Marriott Residence Inn Portland Downtown River Place

Booking.com Priceline.com Orbitz.com

More about Marriott Residence Inn Portland Downtown River Place

Awesome breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member midoriyo

Two mommy friends and I decided to go to Portland for a girls' only, kid-free weekend. I read reviews on the breakfast at the Residence Inn and was sold. Besides the donuts, bagels, oatmeal, yogurt, scrambled eggs, sausage, homefries, cereal, and much more that was available daily, they also had a special entree every morning. The first morning was pancakes, then French toast, and then biscuits and gravy. I ate so much that we didn't eat lunch until 2 or 3. I was also impressed that they had some Japanese offerings, including steamed rice, nori, furikake and green tea for ochazuke, and instant miso soup.

We had a suite with a king bed and sofabed for the three of us. The beds were comfortable. We didn't use the full kitchen, but it could really help save money for a family. The vanity area was separate from the bathroom, so one person could take a shower while the others got ready. The free wifi was nice, and there was ample closet space.

Although the hotel is right next to the freeway, we didn't hear any freeway noise. It is also located right behind a streetcar stop, which takes you to downtown for free. We used it to go to the museum and to hang out downtown, then took a cab at night. The cabs came quickly once they were called. I kept the numbers handy. It cost about $10 with tip for a cab from downtown to the hotel, but we could've been generous. Can't remember exactly what the fare was... ;)

We got in late the first night. There's no brewery within walking distance to the hotel, I guess, since the front desk directed us to McCormick & Schmick's. The food was excellent, and so was the Full Sail cask IPA. It's a nice walk along the river from the hotel with shops and restaurants.

Very Nice!

by TripAdvisor Member RRSAMIC

I stayed for 4 nights visiting family in Portland. The Residence Inn is very nice! It is very new, neat, and clean.

It is situated in a very nice corner of the city,and with the Streetcar right outside the front door, it is very easy to get anywhere in Portland for free, which is amazing. The streetcar is also very clean and smooth and comes frequently. I even took it home late at night once and felt totally safe as it goes through a nice PSU neighborhood and drops you off right outside the hotel.

You can walk right out to the Riverfront and walk or bike along the river, which is really nice. One can also cross some of the bridges and walk or bike along the other side of the river and cross back over. So, you can get some great views of Portland. There's a bike rental shop right there in the Riverplace, should you need it. It is also very wheelchair accessible.

The hotel is indeed near the highway, but I never heard it at night.

The breakfast is included, and is very well rounded and changes daily as well. It is very good....and 3 newspapers to choose from!

A simply wonderful and perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member TimeToGoxx

Simply wonderful hotel!

My daughters and I spent 5 nights at the Residence Inn Rivefront in July. Our stay was fantastic! There are so many positive things to say. First and very important, the hotel staff was outstanding - always helpful, always went the extra mile to help us, they really provide top notch service. We didn't take advantage of their service that provides grocery shopping (no fee for the service!).

The location is unbeatable. You walk out the front door to the free Portland trolley car, the walkway along the river front, pretty surroundings, restaurants, etc. Shopping is walking distance or an easy trolley ride.

The hotel provides free shuttle service within a 5-mile radius – just make a reservation and they’ll take you there. They ask for 4 hour advance notice, but my experience was that I could get a shuttle ride within the hour, frequently, when the hotel was fully booked. The driver was a wealth of information about Portland. I loved not having to nagivate driving downtown Portland just to go on local outings, so we used the shuttle on a daily basis. It was a big bonus to have this free service.

The breakfast is huge and complete – eggs, meats, rice and miso, fruits, cereals, breads juices, etc. There are many restaurants close by, and a Safeway nearby, so it isn’t a hassle to take care of keeping everyone well fed and ready for fun.

The pool and jacuzzi are very nice and stay open until 10 or 11 pm, which is very nice when you come home late after a busy day out. We never heard any noise in our room - no freeway noise, no noise from other rooms. Great beds, it was hard to get up in the morning. Rooms all have nice kitchenettes.

I am very very picky about hotels, and I was delighted to have my hopes and expectations wildly exceeded – this doesn’t happen often, unless it is staying at a 5 star hotel (which also doesn’t happen often). It was so wonderful, I am compelled to write an online review for the first time ever for anything! I was lucky to have Marriott points for 2 nights of the stay, then paid the rest. You get a good value for the money here.

Portland is a great place to visit. We loved the Columbia River Gorge. We went to several of the beautiful waterfalls along the road. This scenery and landscape is spectacular; a highly recommended outing. The Oregon Museum of Science was fun for the kids, but two of us were sick after eating their chicken for lunch, so beware. No reply back from the museum after I left them a detailed message reporting the problem – this was disconcerting. The Rose Garden is a lovely place for a morning or afternoon. Powell’s bookstore is fantastic. I found perfect condition and inexpensive used books I needed. You can spend a lot of time at Powells books. There is lots of shopping and if you want to drive an hour or two, there is so much to do here. And it was very safe and clean. I felt comfortable as a single mom with 2 young daughters. We loved Portland and we loved the Riverfront Marriott! We’ll be back.

Great hotel, wonderful location

by TripAdvisor Member Sabrinatraveler

When I first saw the location of this hotel, my heart fell, because it was practically under this huge freeway bridge. I thought it would be the worst location-- but I was wrong. The soundproofing was perfect, so we never heard the freeway noise, and the hotel was along the Riverfront, a scenic and very short walk into the downtown area, along a parkway lined with fountains and pretty landscaping. Good restaurants were just steps away, too.

