forth to the car yourself (bit of a pain when it rains). It does have an elevator though.

There are some cafés within 2-4 blocks of the hotel. The downtown shopping area is another 5-6 blocks from the hotel. The transit is free to use within the city boundaries, but you have to catch it 1 block from the hotel as the hotel is still within the 'paying' boundary.

I've read that others have complained about the the transit noise, but we found it to be a background noise (light humming sound). This was most frequent during commuter hours, but evening/overnight was sporatic.

Hotel deLuxe is now that standard that I base all other hotel stays upon!

Very classy hotel...

by TripAdvisor Member Frog007

This is a nice, classy hotel. We've been to Portland many times and this is the best hotel there that we've stayed at. The bed was very comfortable and we loved the flat screen TV and other modern touches. We had a great brunch in the elegant restaurant. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The only thing that disturbed us was when we went to get our car there was no valet around and the closet containing everyone’s keys, right by the main hotel doors by the street, was wide open. It would seem that the car keys should be kept secure when there is no hotel staff around. Otherwise everything was great and we will definitely stay here again.

Cool Hotel with great bar/lounge

by giampiero6

Heading up to Portland with some friends. We'd like to stay in a cool hotel that is near Pearl District and has a great, lively lobby bar. Anybody have any suggestions?

I was thinking of Hotel Lucia...thoughts? It would be ideal if the hotel that we stay in has a cool bar that people go to as a destination... does hotel lucia fit the bill?

Thanks a lot!

G

by Foundryman1

I was visiting some friends who live in the SE section of Portland last May.We stayed at the Jupiter because it was close by.Can't say that I'd stay there again but it was clean and has an interesting clientele.Definetly not as swanky as anything in the Pearl district.Check out the attached nightclub the "Doug Fir"-Also a great place for breakfast-C

by bocmaxima

The aforementioned Doug Fir is awesome, but a little bit of a walk from Downtown/The Pearl. The Someday Lounge was also kind of cool, but not really a destination spot. Also try to get to the Rogue Tap Room while there. Henry's has a very popular happy hour, but it may be too noisy for your tastes.
Try the Hotel deLuxe. The Driftwood Room inside is nice, but I'm not sure how active it will be.

by Marianne2

If you're not completely restricted to the Pearl District, there's a very off-beat, rather funky hotel (but nice) that I've stayed at -- the Kennedy School, an old early 20th century school reconditioned into a nifty and atmospheric hotel by the McMenamins brothers. They have transformed several old historic properties into good hotels in the Pacific Northwest. The place is popular with both locals and tourists, and has several bars and restaurants within its property, plus a movie theater (free, fairly recently-released films for hotel guests in the theater). However, it is not near the Pearl District, and probably requires car transport. It might not be "hip" enough for you. But, for fun, see:

by giampiero6

Oh yeah...I know about this place..cool. I didn't know they had a hotel too...thanks!

by bocmaxima

I stayed at the McMennamins in Centralia the last time I was up there and it was top-notch. Great European-style room in a really cool building with a bar downstairs that had its own house-brewed beer. We also got to see "There Will Be Blood" for free as part of the room rate.
Good suggestion!

by Marianne2

Yeah, Colin, there's that hotel in Centralia, too, and next time I'm down there, I intend to stay in it. These two brothers/owners do an excellent job of managing their interesting hotel properties.

Comments