Inn Northrup Station

Inn at Northrup Station
Expedia.com Travelocity Tingo.com

More about Inn Northrup Station

Stay here when visiting Portland

The Northrup Station in Portland is a wonderful place to stay. They have a well designed web-page showing great images of the hotel that represent the hotel truthfully. The beds are very comfortable, I slept like a rock. The walls are thick so you don't hear other guests walking above you or moving around beside you. They have all the great extras including all the kitchen items you need to cook, blow dryers, nicely packaged and designed shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soaps, and even the toilet paper is packaged in orange paper to match the bright interiors. They've even gone as far as providing informational magazines about Portland from restaurants to tourist attractions. I will definately recommend the Northrup Station to friends.

WOW!!!! What a stay

This is long overdue but I felt I have to share my experience with those who care to read this.
I stayed at the Inn at Northrup Station for 8 days, and I have to say this was the most relaxed and enjoyable stay I have ever had at any hotel. The room was spacious (I loved the door and patio so I could always get a cool breeze in the room), the front desk people were pleasant, friendly and approachable and the housekeeping staff where the same.
The location was top notch, in the mix of everything.
I have not one negative thing to say about my stay.
I plan on coming back to Portland and I will always stay here.

by TripAdvisor Member piacere

A give away that my husband and I, 50 plus age travelers, were probably NOT in The Inn at Northrup Station's guest demographic was the decor that appears to have been influenced by "Laugh in meets MTV" and room appointments that are more college dorm than luxury oriented. Beds are, to be polite, ULTRA firm and walls and ceilings are thin enough to be very aware of your neighbors. But, we still LIKE this place and MOST (not all) of those friends and family, from pre teen to 70 something, who we've "turned on" to the Inn at Northrup Station like it too. (Pre teen nieces declare this "awesome".) The rooms are spacious and contain full kitchens; great for hauling home a little something from nearby Trader Joe's, City Market or Elephant's Deli for in room noshing. And while we've never used it, we understand that the outdoor deck off the third (?) floor has a barbeque available to guests. The free, on site parking is a plus, the location right in Nob HIll is teriffic as is the fact that Portland's first rate public transit system has a stop right outside the Inn. During our stays, there has always been a nice continental breakfast offered in the lobby. So, overall, we give this "thumbs up" and recommend a room on the second floor or above (spring for the upgrade that includes a balcony) and on the Northrup Avenue side which is more quiet than you might think. Were I able to correct one thing at this location (OK, maybe two..the beds really ARE marginal) it would be the service; staff could benefit by professional customer care training. Last comment; I've recently needed to use a wheelchair and it is a pet peeve of mine that so many lodging facilities, this one included, don't put thought into their accessible rooms, failing to meet the mere minimum standards of the ADA (which are truly MINIMUMS in application). Fortunately, I still function in a way that I can choose to use non ADA rooms; but if you are a traveler who must have a fully ADA compliant room, this facility would be marginal.

It Shouldn't be That Difficult

Having stayed at the Northrup inn before, we know a few things going in:

1) We won't be able to read by the light from lamps in rooms
2) The offered "continental breakfast" is neither
3) Customer Service is not their forte
4) It is a Non-Smoking inn
5) Location is what keeps this Inn in business
6) It wouldn't take much to make this place a great find in all categories...but alas.

So, after 27 visits to Northrup Inn which we previously loved for its location and quirky decor (which has grown quite sad and worn), we thought we knew all of the possible downfalls that might befall us as guests. WRONG! We found they'd learned a few new tricks in offending their "guests". And I must tell you all that we are a cheerful, resposible, sober normally non-complaining couple...we are pleasant when asking for help, we say please and thank you...but it fell on deaf ears.

!) Room at orginal confirmed rate??...NOPE...But it's printed on this paper!...NO way, we would pay $15 more per night...Done deal, take it or we'd have to leave and they had us, since all hotels were full for Father's Day weekend, with several events in town.

2) We signed the usual papers stating that we could be charged if our room smelled of cigarettes (we don't smoke, so that was okay). It was very warm in the room though the fan was on...room smelled of cigarette smoke...and it was getting stronger by the minute...to air out the room, we opened the door to our balcony, only to find an army of 4 chainsmokers camped out on the balcony below over a heaping ashtray (they sat and smoked day and night)...so much for "fresh air" OR a room that didn't smell of smoke...and having the fan or air conditioner on only made the smell stronger...a call to the desk and a clerk rather crisply informed us that though the Inn was "100% non-smoking"...somehow, the management considered the balconies to be "not part of the Inn at Northrup Station". Sooooo, no fresh air, no cool air, and no room that smelled UNsmokey. ( We are now awaiting Inn's attempt to charge the several hundred dollar charge for a smokey smelling room!)

3) ANTS ...yup...ants on the 2nd floor...each morning...a trail of ants wound its way over carpeted floor and onto different locations...desk...wall......the last day it was one of the beds...and noooooo, we didn't have food in the room...the deskclerk shrugged shoulders when asked what could be done. We shooed them away, but they always came back.

4) Toilet would not flush...investigation found a broken piece that we were able to fashion from a coat hanger (not trusting desk to fix anything). One employee did come in to see if our "table" had been fixed yet (9 hrs after desk was notified).

5) Had to fill a bowl to rinse shampoo from our hair since the water pressure at Inn was sooo low. Even with our improvised hanger-flush, it took 3 or 4 times per flush.

