Portland Hotels

Our Members Say

• steedappeal profile photo steedappeal
  • Reviews: 285

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

HI-Portland Hostel, NW: A basic hostel in a great neighborhood

I have never stayed before in a hostel so it was a surprise when the short lady (spiky hair and glasses) said that my federally-issued U.S. Passport was not sufficient enough identification to stay! She then asked if I had a license and was not amused that people from NYC rarely have drivers' licenses. We then settled on a business card showing my work address and this seemed to work. Short story: bring a drivers' or nondrivers' I.D. to avoid a tense 'welcome".

The working practice is that the hostel discourages area people from using them as cheap accommodation (which I fully understand). There was even a tenser moment at checkout when a young man was asked to leave the lobby (with the police threatened to be called) since he did not seem to have the right I.D. either!!

I booked a single room (I think it was #14?). Very clean and simply furnished. It was located directly above the front door so the only negative was the sound of the door opening and closing when I tried to take a quick nap. Bathroom for the singles was shared but you could lock it for privacy. I would definitely recommend bringing some flip-flops for walking around from your room to the bathroom.

In an excellent neighborhood known as the "Alphabet District"- very attractive looking shops, restaurants, etc..

There is internet service (just bring singles if you use their terminals). Not sure about wireless.

Plenty of useful maps (since my general tips for more about Portland maps) in the Lobby.

Good way to meet people from around the world. There was a fairly mixed age-group, too.

There is a locked luggage room for those needing to store a bag.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Singles, Backpacking
  • Written November 21, 2010

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5956

Coupon Clipper Special: eastside cheapies are fine

Finding a cheap room in Portland was looking a lot harder than I had anticipated. Prior to leaving for our six month trip, it was one town I did some research on as far as rooms was concerned. I wanted to be in the center as there are a lot of brewpubs and craft beers are one of the city's main attractions for me. I didn't want to have to drive to get to them. I found the very cool sounding Hawthorne Hostel but they had limited private rooms and no parking aside from on the street. The biggest problem was we didn't know when we would be in town so it was impossible to book it in advance. With so few private rooms it didn't seem we would be able to stay there. While traveling around Oregon, we had been using budget travel brochures we picked up at tourist information center. My wife found them and they had come in very handy and had saved us a few times and some money as well. When approaching Portland, I scanned them to sort out if there was a place walkable to town that was cheap and sounded clean. I called one that caught my eye and they had rooms for $52 including tax.

It was on a bus line into the city center so we went straight there. It was a simple two story motel that looked unremarkable but I asked to see the room and it was clean and serviceable. We took the bus into town and realized we could easily walk it so did just that for the remainder of our stay. The motel's area was not dangerous nor was it scenic but it was close to not only town but also some cool east river neighborhoods that locals hang out at. It was over the Burnside Bridge, on the east side of the river. I cannot remember its name but likely these things change from year to year. The area seems dotted with other budget motels though that price was surely a factor of having the coupon as it was only good for one night. I had to bring a new coupon down each day to receive the discount. So, grab those coupon books. They're like free money.

• Related to: Road Trip, Beer Tasting, Budget Travel
  • Written October 25, 2009
Tip Photo

Belmont area home, not the motel!

• leafmcgowan profile photo leafmcgowan
  • Reviews: 608

IYHA Downtown Portland: IYHA Youth Hostel Downtown Portland

IYHA downtown Portland Hostel
IYHA Downtown Portland Youth Hostel
425 NW 18th Avenue, Portland, OR 97209 * Tel. 1-503-2412783 * Fax. 1-503-5255910 * info@nwportlandhostel.com
Portland's most centrally located hostel within walking distance to city centre, Amtrak/Greyhound, Washington Park (Rose Garden, Japanese Garden, Oregon Zoo), Powell's City of Books, museums, downtown, the Pearl, Chinatown and more. In addition to being centrally located to walk, its only 3 blocks from Portland's famous fareless zone: all buses, trams, and street cars are free in downtown. Deep in the heart of Portland's historic and vibrant Northwest/Nob Hill neighborhood the area is bustling with thriving shops, cafes, brew pubs, theaters, calleries, and nightlife. Its a block away from the Mission Brew Pub theater ($3 movies) and Forest Park the country's largest natural park. They expanded the hostel to two buildings in 2006 - The elliston building which is a 1889 historic landmark that hosts dorms and private rooms equipt with a outside courtyard with BBQ, kitchen, dining room, small coffee bar, common areas, laundry, internet kiosk, free wireless internet, free local phone calls, free lockers and storage, free parking lot and free on-street parking, free pastries, bread, n' bagels, and free pizza every night.Hostel offers 24 hour access. The staff is really friendly and helpful showing areas on the map where to go and what to see with information boards updated daily. They offer van tours to Mt. St. Helen's Volcano, Columbia River Gorge, Cascade Mountains, and the Oregon coast. I found my visit here on 12/19/08, albeit short, was a fantastic time. Thank you! Rating: 5 stars out of 5.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip, Study Abroad
  • Written December 21, 2008

