Portland Hotels

Our Members Say

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5929

Coupon Clipper Special: eastside cheapies are fine

Finding a cheap room in Portland was looking a lot harder than I had anticipated. Prior to leaving for our six month trip, it was one town I did some research on as far as rooms was concerned. I wanted to be in the center as there are a lot of brewpubs and craft beers are one of the city's main attractions for me. I didn't want to have to drive to get to them. I found the very cool sounding Hawthorne Hostel but they had limited private rooms and no parking aside from on the street. The biggest problem was we didn't know when we would be in town so it was impossible to book it in advance. With so few private rooms it didn't seem we would be able to stay there. While traveling around Oregon, we had been using budget travel brochures we picked up at tourist information center. My wife found them and they had come in very handy and had saved us a few times and some money as well. When approaching Portland, I scanned them to sort out if there was a place walkable to town that was cheap and sounded clean. I called one that caught my eye and they had rooms for $52 including tax.

It was on a bus line into the city center so we went straight there. It was a simple two story motel that looked unremarkable but I asked to see the room and it was clean and serviceable. We took the bus into town and realized we could easily walk it so did just that for the remainder of our stay. The motel's area was not dangerous nor was it scenic but it was close to not only town but also some cool east river neighborhoods that locals hang out at. It was over the Burnside Bridge, on the east side of the river. I cannot remember its name but likely these things change from year to year. The area seems dotted with other budget motels though that price was surely a factor of having the coupon as it was only good for one night. I had to bring a new coupon down each day to receive the discount. So, grab those coupon books. They're like free money.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Road Trip, Beer Tasting, Budget Travel
  • Written October 25, 2009
Tip Photo

Belmont area home, not the motel!

• ZanieOR profile photo ZanieOR
  • Reviews: 197

Shilo Inn in Tigard: Good value near Washington Square

I'm not sure why this particular Shilo Inn wasn't one of those listed by VT, but it didn't seem to be.
This was a very comfortable place to stay for a relatively bargain price ... I paid about $45 per night plus tax during Thanksgiving weekend, booking through Orbitz.
I did reserve two double beds, and received one queen, but it turned out fine as I ended up being the only one staying there.

It is very close to Washington Square shopping center, and fairly easy to get to downtown Portland, which is about a 15 minute drive, depending on traffic.

Anyway, I thought it was a comfortable place to stay for a few nights while visiting family nearby.

It had a microwave, refrigerator and coffee pot in the room, and there was a continental breakfast with yoghurt, cereal, pastries, fruit, juice and coffee.
The bed was comfortable and there was a color TV and hot bath/shower. Everything you could ask in a place to sleep and relax.
There's also free parking; a whirl pool, which I didn't use; and a big screen TV in the lobby.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Trains
  • Written February 6, 2005

Shilo Inn in Tigard near Washington Square

• alza profile photo alza
  • Reviews: 352

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

mon's place: Typical Oregonian house

My sister moved to Portland, OR, while I was living in France. A few years later, my work base was in Ottawa but it brought me from coast to coast and to the States a lot.

Whenever one of my trips ended in Vancouver or Seattle, I would drive to Portland to see her. She had two young kids so we spent most of our time just talking late into the night.

Anyway, that's why I don't have hotel tips for Portland. But there's no lack of good B&B's or budget hotels in Portland, so don't hesitate to go. The more I went, the more I liked the city. Very laid back. Unconventional and open-minded people, much more community-minded than I was used to, interesting discussions, etc. That's easier to come by when you're a house-guest but I also met great people while on my own. :-)

Everything is good about the place, especially the food and wine, and the family spirit!

Houses are not over-heated as in Quebec. When you feel chilly, you don't turn up the thermostat, you put on a sweater. I could have put on gloves sometimes! Hardy NorthWesterners! :-)

• Written November 17, 2003

• Aquamantos profile photo Aquamantos
  • Reviews: 262

Sunriver Resort: A paradise in the mountains!!!

This is a great place to stay. It's not right in Portland, is in the mountains, like 5 hours by car from the city.
There are lots of activities during Summer and Winter.

It has a fantastic view.
Golf, Spa, private homes, concerts, fly fishing, ski, etc...
Check out the web site written down below.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Skiing and Boarding, Golf
  • Written April 27, 2003

Sunriver Resort

• Shaft28 profile photo Shaft28
  • Reviews: 191

Timberline Lodge: Where they filmed the Shining

Best known in the US for where Jack Nicolson was filmed in the Shining, but to the ski community it is a place where there is almost year-round skiing.
Truly a ski lodge with small, but quaint rooms.
Great service and a fantastic restaurant.
Views are amazing and worth the not very expensive price.
Just an hour away from Portland, what more can you ask for!

