400 SW Broadway, Portland, Oregon, 97205, United States

Expedia.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

• A Consummate Portland Experience

I have never written an online review for anything before but it would be absolutely unfair not to write about the Lucia. I am a widely-traveled business exec and I absolutely detest the sterile hermetically-sealed shoe boxes like the Hyatt and 4 Seasons. I would rather stay in a 100-year old converted brothel that at least has some character and wood and brick and windows that open. The Lucia has all this - a classic beauty in the heart of downtown Portland which is a lovely city if you have never been there. Superb luxury accommodations at a reasonable price. But the absolute best thing about it was the staff. Young, hip, cool but completely on their game when it came to service. When I checked in they asked if I wanted wireless. I said the last thing I wanted to do after a 12-hour trade show was spend the evening answering emails - but I did need to check for 5 minutes for one email I was expecting. Their answer? No problem, we'll comp you the $15 charge so you can do that. Good so far. I ask them what their best rate is. They say $129 for their standard room. I say 'okay'. They say - but since you are a first time guest we'll put you in one of our larger corner suites at no extra charge so you can get a feel for the Lucia experience. Okay cool. I get to the room and all I wanted was a nice long hot bath. Big bath tub. Yes. Beautiful robe laid out. Double yes. High def wide screen tv. Pour a glass of wine, sink into the tub, watch the widescreen. Finally after an hour of soaking I begin to feel the road dust and fatigue melt away and I feel myself becoming a real human being again. Get dressed and head out for a few cocktails. Return about 1am with some magnificent take out food - but I need cutlery and China. No prob. The front desk brings me out a full set of the finest. Go up to my room. Have my dinner on fine China. Sink into the spectacular king size bed under a down duvet. Flip on the wide screen. Pass out within minutes. The Lucia deserves your business. The people who work there are definitely among the finest and most professional I have ever experienced and I commend them all.

• VdV's Profile Photo

Hip, modern hotel

Hotel Lucia has got to be one of the hippest spots to be in Portland. The rooms and halls are adorned with fantastic b/w photos of celebrities, landscapes, etc. EXCEPT, one of the photos in my room looked like a shadow of a palm tree...but upon closer inspection, it was a shadow of a palm tree nestled in a cemetary! Scary! Why would they put a picture of a cemetary in a hotel room?!

Thaiphoon is the restaurant located on the ground floor--I have not eaten dinner there, but here it is pretty good (though a bit pricey.) I ordered a Thai omelette for breakfast one time; it was just an omelette with spicy red chili sauce (the one in the plastic bottle with a rooster) on it--didn't taste all that great.

I also had several problems at the hotel--the rooms are small; the walls are quite thin (I heard a couple next door to me arguing and then breaking up all weekend.) The closet and rack were SMALL with limited space. My CD player was broken. The lobby was crowded with people wanting to be part of the "scene" which made for long waits at the registration desk everytime I had a question (or complaint.)

Unique Quality: If you want to be hip, this is the place to be seen.

Also, one of the closest quality hotels to Powell's Bookstore.

Beds are really comfortable, but tend to take up most of the space in the room.

• Portland's Hippest Hotel

I stayed here for a weekend and didn't want to leave. For me it was the perfect mix of high class but cosy. Sophisticated but not pretentious -- the staff were friendly in the just right way, not over-pleasing (you know what I'm talking about!). I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, and have already done so. Check out their Betty Promotional packages, they're clever !

Unique Quality: Elegant decor, hip atmosphere, cosy, snuggly beds.. It reminds me a lot of the W Hotels but on a smaller scale. Torrefazione coffee and Tazo teas are a nice touch.
    My favourite part of this hotel is the artwork covering the walls and black and white photos in the rooms. The beds are simply plush which could be a drawback because you want to stay IN bed the whole stay instead of exploring the city!
    I think the location is the best -- right on Broadway and in the heart of the city.

More about Hotel Lucia

Did Not Like Hotel Lucia

There should be something between "terrible" and "okay." We stayed there because it was a convenient location. Two blocks from the MAX and across the street from the site of the wedding reception.
However, it did not seem worthy of the price (about $125). The room was really, really small. There is no hot spot--these days, that should be an included feature. The Internet that was available was pricey. Service was ok and room was cleaned effectively.
The other problem is that this part of Portland is exceptionally seedy. There are bums all over Broadway and at the square across from Nordstrom. It is hard to navigate the street without having some smelly, dirty bum approaching you.
There is no way I would stay there again and I would avoid the neighborhood.

