Jupiter Hotel

800 East Burnside Street, (formerly Travel Inn Motel), Portland, Oregon, 97214, United States

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 38% more and rated 17% lower than other 3 star hotels

• Beds are not Queen

The room was small and the beds are not Queen size they are full. I stayed with my sister thinking i would be in a queen size bed and it was so small. I have a queen size bed at home and ther is no way in hell this is the same size. When I called the front desk and told the lady how come they say they are queen size and the they are full size she was like all of them are. She then said she has a queen size bed at home too. I asked her if she stayed here before and she said yes. That was a lie. If you dont care about space and you like being lied to then this is the place. The room is small and decorated nicely, But I would never stay here again. It has thin walls and easy to hear next door, down stairs and lovely bar/lounge all night till close.

• misodiva's Profile Photo

Trendy Motel

Rooms open to the outside of an old motor lodge that has been converted. They are very well designed, modern, minimalistic. Very youth trendy. I don't think I would stay there for business, as furniture was a bit low to ground. Not sure if it is full service, no business center, fitness center, etc. But for a stay with my boyfriend it was fine. Also since the live music is on-site I didn't notice, but wasn't sure if they were playing that night.

Unique Quality: The Doug Fir lounge and restaurant is next door. Really excellent decor. They have live music.

• Foundryman1's Profile Photo

A funky little hotel

I think we were probably the first people who ever stayed here for more than a couple of nights.I cant believe we stayed here almost a week.The average customer I think is here to sleep off a drinking binge at the Doug Fir Nightclub or doing the Hey Nonny Nonny with someone they've picked up in the bar.The staff got to know us and I think they were fascinated that someone would stay there more than a night .Not that the place wasn't clean but it was decorated a bit sparsly and it is a bit noisy from the club and the outdoor seating in the courtyard for the restaurant.

Unique Quality: The Doug Fir Restaurant is greta for breakfast.-Still talking about the smoked salmon eggs bennedict.

• ackram's Profile Photo

Great Hotel

I flew into Portland a number of hours late after my flight was delayed. After picking up a hire car I headed towards my hotel stop looking for a place to eat on the way, but everywhere seemed to be closed or closing. Finally I gave up and headed to the hotel, fed up and hungry. Couldn't believe my luck to find out the hotel had a lively restaurant and bar with a friendly atmosphere, got a great meal and Bloody Mary before heading off to my room. Definitely will stay again if I ever go back to Oregon.

• Affordable and funky

Modern re-do of a 50's motel. Clean, funky and close to downtown. On Burnside just across the river from all the action. Neighborhood is funky with cool furniture and resale shops mixed in with older industrial uses. Front desk guy was very nice and gave us a larger room for $79.

Unique Quality: BIG BONUS - DOUGLAS FIR restaurant and lounge on site....great food 21-7, great 50's modern meets lake cabin atmoshere

Cool at nightime with blue lights and an outdoor fire.....

Chalkboard painted doors, minimal & modern IKEA furniture.

• Jtodd's Profile Photo

Funky hotel in Portland

This is a really funky art deco style hotel just outside of downtown Portland. It is attached to the Doug Fir Lounge which has great food and excellent live music.

You won't find many amenities and it probably isn't great for business travel. But, a good low-cost place if you're in town for the nightlife.

Unique Quality: The area isn't the greatest but there is secure, gated parking under the hotel.

Try the breakfasts at the Doug Fir lounge - excellent.

• Rude_boy22's Profile Photo

An artsy hotel you can afford

This place makes me want to hate it for it's ultra cool clientelle and mod (ie plastic) furniture, but I just can't. The Jupiter has a staff that may not be all that professional, but are truly helpful and know a thing or two about Portland. Any traveller who wants a decent room for under a hundered dollars, and doesn't mind being next to a loud bar and cafe (essentially, this is a hotel for the party crowd) the Jupiter is the place to go.
    Now, East Burnside between the Sandy junction and the bridge is not the best area of town, lots of drug dealers and crap, but it is in a great central location and you will not have to pay for parking downtown. The Bossonova ballroom is also a couple of blocks away.

Unique Quality: Well, the most obvious reason to stay here is it's being attatched to the Doug Fir lounge, (see review under restaurants) where you can see a good live music show, hit the basement pub, see an art gallery, and grab a bite to eat without leaving the block.

Directions: Remember that Burnside is the street that seperates the North from the South side, and the Willammette seperates the West (Downtown) from the East. Well, The Jupiter is on Burnside's East side, just across the Burnside Bridge from downtown.

More about Jupiter Hotel

A mixed bag of "tricks"

by TripAdvisor Member cpassant

The Jupiter Hotel is a trendy "W" type of hotel.
Former motel, tranformed into a chic place to stay.
The Douglas Fir restaurant and bar are fab, but the noise spills over into the main grounds.
So if you are planning on a good n ight sleep, stay elsewhere (they hotel provides complimentary ear plugs and condoms in every room).
You get the idea.
It's clean, sparse, wire free internet.
It's great if your young, business travellers, go to the Embassy Suites.

Never, ever stay here

by TripAdvisor Member HL950

Ew.

That pretty much sums up our experience at the Jupiter Hotel. I'd read the bad reviews before booking, but we wanted to save a little $ and stay in a cheaper hotel for our second night in Portland. The front staff is inexperienced and flippant, but I was completely willing to overlook that until we first stepped into out room - and were hit by a stale, pungent smell that overtook our senses the entire time we were in the room. It was truly disgusting - we tried to spend as little time as possible in our room due to this fact. Warning: the hotel's photos of their rooms are completely opposite of what you'll find in reality - gross old carpet, 70's era tiny bathrooms...even our toilet paper holder had fallen off; no one had apparently thought to fix it. Noise really wasn't a problem - the only nice thing to say about this sad excuse for a hotel.

The Jupiter hotel and the Doug Fir  restaurantThe Jupiter hotel and the Doug Fir restaurant

Comments