• IncogNeat-0 profile photo IncogNeat-0
  • Reviews: 60
Roses Rooms: Private Lodging

January 2008

It took awhile to track down, but this posting by Ambera 101 last April, seems ideal for the budget minded.

Posted: Fri April 6, 2007 04:38 PM PDT

"I am relocating to portland next month and staying at a private residence bed+breakfast type of lodging for a bit, which is either 33 or 37 a night." - ambera101

• Written January 29, 2008

• ChadSteve1975 profile photo ChadSteve1975
  • Reviews: 258

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hosteling International Portland Northwest: Hosteling in Portland is super.

This hostel is just 10 minutes walk from downtown, and 5 minutes walk from 2 of the best dining streets in Portland.

It's seemingly set in inner suburbia Portland.

The cab ride to the hostel from the Greyhound terminal was just $8 if I remember right. A good option considering I arrived at night and had no idea where I was.

The hostel is set within 2 buildings. They obviously started with just the one building but expanded with growth. They would expand further if they could. This place was busy. And I can see why. The location is great, and the accommodations decent.

• Related to: Backpacking, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written September 2, 2007

This hostel was great.

• IncogNeat-0 profile photo IncogNeat-0
  • Reviews: 60

Hostelling International: NW District IYH

Update: March 2008

From Union Station/Greyhound Depot: Walk due south to NW Glisan (Glee-sun), a short distance, then right to NW Broadway, a shorter distance. Board #17 Trimet bus.

L A N D M A R K: Mission Theater to the left or Pearl Hardware to the right on NW Glisan Street just past the freeway overpass.

Exit at NW 19th & Glisan, next bus stop. Former NW Youth Hostel, now available for group lodging, is across the street & back half a block; the new one is around the corner on NW 18th. Limited parking.

From Airport: Purchase & validate Trimet ticket via ticket machines at airport Trimet boarding station. Visa, Master Charge, Discover cards accepted. Pennies & $2 dollar bills not accepted; all other US currencies up to & including $20 USD accepted.

Board Red MAX Beaverton train. Exit @ SW 4th/5th. Walk due east to SW4th & Morrison. Board northbound #17 Trimet bus. Exit @ 19th & Glisan, etc.

Most (all?) Fred Meyer superstores (Freddies) have a serviceable deli as well as fresh produce and canned & packaged food. The one near the NW Youth Hostel, a 5-10 minute walk, may be the best in town for that purpose. Walk west on NW Glisan, then left on 20th until you reach W Burnside.

Pay phones & a small, clean restroom. A block east on W. Burnside is a popular hangout for old teens. Most have laptops. All have cellphones permanently screwed into their brainpans.

The Kingston, directly across Burnside from Freddies, may be the best place in town for a hearty, no nonsense blue-collar breakfast to start the day off right. All Freddies open at 7, seven days a week. So does the Kingston.

A World Cup coffee shop is located across the street from the NW youth hostel on 18th & Glisan.

A small Trader Joe's is further west on Glisan, a half block past 21st. Saint Cupcake is located a block east and a block south on NW 17th & Flanders. Most characters on "The Simpsons" TV show are named after Portland Streets which, in turn, are named after dead people.

Portland has two Youth Hostels. Each had a 3 day limit the last time I checked for a total of 6 days if you work it right. Either is close to anything since PDX has an excellent public transit system. Cash not accepted by bus drivers. Tickets may be purchased online via Trimet link below.