Near the peak of Mt Hood.
Great pool and saunas.
The architecture is wonderful
$75 to $230.

• Written February 14, 2003

The entrance

• IncogNeat-0 profile photo IncogNeat-0
  • Reviews: 60

Hostelling International: NW District IYH

Update: March 2008

From Union Station/Greyhound Depot: Walk due south to NW Glisan (Glee-sun), a short distance, then right to NW Broadway, a shorter distance. Board #17 Trimet bus.

L A N D M A R K: Mission Theater to the left or Pearl Hardware to the right on NW Glisan Street just past the freeway overpass.

Exit at NW 19th & Glisan, next bus stop. Former NW Youth Hostel, now available for group lodging, is across the street & back half a block; the new one is around the corner on NW 18th. Limited parking.

From Airport: Purchase & validate Trimet ticket via ticket machines at airport Trimet boarding station. Visa, Master Charge, Discover cards accepted. Pennies & $2 dollar bills not accepted; all other US currencies up to & including $20 USD accepted.

Board Red MAX Beaverton train. Exit @ SW 4th/5th. Walk due east to SW4th & Morrison. Board northbound #17 Trimet bus. Exit @ 19th & Glisan, etc.

Most (all?) Fred Meyer superstores (Freddies) have a serviceable deli as well as fresh produce and canned & packaged food. The one near the NW Youth Hostel, a 5-10 minute walk, may be the best in town for that purpose. Walk west on NW Glisan, then left on 20th until you reach W Burnside.

Pay phones & a small, clean restroom. A block east on W. Burnside is a popular hangout for old teens. Most have laptops. All have cellphones permanently screwed into their brainpans.

The Kingston, directly across Burnside from Freddies, may be the best place in town for a hearty, no nonsense blue-collar breakfast to start the day off right. All Freddies open at 7, seven days a week. So does the Kingston.

A World Cup coffee shop is located across the street from the NW youth hostel on 18th & Glisan.

A small Trader Joe's is further west on Glisan, a half block past 21st. Saint Cupcake is located a block east and a block south on NW 17th & Flanders. Most characters on "The Simpsons" TV show are named after Portland Streets which, in turn, are named after dead people.

Portland has two Youth Hostels. Each had a 3 day limit the last time I checked for a total of 6 days if you work it right. Either is close to anything since PDX has an excellent public transit system. Cash not accepted by bus drivers. Tickets may be purchased online via Trimet link below.

• Written October 26, 2006

• Lornabug profile photo Lornabug
  • Reviews: 43

HI Northwest Portland: A Simple Hostel in a Great Location

It was funny to book this hotel arriving in Portland in sudden, unexpected need of a bed on Pride weekend, since my friends had never stayed in one and kept asking what hostels were like, all the details and probing questions included. Because answering all their questions left all my hostel experience fresh in my mind, I was able to see this stay in light of hostel conditions worldwide, and I'd give it top marks.

The place was pretty booked because of Pride, and we didn't luck out for our first night there, but we were able to get two bunks for the 3 following nights. Also, we left early, and they let us out of our 24 hour cancellation notice when we left early because they had enough last-minute interest. In light of that, I'd say make a reservation, but keep trying if you find yourself on the streets of Portland and you might get lucky.

The location is just outside of downtown transit's free zone, making it free or cheap to get to. Once there, it is kidy-corner to a great big green park and hip northwest Portland. My blind morning forage for caffeine only took me to the next block for Blue Moon Cafe's Peet's-like coffee. There are a couple of tables out front of the hostel to relax at, there's a fully-equiped kitchen with fridges and a dining/game room. The desk had plenty of travel guides to use and odds and ends you might be in need of. We found days worth of things to do just looking at their fliers and bulletin boards, and both staff and travelers were kind and friendly.

The place is like an old Victorian, though not run-down. We stayed in a room with 3 adjoined rooms, 4 bunks total (8 beds). There was one cute bathroom with an old-fashioned free-standing tub and orphaned toiletries for all 3 rooms, as well as a similar one in the hall for anyone in desperation or a hurry. Don't get to bed too late if you care about your bottom bunkmates: the beds are SUPER noisy! Sheets and towels are available for a buck or so, but blankets are free.

