515 SW Clay St, Portland, Oregon, 97201, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Costs 178% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Look no further, this is a great hotel!

Hotel Modera offers one of the best quality/price ratios I've ever come across! For only $100 a night, we had a really nice and comfortable room, with all the amenities you can think of (including free Internet access and really good bath products). From check in to check out, the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, and we very much enjoyed wrapping up a day in Portland by having a drink at the hotel's courtyard bar, which featured a few fire pits that provided both heat and a really nice ambience. There was also a pretty good Mediterranean restaurant on the premises (see my restaurants tip). As for the location, I thought it was quite convenient since it was right next to a green/yellow Max Line station, but pretty much the entire downtown area was within walking distance. There's also a shuttle service available to take you to the airport.

Unique Quality: One of the world's 500 "small luxury hotels" (http://www.slh.com).

Directions: Downtown Portland

More about Hotel Modera

A MUST stay at Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member singlinsea

I would like to HIGHLY recommend Hotel Modera!

At the last min. my partner and i decided to spend the weekend in Portland. We searched for a place to stay the day before on the internet and that is when we came across Hotel Modera, i called immediately to check availability and ask a few questions. I was shocked how nice and excited the person on the other end of the phone was. I frankly have not encountered this in any hotel we have stayed at in PDX. We booked our stay and arrived the following day. From the time we were greeted to the time we left the staff was extrodinaraly pleasant, and always seeming to want to tell us more or help us in any way. Not only was the staff wonderful but the hotel was truly beautiful, VERY contemporary, clean, comfortable and clutter free.
We would for sure recommend this hotel over any were have ever stayed at in PDX. We are also looking forward to returning! Congrats to the team that opened this new hotel in PDX.

Sincerely,
Cal

Wonderful accommodations

by TripAdvisor Member cpete1228

We would like to say how much we enjoyed our recent stay at the Hotel Modera. My husband and I were traveling with our son and daughter-in-law so we had reserved 2 rooms. The staff was extremely obliging and assigned us adjoining rooms which made our stay a very pleasant "home away from home" experience. The rooms were very clean and beautifully decorated. The bed was one of the most comfortable I’ve slept in at any hotel, with plenty of pillows and warm, cozy linens and throw.

Hotel staff were all very accommodating, friendly and available even at late night hours when we returned from the day’s activities. We did not use the courtyard at all but it was a beautiful view from our windows and the fire pits made the area extremely inviting after dark. All the amenities, including the small refrigerator, excellent air conditioning/heater, in-room coffee maker and morning breakfast helped to make this a very memorable and comfortable vacation. We will certainly remember the Hotel Modera as a wonderful place to stay during our next visit to Portland.

Carol Peterson for
Peter & Carol Peterson
Peter, Jr. & Soeun Peterson

Cool, unique and comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member creighc

I came full circle on my opinion of Hotel Modera. After booking on Hotwire and learning it was a former Days Inn, I was skeptical of the 4-Star rating. However, I changed my mind after seeing how much effort has gone into the new property. From the bellman to the front desk and room staff, everyone was friendly, efficient and went the extra mile. The rooms are small, but very tasteful. The location is great - right near the cultural center and close to downtown and several public transportation options. This is a different type of hotel. If you are looking for the Hilton type experience, I think you should look elsewhere. However, i do agree on the 4-Star rating.
I was especially impressed by the fantastic free continental breakfast with fresh fruit, scones, fresh juices, meats and cheese. We chose not to pay the $27 valet charges and had no problem parking on the street nearby (parking after 6PM is free). All in all, I think the negative reviews are dead wrong. Good job staff and mgmnt!

Not 4 Stars

by TripAdvisor Member markinoc

I travel to Portland quite a bit and like to sample the high-end hotels at decent prices so I use Hotwire.com to see the best rates for 4 star places. This weekend, I ended up at the Hotel Modera.

The staff were nice, but you could tell right away the place was trying it's best to be a step up from what it really is. The place was pretty pretentious.

I'm sorry, but modern decor, flat screen TV's and only selling wine in the hotel shop does not a 4 star hotel make.

I commented to my traveling partner that it looked like someone tried to soup up a Holiday Inn Express... well, apparently it was a Days Inn formerly. Makes sense.