• Written October 26, 2006

• Lornabug profile photo Lornabug
  • Reviews: 43

HI Northwest Portland: A Simple Hostel in a Great Location

It was funny to book this hotel arriving in Portland in sudden, unexpected need of a bed on Pride weekend, since my friends had never stayed in one and kept asking what hostels were like, all the details and probing questions included. Because answering all their questions left all my hostel experience fresh in my mind, I was able to see this stay in light of hostel conditions worldwide, and I'd give it top marks.

The place was pretty booked because of Pride, and we didn't luck out for our first night there, but we were able to get two bunks for the 3 following nights. Also, we left early, and they let us out of our 24 hour cancellation notice when we left early because they had enough last-minute interest. In light of that, I'd say make a reservation, but keep trying if you find yourself on the streets of Portland and you might get lucky.

The location is just outside of downtown transit's free zone, making it free or cheap to get to. Once there, it is kidy-corner to a great big green park and hip northwest Portland. My blind morning forage for caffeine only took me to the next block for Blue Moon Cafe's Peet's-like coffee. There are a couple of tables out front of the hostel to relax at, there's a fully-equiped kitchen with fridges and a dining/game room. The desk had plenty of travel guides to use and odds and ends you might be in need of. We found days worth of things to do just looking at their fliers and bulletin boards, and both staff and travelers were kind and friendly.

The place is like an old Victorian, though not run-down. We stayed in a room with 3 adjoined rooms, 4 bunks total (8 beds). There was one cute bathroom with an old-fashioned free-standing tub and orphaned toiletries for all 3 rooms, as well as a similar one in the hall for anyone in desperation or a hurry. Don't get to bed too late if you care about your bottom bunkmates: the beds are SUPER noisy! Sheets and towels are available for a buck or so, but blankets are free.

Great location, clean, well-equipped.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Gay and Lesbian, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written July 28, 2006
Tip Photo

• flomom profile photo flomom
  • Reviews: 2

Lakeshore Inn: Water and birds

Visited Lewis & Clark College.
Every room has a microwave, coffeemaker, small refrigerator, and cooktop.
Also dishes and utilities.

Rooms on the water have balconies.
Walking distance to stores and bars and restaurants.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written May 3, 2006

• seoulgirl profile photo seoulgirl
  • Reviews: 256

Cameron's Hostel: Great private hostel

You can rent a room in this person's home for 40$ a night. I believe is was 250 for a week. And they give good deals on longer stays. They have 2 rooms for rent. Two very nice young guys (one is the owner) live there permanently and you never see them. Except one of them comes out once in awhile to bake two pot pies. In a very quiet and safe neighborhood w/ a fenced back yard to relax in. Kitchen facilities available. If you walk out the door and go left you can catch a bus that goes right downtown or walk to the right and catch one that goes to the Max and to Hawthorne street which is fun to hang out and drink beer/shop/watch a movie and has lots of restaurants.

This is a very nice little house. You would feel comfortable to let your mother stay here. There is a nice older man that lives next door that helps with the upkeep of the house and will help you out with anything. Plus the owner lives in the house too so it is really safe. You get a key to your room and the front door. There is a tv room and laundry in the basement for free. There is a donation jar upstairs for laundry soap or if you eat a package of their Ramen soup late one night you can pay for it there also.

• Related to: Gay and Lesbian, Wine Tasting, Beer Tasting
  • Written September 13, 2005

Cameron's Hostel

• ZanieOR profile photo ZanieOR
  • Reviews: 197

Shilo Inn in Tigard: Good value near Washington Square

I'm not sure why this particular Shilo Inn wasn't one of those listed by VT, but it didn't seem to be.
This was a very comfortable place to stay for a relatively bargain price ... I paid about $45 per night plus tax during Thanksgiving weekend, booking through Orbitz.
I did reserve two double beds, and received one queen, but it turned out fine as I ended up being the only one staying there.

It is very close to Washington Square shopping center, and fairly easy to get to downtown Portland, which is about a 15 minute drive, depending on traffic.

Anyway, I thought it was a comfortable place to stay for a few nights while visiting family nearby.