Great location, clean, well-equipped.

• Related to: Gay and Lesbian, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written July 28, 2006

• Shaft28 profile photo Shaft28
  • Reviews: 191

McMenamin's lodges/hotels: Great Pubs, great hotels!

An old ranch, a insane asylum, an old elemantary school, and more - all converted to hotels. McMenamin's offers a handful of creative hotels with great restaurants, pubs and more inside. Some even have movie theatres and glass blowing house.
You have to check them out to undertands them- and all a great deal financially.

Each one is more unique than the next - nothing else out there like these.

• Written February 14, 2003

• MrGQ profile photo MrGQ
  • Reviews: 147

Whenever I'm in Portland I am...

Whenever I'm in Portland I am always trying out new B&B (Bed and Breakfast) and Portland has a wide fine selection of those. So I will mention some of my top fav here.

'Clementine's B&B': A cozy Italian Victorian B&B built in 1888. Located near downtown.Most of the rooms have beautiful views of the river and surrounding mountains.

'Days Inn City Center':on 6th Ave in Portland. Very nice hotel with data ports for you internet junkies and free Gold's Gym for guests! REasonablly priced in the $80-100 range.

'Falcon's Crest Inn': This might be an Inn but make no mistake, it is a luxory chalet-style bed and breakfastat! One of my top favs. They serve elegant six-course dinners with a great selection of wine!To top it all, it is located high on the southern flank of majestic Mt. Hood. Price range $120-180 range last time I was there!

'Heron HausB&B': Again don't let the B&B in the name foo you! This is a stately old mansion in one of Portland's best neighborhoods!Fireplaces in each room, breathtaking city views, a hot tub and sun deck so you can catch a tan! Still cheaper than many standard franchise hotels!!

'The Lion and The Rose Victorian B&B': The name sounds like some Shakepearian play! And it does live up to the name! In the Irvington District,The Lion and The rose looks like a lavish movie set from the inside,Vintage furniture, flowing draperies and designer outfitted rooms make you go back in time to the Victorian days. priced around $140-160 but worth every penny in my opnion!

Nico I'm a VIP and I want something good enough for a president! Hmm .. I guess I'd say you should stay at the White House then! Portland's White House that is!!

Its a Super Luxory B&B located in Historic Irvington that looks remarkably similar to the Washington DC White House! Minus the security of course :) from 1 to 10 I'd give it 12!! Romantic, elegant and sophisicated! My 1st choice for a romantic weekend. Price you ask? Well when I was there it was around $160 which is not bad for a night at the white house!

Nico I a modest down to earth sorta dude, anything for me? Well try

'General Hooker's B&B': NO! No hookers are supplied with the room .. to the best of knowledge anyway! :)
Located in a quiet neighborhood just south of downtown.Reasonabbly priced $80 range.Nice clean rooms.

Something cheaper?

'Portland Guest House' $60 range. However if you want something really cheap(notice I said cheap not inexpensive) then try 'Portland Hostel'. You will have to share with roommates but you pay something like $15/day!! I have never stayed there myself but I have friends who have and they liked it.

So here you have it Portland does have a wide variety ranging from a White House to a Hooker's B&B!! You make your own jokes :)

• Opinion of Price:
  • Written September 8, 2002

• essbegood1 profile photo essbegood1
  • Reviews: 24

McMenamins Lodging: McMenamins Lodging

Check website

There are several McMenamin Brother B&B locations in the Portland area. They all pride themselves on their unique art and homeade brews. Portlanders appreciate that McMenamin Brothers purchase run down historic buildings and revamp them to everybodies liking.

• Written August 25, 2002

• misypris profile photo misypris
  • Reviews: 7

Marriott Waterfront, Benson...

Marriott Waterfront, Benson Hotel, RiverPlace Hotel
In US currency, an average room would cost you between $150 and $300 per night. 99% of downtown Portland hotels are going to charge you for valet parking, so beware and always ask!

All of these hotels provide a great view!

• Written August 25, 2002

• derats profile photo derats
  • Reviews: 97

RADISSON PORTLAND
...