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member LOfam

I really wanted to leave a review since I have benefited from so many others who have done the same. We live in a suburb 10 minutes outside Portland and decided to have a little getaway with my husband for a weekend. Hotel Lucia was fantastic! The hotel atmosphere and decor are fabulous...I felt like I was in NY. I thought there might be some attitude from the staff that can so often accompany ultra trendy places, but it was quite the opposite. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. It's a fantastic location: so much shopping and restraunts close by. And just a 5 minute drive away is the ultra hip Pearl shopping district and 23rd Ave. Do not listen to the reviewers who said it was noisy and there are bums lingering around. Hotel Lucia is in the heart of downtown, so of course there's always some noise, but it's nothing obtrusive. And with all downtown areas there is always the occasional "bum", but you'd think from another review that the hotel sat in the middle of skid row! Just so not true. Rooms aren't huge, but who cares? We only slept there. We spent all our time enjoying Portland's fantastic restraunts, shopping and such. We would totally go back again.

A Nice Refuge In The City

We have stayed at the Hotel Lucia a half dozen times now and each experience has been great. The decor is modern and comfortable. Security is terrific with in-room safes and key operated elevators. The location can't be beat.

I have noticed some criticisms of the hotel which I think should be qualified. If you stay here realize it is in the heart of the city. The roads in Portland are busy all day and night. It's not loud for us, but if you want idyllic quiet stay in the suburbs somewhere. The Typhoon restaurant downstairs is a fine Thai place. If you want good food there or as room service, order Thai.

What an awesome room....

My brother sent me on a weekend escape. I had no idea what a great brother I had. When I arrived in Portland it was pouring. The hotel let me check in early so I could drop my stuff off. The great service continued for my entire stay. I will stay here again and again. What a great location as well. Just moments from all the public transportation you would need.

So so so romantic!

by TripAdvisor Member alymedina2b

I took my fiance here as a surprise when we were visiting Portland for a friend's wedding. The room was absolutely luxurious. When we walked in the lights were dim and a sexy jazz CD was playing softly. The bed was so comfortable.
The bathroom was breath taking, with gorgeous fixtures. I'm a total bathroom snob, and this bathroom was great. The only thing that could have been better was a separate bath tub/shower. Despite that, I loved taking a bath and looking out the window onto the city (and knowing no one could see me!).
My only complaint? I called guest services and asked for a second robe, which they never delivered. But after an hour or so neither my fiance or I noticed. ;)

I'd head back in a heartbeat. My girlfriends and I are considering it for my bachelorette party. :)

Hotel Lucia, Heathman, 5th Ave Suites Comparison

by gowest06

Has anyone stayed at all three, or perhaps two of the three? I am trying to get an idea of the rooms sizes, friendliness of the staff (or lack thereof), location, ease of check-in check-out?

RE: Hotel Lucia, Heathman, 5th Ave Suites Comparison

by jwmcphee

I agree with anvilmedia, Hotel Lucia is a great hotel and I would highly recommend it. It depends on the type of experience you are looking for, or the type of traveler you are. The Hotel Lucia is a hip, trendy hotel that has a lot to offer: boutique, hip crowd, downtown, Typhoon restaurant (best Thai food!) and unbelievably comfortable beds.

I'm sure you've taken a look at the Web site, but here it is just in case: http://www.hotellucia.com.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

RE: RE: Hotel Lucia, Heathman, 5th Ave Suites Comparison

by orcoastgirl

For others interested in these Portland hotels: I stayed at the Heathman a few weeks ago. We loved everything about it. Friendly service, beautiful lobby and Mezzanine area and we had two fantastic meals at the restaurant there.

I will try to get some photos posted when I do my Portland page. The Heathman has won numerous awards and the lobby was featured in a prestigious Hotels of America publication there. Would definitely stay there again for a downtown place.

We have also enjoyed several great stays over the years at the Riverplace Hotel. It is now a Larkspur property, very nice a bit of luxury with pretty river views. If anyone wants more info on Riverplace or Heathman, feel free to ask me. :)

Re: Hotel Lucia, Heathman, 5th Ave Suites Comparison

by Scarletto1

I realize this is an old thread but thought it would be appropriate to add recent info regarding the Hotels spoken of here :)

Do tell more about the times you stayed at the Riverplace hotel? When were you there last? Was the highway re-construction finished?
Thanks.

The 5th Avenue Suites is now named the Monaco Portland. They are still owned by the Kimpton Group and have refurbished, re-decorated the entire hotel. They are aiming at becoming a 5 * hotel..having stayed there about 30 nights in all, I think they are close to getting that 5th star.

Comments