$27/night for valet parking was ridiculous on this, the less crowded, more residential, university side of town. On top of the high price, when we got our car back, it was covered in either the hardest water spots I've ever seen or it must have been parked next to a dusty construction site while it was misting/drizzling in the late night. A stop at a gas station couldn't get the stuff off the next morning. Not too mention what looked like someone a stain if someone left a coffee cup that leaked on the roof all night. Thankfully, most of it (the coffee stains) came off at the gas station cleaning.

Overall, it's not a BAD place. It's new and they're working the kinks out, that's fine. If anyone reading this knows Portland, though, my overall impression was that it was a 30-something version of the Hotel Jupiter. Just a cheap hotel trying to look a lot better than it really is, tacky modern crap to make it seem cool, and 30 and 40-somethings drinking wine everywhere.

For $200/night (after rate, fees and parking), try to get a deal at the Monaco, Benson or Lucia. Better location and REAL 4-Star hotels.

Technical Difficulties

by TripAdvisor Member jsturm

My wife and I went to Portland for an evening with the intentions of staying at a nice hotel downtown and enjoying all the good food and great wine that Portland offers...

Well, our first mistake was making reservations at the Hotel Modera so soon after they opened their doors...

Given that this trip was a last minute decision, we considered ourselves lucky to get into a a nice hotel. The room was pricey (~$300), but it was within walking distance to the places we were interested in going.

Our issues began with key cards that didn't work. We got them reprogrammed multiple times before we were finally able to get back into our room after dinner. I've had this "key card" issue at different hotels before and didn't consider it a major issue - it all depends upon the sequence of programming them and I wasn't too concerned.

Prior to dinner, we noticed that our room wasn't very cooling down at all (no A/C--while it was blowing, no air was coming out). Since this was a weekend with record high temps in Portland (high 90s) we were very concerned about this. We contacted the front desk at approximately 7pm prior to going out for dinner, hoping they would fix it.

We returned from dinner at 10pm, experienced the final throes of the "key card" issue and finally got into our "sweltering" room. Not only had they not fixed it, they hadn't even tried...

After another 45-min of back and forth between us and the front desk, we finally decided to pack our bags and leave. By 11pm we were on the road back to WA...

It isn't that they had technical difficulties so much as the lack of effort at trying to fix it...after being given almost 4-hrs to fix the problem, they were still unable to come up with a satisfactory solution.

This is the first time we have ever walked out and demanded our money back. We aren't difficult people to please, but at $300 per night, I expect MUCH MORE...

Room was small. Bathroom was small. However, both were clean and the lobby was inviting (very modern). I'm sure they'll get the bugs worked out, but for the time being I don't recommend them...

Very nice

by TripAdvisor Member profwho

I liked it. Bed very comfortable. Sheets a little "rough" but not bad. The throw on the bed was cool. GREAT TV. The white walls kinda made it feel a little too stark to me, but ... that's the theme ... Did not get to use the patio with the firepits (arrived late, left early), but it was cool! The windows in the rooms are VERY thick, cannot hear anything!!!

No room service, which is a bit annoying if you arrive late and are starving, but you can just order pizza for delivery in.

ALL IN ALL, I'd stay here again. It is off the beaten path and calming!

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member DellaE

When my husband and I reserved our room with this hotel, it was still Portland City Center Inn, so, we got a really good deal, they honored the price we were given. All in all the hotel is a nice place, very clean, and staff were very friendly. Bathroom door was a bit strange, shared with the closet. Rooms are a bit smaller than they used to be. The one down fall is the manditory valet parking at $24 a night!

Very nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member mustafa106

A very nice hotel with a great location which is a short walk away from the sights of downtown portland. Staff and everything was great but the only dissapoint is the very expensive car parking charges. I wished the hotel would specify how much parking is on thier websites so that travellers are aware of it.Despite this it was a very good hotel.

New Fav in Portland

by TripAdvisor Member sandrodog

Our new favorite hotel in Portland. The room was airy and comfortable. Great alarm clock/ipod docking station. The bathroom was well thought out, with plenty of room for both my wife's and my toiletries. The staff was friendly and helpful. The lobby courtyard is a great place to relax.

Comments