RADISSON PORTLAND

$119.00 -- $149.00 USA

First class hotel, located in the heart of downtown Portland, in the Lloyd Financial District. Newly renovated guest rooms feature upscale corporate decor and include: individual climate control, work area with desk and lamp, coffee/tea maker with complimentary coffee & tea, refrigerator available upon request, electronic door locks, nonsmoking rooms available, remote control color TV with cable and PAY Per View movies, direct dial telephone with modem/data port connection and voice mail, iron, and ironing board, alarm clock radio and hair dryer. Hotel amenities include: complimentary airport shuttle, outdoor heated swimming pool,24 hour fitness center, concierge services, laundry/valet, safety deposit boxes, full business center, gift shop, restaurant, room service, lounge, complimentary parking and meeting facilities. Hotel is 20 minutes from Portland International Airport and only minutes from fine dining, shopping and entertainment.

• Written August 24, 2002
Tip Photo

• steedappeal profile photo steedappeal
  • Reviews: 285

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

HI-Portland Hostel, NW: A basic hostel in a great neighborhood

I have never stayed before in a hostel so it was a surprise when the short lady (spiky hair and glasses) said that my federally-issued U.S. Passport was not sufficient enough identification to stay! She then asked if I had a license and was not amused that people from NYC rarely have drivers' licenses. We then settled on a business card showing my work address and this seemed to work. Short story: bring a drivers' or nondrivers' I.D. to avoid a tense 'welcome".

The working practice is that the hostel discourages area people from using them as cheap accommodation (which I fully understand). There was even a tenser moment at checkout when a young man was asked to leave the lobby (with the police threatened to be called) since he did not seem to have the right I.D. either!!

I booked a single room (I think it was #14?). Very clean and simply furnished. It was located directly above the front door so the only negative was the sound of the door opening and closing when I tried to take a quick nap. Bathroom for the singles was shared but you could lock it for privacy. I would definitely recommend bringing some flip-flops for walking around from your room to the bathroom.

In an excellent neighborhood known as the "Alphabet District"- very attractive looking shops, restaurants, etc..

There is internet service (just bring singles if you use their terminals). Not sure about wireless.

Plenty of useful maps (since my general tips for more about Portland maps) in the Lobby.

Good way to meet people from around the world. There was a fairly mixed age-group, too.

There is a locked luggage room for those needing to store a bag.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Singles, Backpacking
  • Written November 21, 2010

• leafmcgowan profile photo leafmcgowan
  • Reviews: 608

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

IYHA Downtown Portland: IYHA Youth Hostel Downtown Portland

IYHA downtown Portland Hostel
IYHA Downtown Portland Youth Hostel
425 NW 18th Avenue, Portland, OR 97209 * Tel. 1-503-2412783 * Fax. 1-503-5255910 * info@nwportlandhostel.com
Portland's most centrally located hostel within walking distance to city centre, Amtrak/Greyhound, Washington Park (Rose Garden, Japanese Garden, Oregon Zoo), Powell's City of Books, museums, downtown, the Pearl, Chinatown and more. In addition to being centrally located to walk, its only 3 blocks from Portland's famous fareless zone: all buses, trams, and street cars are free in downtown. Deep in the heart of Portland's historic and vibrant Northwest/Nob Hill neighborhood the area is bustling with thriving shops, cafes, brew pubs, theaters, calleries, and nightlife. Its a block away from the Mission Brew Pub theater ($3 movies) and Forest Park the country's largest natural park. They expanded the hostel to two buildings in 2006 - The elliston building which is a 1889 historic landmark that hosts dorms and private rooms equipt with a outside courtyard with BBQ, kitchen, dining room, small coffee bar, common areas, laundry, internet kiosk, free wireless internet, free local phone calls, free lockers and storage, free parking lot and free on-street parking, free pastries, bread, n' bagels, and free pizza every night.Hostel offers 24 hour access. The staff is really friendly and helpful showing areas on the map where to go and what to see with information boards updated daily. They offer van tours to Mt. St. Helen's Volcano, Columbia River Gorge, Cascade Mountains, and the Oregon coast. I found my visit here on 12/19/08, albeit short, was a fantastic time. Thank you! Rating: 5 stars out of 5.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip, Study Abroad
  • Written December 21, 2008

• IncogNeat-0 profile photo IncogNeat-0
  • Reviews: 60
Roses Rooms: Private Lodging

January 2008

It took awhile to track down, but this posting by Ambera 101 last April, seems ideal for the budget minded.

Posted: Fri April 6, 2007 04:38 PM PDT

"I am relocating to portland next month and staying at a private residence bed+breakfast type of lodging for a bit, which is either 33 or 37 a night." - ambera101

• Written January 29, 2008