Hotel Vintage Plaza

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Costs 126% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• GlobeTreckingCanuck's Profile Photo

Lots of Choices

We have visited Portland several times and each time we stay in a different hotel. Here's our top five in order of preference.
    The Marriot Hotel
    The Hotel Vintage Plaza
    The Westin Hotel
    The Benson

More about Hotel Vintage Plaza

Great experience

by TripAdvisor Member drkmn

My daughters and I stayed at Hotel Vintage Plaza over the 4th of July weekend. We had a wonderful experience. We stayed in one of the two level suites. The rooms were very nice. The most outstanding part of our visit was the service. It was OUTSTANDING!!! From bringing sparkling apple cider for the kids during the wine tasting to the massage person that they brought in during the wine tasting to the very nice complimentary barbeque on the 4th of July to all of the help in finding things around Portland. The staff was amazing! We would definitely return to Vintage Plaza! It was our favorite hotel of our trip out west.

Great hotel

Stayed at this hotel as part of honeymoon with my same-sex partner of 10 years (finally made it legal thanks to the Canadian gov't; thank you civilization). Hadn't stayed there before; didn't know what to expect, but was very pleasantly surprised. Comfortable room, nicely furnished, professional and helpful staff, prompt room service, no weird "you guys would like a room with, uh, one bed?" stuff, well located hotel, good restaurants etc nearby, a few blocks from Powells books (one of the main reasons for the trip); the wine tasting each aft was a nice touch. Only down side: $25 a day for parking was a bit steep, and they have no lot onsite, so you have to remember to call early to have them bring the car up when you need it. Overall, I'd stay there again.

liked it a lot but...

by TripAdvisor Member msnmsn

The hotel was very cmfortable with a very helpful staff. BUT - bring lightbulbs! Because of the wine-themed decorating, our room was ery dark. Red wine, I guess. We were moved to a brighter room but still dim. There were not enough light fixtures and ceiling lights in the room All of the lightbulbs were 60 watts. Everything else was very lovely.

Not that great!

by TripAdvisor Member TRavlerbarry

We booked a Townhouse suite with King bed months in advance. We arrived at 3:05pm and was told " Our room was not clean: when I reminded the desk clerk of the "check in time" they found a room, The room was not the room we requested. It had a queen bed insteand of a King, we had to go back to the lobby to straighten it out. We used the towels in the bathroom and asked the room to be turned down and new towels etc. , new towels were delivied to the room, but the dirty towels left on the floor. (this happened 2 nights in a row, even after asking the desk clerk to have them replaced) The valet is 25 dollars a day, I dont mind paying $25.00, what I do mind is having to wait 15 to 30 minutes for my car. (the garage is only 2 blocks form the hotel). The last night there was a wedding party in the hotel, there was laughing screaming etc, until 1:30am on the floor below ours, when we called the desk to complain, he stated "Oh thats the wedding party!" Not what I would except for a 4??? Star hotel???

An Excellent Value For Downtown

by TripAdvisor Member HomebodyMe

I did a lot of internet shopping before deciding on Vintage Plaza and found that if I checked other "rate plans" on their website I was privy to a better rate than "best available". The rooms were clean, roomy and comfortable as was the hotel itself. Staff was professional and courteous but not overly so. I requested a quiet room and was given one on the south side of the building. Not such a good choice. Garbage and delivery trucks began arriving each day at 4 a.m. and the pedestrian warning beeper at the carpark across the street sounded each and every time a car exited the structure which was nearly non-stop during daylight hours. To be fair, I never heard a peep from inside the hotel, either from other guests or that annoying whoosh-of-water you often get when someone in another room flushes their toilet or takes a shower. Also, the cleaning staff was rarely seen, but our room was always freshly clean when we returned and you never got the feeling they were hovering waiting for you to exit so they could do their duties. In regards to parking, if you plan to park most of the time and explore on foot or by mass transit, it is half the price to park in the carpark across the street. It is only a few steps away and security seems to be adequate. Be sure to check out the hotel's Pazzo Ristorante and order a bowl of pasta. The pizza looked good too! And for breakfast or lunch do not miss the adjoining cafe which has the best baked goods I've had anywhere.

Vintage, an Unsusual Disappointment

I live in Portland, and my husband treats me to the occasional Mom’s night away from the kids. I have stayed in many downtown hotels in the last year. I read the reviews and checked out the web site. The Vintage sounded and looked very promising. I booked just a basic queen room.

I walked into this small, dark, musty room. Everything was worn and tattered. The pillows and the down comforter inside thin sheets were yellowed and had stains all over them. The bathroom was dirty. The bathrobes were threadbare. I was shocked! This was a very expensive room! I know I should have asked for a different room, but they were booked and I was exhausted. Room service had a very limited menu and breakfast was sparse on the basic niceties, like sugar, jam, etc. Maybe a pot of hot water for the tea would have been nice instead of a tiny cup.

This hotel is not worth the hype or money. Try the Embassy Suites Downtown, the Heathman, or the Riverplace Hotel.

once was enough

Having stayed at the 5th Avenue Suites, a sister property of this hotel, I expected the same level of quality as we were paying the same price. What we got was a small, well worn room, and a noisy lobby and adjoining bar that echoed throughout the hotel until the wee hours of the morning. This sort of laissez faire attitude towards maintaining a degree of solitude for guests is not what we'd hoped for when booking at a boutique hotel in the city. Again, a polar opposite of my experience at the 5th Avenue Suites. I could hear water running through pipes so loudly I thought we had a leak in our room, showers stopping and starting, and activity in the lobby was at a level that kept us from relaxing. We could hear everything going on in the rooms above and around us. Overall, not where I would come again.

Poor service

I stayed at the hotel for over two weeks on a business trip. If I had been paying for the room myself I would have checked out and moved to the Benson just down the street. My luggage was delayed the first night and I called down to get a toothbrush - $5.00 for a toothbrush! It took the valet 35-40 minutes on several occasions to retrieve my car, making me late to several meetings. Several items in the gym were broken (obviously no regular upkeep is done on the gym machines) and the manager seemed annoyed that I brought this up. Over the 2 weeks I was there nothing in the gym was fixed. I had to ask 3 times to have a NY Times delivered to my room every day, even though at check in they said this was included. It still didn't happen on a regular basis, so I gave up. These complaints could have been minor if I hadn't been treated badly by the manager. I was traveling alone, am female, and look very young, which may have been why the manager treated me with disdain. Although the other staff were generally nice, the manager's tone was very bothersome and I would not recommend this hotel.

restaurants

by alstjohn

In a week i will be headed for Portland. It iwill be my first time in Portland. I will be there for several days. I am arriving at 104o pm. Can i still take the metro to my hotel St. Lucia ? Best Italian restaurant in Portland? Vegetarian food?

thanks so much.

Re: restaurants

by jumpingwithnorman

Hi. Have never been to Portland either but always wanted to go and take my husband. He's a big fan of Tom Grant, jazz pianist and Tom Grant usually does shows in piano bars and clubs around Portland. If you get a chance to check him out, let me know how that was... ciao, Nannette

Re: restaurants

by orcoastgirl

I would go right next door to Pazzo at the Hotel Vintage Plaza, we just dined there this past Sat. night and had the Lamb Papradelle, it was amazing! We also dined at Fenouil for lunch, in the Pearl District and this past Mon. night at Le Pigeon which was interesting and wonderful! Enjoy your time in Portland. :)

Comments