It had a microwave, refrigerator and coffee pot in the room, and there was a continental breakfast with yoghurt, cereal, pastries, fruit, juice and coffee.
The bed was comfortable and there was a color TV and hot bath/shower. Everything you could ask in a place to sleep and relax.
There's also free parking; a whirl pool, which I didn't use; and a big screen TV in the lobby.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Trains
  • Written February 6, 2005

Shilo Inn in Tigard near Washington Square

• seoulgirl profile photo seoulgirl
  • Reviews: 256

Hi-hostel Northwest International Guesthouse: Great hostel

I lived in Portland for a five years previously and returned to visit. The location of the International Guesthouse is unbeatable. You are just minutes to 21st and 23rd street and a small walk away to hop on free city transportation (you have to be within a certain area to get it free). 21st and 23rd street are long trendy streets (but dress is casual, laid back area) w/ many bars/clubs and restaurants. And there is shopping. Our private room was nice. One bathroom per floor 2 floors total. A nice little lounge area with helpful tips lying about was useful and deserted. Very peaceful place. I really felt like I was on vacation in my old home town. I would give the place an excellent but the stairs are steep and the place needed a bit of upkeep.

This house is not connected to the hostel but is a few blocks away. Check in at hostel.

Homey, super super location!, quiet, lounge, community fridge, helpful guidebooks with tips, free muffins/bread, coffee/tea/sodas available for small fee (on your honor).

• Related to: Gay and Lesbian, Backpacking, Zoo
  • Written December 15, 2004

• whowotwot profile photo whowotwot
  • Reviews: 19
Rock n Roll Inn: Haunted hotel

I've never stayed here before, but it's a cheap place to stay (rooms as low as $40.00) Make sure to make reservations well in advance though, there are only 11 rooms.

This place is in an excellent location, it's not right downtown, but it's only about 5 minutes away. You can catch the Max a block down the street which will take you right downtown. It's located in an area which is very popular right now with the artsy crowd. There's an art gallery, a Mcmenamins that serves great German food and microbrews and even a place where you can create your own wine among other things.

This inn is located above a tavern called the White Eagle Saloon (also owned by Mcmenamins). It's said to be haunted so watch out! It's an older building but they decorated it really cool plus it's very clean and well kept.

• Related to: Music, Arts and Culture
  • Written September 4, 2004

• Orbital_ profile photo Orbital_
  • Reviews: 135

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hostelling International - Portland Northwest: Beautiful city, superb hostel...

Fabulous little hostel in an adorable neighbourhood of Portland. A few blocks away there’s a Trader Joe’s for all your supplies, and a few blocks beyond that is the heart of the Northwest-Nobhill district centred around NW23rd Avenue – full of great little independent shops, restaurants and coffeehouses. The hostel is well maintained with great facilities and helpful friendly staff but the location is definitely what makes it one of the best places I’ve stayed. Close enough to walk/take the bus into the heart of Portland but just far enough out to make you feel like you’re in a small town.

Really, I can’t recommend this place enough. I long for an opportunity to get back to one of America’s most attractive cities and this home from home within it.

I cut & pasted this from the HI page - but this was all there when I passed through!

Free bread & bagels
Free Portland Map
Free local calls on our guest phone
Free local and travel information
Free lockers and luggage storage
Free public transportation within the city center
Free summer concerts in neighboring parks
Free: sales tax free shopping

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written March 4, 2004

• alza profile photo alza
  • Reviews: 356

mon's place: Typical Oregonian house

My sister moved to Portland, OR, while I was living in France. A few years later, my work base was in Ottawa but it brought me from coast to coast and to the States a lot.

Whenever one of my trips ended in Vancouver or Seattle, I would drive to Portland to see her. She had two young kids so we spent most of our time just talking late into the night.

Anyway, that's why I don't have hotel tips for Portland. But there's no lack of good B&B's or budget hotels in Portland, so don't hesitate to go. The more I went, the more I liked the city. Very laid back. Unconventional and open-minded people, much more community-minded than I was used to, interesting discussions, etc. That's easier to come by when you're a house-guest but I also met great people while on my own. :-)

Everything is good about the place, especially the food and wine, and the family spirit!

Houses are not over-heated as in Quebec. When you feel chilly, you don't turn up the thermostat, you put on a sweater. I could have put on gloves sometimes! Hardy NorthWesterners! :-)

• Written November 17, 2003
Tip Photo

• anderschwan profile photo anderschwan
  • Reviews: 63

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Skamania Lodge: Skamania Lodge - Gorge-ous!

This is a super fancy resort with Golf courses, a great restaurant with a huge fireplace, and an incredible view of the Columbia River and the Gorge. My parents and I had a great time at our Christmas lunch at Skamania.

It has everything - a little expensive though. But the view is incredible.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average