And now our patience has finally run out on the Inn at Northrup Station...Buh-Bye!

Too Many Loose Ends

by TripAdvisor Member BuinessTraveler

This really should be a great hotel. Ideal location, cool design, large rooms, but the hotel management just don't seem to pay attention to detail. I've stayed at the Inn at Northrup Station many times and have passed my comments on to the employees many times but they just seem to ignore input from thier guests. Plus, I see many of the things that bug me in the reviews here on this web site so I'm not alone in my views.
First and foremost - the staff. The people that work at this hotel just seem indifferant to thier guests. No warmth, no friendly greeting, no interest in the comfort of thier customers. Lots of screw ups in charging the wrong rate, not being able to find a record of my negotiated corporate rate and not seeming to care. This place simply needs to find a hotel manger that cares about the experience of thier customers and who insists on the same from thier staff. An occassional smile would be nice as well.
Second - The bed...don't get me wrong, the beds are great...big wonderful king size beds with a sheet over and under the blanket...but...why, oh why, won't this place purchase a fitted mattress sheet? They simply use a flat sheet, tuck it in, and wthin a short time, the whole thing comes undone and I wake up with the sheet all balled up with my face on the bare mattress pad. This happens every night, despite my repeated attempts to retuck the bottom sheet. Doesn't anyone from this hotel ever try sleeping in one of thier beds? Don't they listen to the repeated complaints of thier customers? This has been an issue for several years!
Third - The lighting. Once again, nice try but no attention to detail. First, the place is decorated with cool furniture and lamps and the cieling has great recessed can light fixtures. But, despite complaints from me and others, they insist on using those long life florescent bulbs everywhere. Not only that, but they must be selecting low wattage bulbs because the place in dimly lit and you can barely read in bed.
I stay in Portland over 100 nights per year and I keep hoping this place will finally get it right...but unfortunatly things stay the same. The truth is, with just a few minor adjustments and a staff that cares, this place should be able to generate the best reviews in town.

Nice place to stay

The hotel was really nice. I stayed there with my family. We had 5 rooms in the hotel. So I was able to go into 5 rooms. All the rooms were very nice. I really like having a full kithen in the room. The staff was very helpful. The hotel also has a continelnal brekfast was was very nice. If yo are going to portland. I would highly recomend this hotel to stay at.

Thin Walls and Poor Lighting!

This is was our second attempt at staying here! Great location, fun colors but definitely THIN WALLS and CEILING! We could actually hear the word for word CNN news from the room next door! When we finally called the front desk to complain at 3AM that we couldn't take the news next door, we could hear the phone ring as the front desk called the room! The baby crying down the hall was hard to take but certainly only a problem because of thin walls. We were awakened at 5:30 by the people above(shower ,toilets, getting out of bed etc.). On little sleep, we were especially disappointed to have maids knocking on our door at 8:30 and again at 9:15! This and check out time isn't til noon! The "leave me alone" signs they have for do not disturb were not available for the room! Even at that to twice be awakened with "so sorry" was hard to take.
The lighting in the rooms is poor! Good luck trying to read while seated on the couch. To top it off the light bulb was burned out in the light next to the bed.
Great concept just poor implementation. Thicker walls and not so cheap would have made this a stand out
Wished we hadn't tried to see if they had improved.
We are in Portland often and won't be here again

Not worth your time!

We made reservations to stay at this place, but needed to cancel. Their policy states that cancellations must be made at least 48 hours in advance for a full refund. We canceled a WEEK in advance. They still charged us $130, which happens to be considerably more than the price of the room we reserved. We called them and have received nothing but rude service AND they refuse to refund the money. I suggest finding a more accomodating place to stay.

I fell in love with it

I just loved this place from the moment I walked in the door. It is one of a kind. They need to have these all over the United States. It was the best. I hated to leave and I am still thinking about it. I took pictures of the room and interior and exterior. We stayed April 19th 2006 to April 22nd 2006. We came up on the train from St. Louis, MO to Portland to site see. We had never been there before and someone ask me what was the highlight of my trip and I said the hotel. I loved the color scheme and the fact that the room felt like a apartment instead of a hotel room. We took the street car two days and rode around the city and we also went to the roof top and sat awhile. It was so nice to have dishes and everything you could think of was supplied. I could go on and on about this place. I just hope that they start building more of the same all over. Someone needs to get started on this plan. I would defenitely stay here again over and over. If I ever return to Portland this is where I will be. Kathie

A little dated, but attempted "fun"

by TripAdvisor Member WallaWallaMollt

The best thing this hotel has going for it is the location, which is right in the middle of the boutiquey, fun NW 23rd area. GREAT location!! The hotel itself is a dated attempt at funky, fun and unique. The concept is a good one, but not executed very well. The walls are thin (I think the people upstairs were rearranging the furniture at night and I was concerned we were waking the neighbors with our alarm in the morning). Free parking was a bonus and the large rooms were nice. Our second floor balcony was nice, but as it's basically a fire escape, you can't do much on it (the first floor balconies looked awesome though, with table and chairs and still well above the street level). This hotel would be a treat for kids I think, but for a romantic weekend, I'd pick somewhere else.

• JayG51's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2013 at 12:18 AM

We were just here and I can confirm the following:

1. ANTS - our room was on the 2nd floor
    2. barely continental breakfast - nothing hot except for the toaster
    3. totally thin walls - could hear everything
    4. disinterested staff - seemed inconvenienced by any request

I wanted to really love this place. Too bad.