The hotel itself was newly built and very nice, quite elegant for a Residence Inn. We usually dislike indoor pools, but this one was really nice, spacious and attractive, and without that dank, funny smell that indoor pools often have. The staff were friendly and very helpful. Our unit was really spacious and included the usual complete kitchen. Breakfast was great, as always at Residence Inns. We have never been disappointed at a Residence Inn, but this was one of our favorites.

So glad I stayed here!

by TripAdvisor Member moose19

We were only in Portland overnight which was definitely not enough, but we really enjoyed this hotel and wished we could have stayed longer. As previous reviewers have said, the staff was so nice and the location is very good, right next to the free trolley and on the river walk. We just walked from the hotel to everywhere we wanted to go in the city, it really wasn't that far. The room was clean and quiet (our room was right on top of the freeway bridge and we couldn't hear anything), and the breakfast was quite elaborate, much better than your usual free hotel breakfast.

As for Portland, the rose garden is SO NICE! Wow. And Powell's Books is a must, too. We also lucked out and were there for the Saturday market, definitely go if you're there on a weekend.

Definitely Returning to RiverPlace again!

by TripAdvisor Member sjd614

This was my first experience with a Residence Inn and it was just wonderful! I stayed there for five nights for a convention. My colleagues that stayed in the convention hotel were jealous when they found out how great my hotel was!

Rooms: The room was very spacious and well maintained. The fully stocked kitchen was great, as were the two tvs and the comfortable pillows.

Service: The service definitely exceeded my expectations--from the cleaning woman to the breakfast staff to the front desk. Everyone went out of their way to assist me and the front desk said hello to every guest as they walked in.

Breakfast: The breakfasts every morning were excellent--there were so many different things to choose from with fresh fruit, granola, cereals, bagels, breads, in addition to eggs, sausage, french toast or pancakes, etc. I was stuffed every day!

Location: I don't think you can ask for more, especially with the street car practically at your door. There are so many restaurants to visit in just a few block radius. And they have amazing happy hours with food starting at $1.95! I recommend Cyrpress and the Marina Fish House highly.

Nice Hotel, no suprises

by TripAdvisor Member vincenzopwd

We picked this hotel due to positive trip advisor feedback and it was all correct. This is a very nice hotel. Odd location (near nothing in walking distance) but easy to get on the highway and very easy to pick up the light rail. The lobby is very nice. The parking is way overpriced ($20) but there is not much choice so be warned. The rooms were large, clean, neat and useful. It is nice to have a real suite with a full size fridge and seperate bedroom. Typical free hotel breakfast but a little nicer then most, cleaner, more organized, more choices.

"A Year at the Residence Inn"

by TripAdvisor Member DiveInHeels

I must say, I am rolling up my sleeves. My husband and I just finished spending an entire year (Aug. 2006-Aug.2007) at the Residence Inn in Portland. Therefore, I feel confidently qualified to write this review!
Let me start by saying that there are an overwhelming number of hotels in Portland. I am sure the boutique hotels are very tempting, as they were to us. I LOVE boutique hotels. We stayed at a few when we first arrived in Portland. What frustruated us, and eventually led us to Residence Inn, was the inconsistency of the rooms within the same hotel. There were some beautiful rooms, along with old, small, musky ones. If you go in this direction, best of luck and ask a lot of questions.
The Residence Inn is in a perfect location. Directly at the end of the Riverwalk on the river, in front of a trolley stop, and a 15-20 minute stoll to the heart of downtown. Perfect for walking off an amazing meal. Rooms are very large and have everything you could need. Don't be scared off by the "kitchenette" as it is modern and extremely clean. The bed is very comfortable, although the pull out sofa not so much. I recommend the studio style room as the separate bedroom style room feels closed off. Ask for a room with a view of the river, if possible. The housekeeping staff is very good, front desk staff extremely helpful, and the hotel seems very well maintained by a truly caring staff. Breakfast has something for everyone, but is often very crowded. Fitness center has a new eliptical and two treadmills, as well as an "all in one" type weight station. You can go to the Riverplace Athletic Club around the corner for a $10/day guest fee....This gym is not well maintained, but close to the hotel, and they just got a bunch of new equipment. There is a snack shop in the hotel lobby and complimentary computer use (20 minute limit). This one computer is in constant use by guests, so do not rely on having unlimited use via the lobby computer. This hotel, while lacking charm, is dependable, clean, and convienient. I highly recommend it for the price. Save your big bucks for all of Portland's amazing restaurants.
On that note, we dined out every night for a year, and had some truly fabulous meals. Our restaurant recommendations are: Veritable Quandry (#1 hands down), Southpark Seafood Grill & Wine Bar, Paley's Place, Jakes Crawfish Grill...very popular adult happy hour spot, Silk (Asian fusion), Wildwood. Go to happy hour at Portland City Grill on the 30th floor of the US Bancorp tower for an awesome panoramic view of the city and a great time; try one of the 100 beers on tap at Henry's Tavern; and definately do not miss a trip to the chocolate bar Cacao with an astounding variety of chocolate from around the world.
Don't even get me started on all of the great shopping, outdoor activites, and festivals.
Hope this lengthy review is helpful.

Great location, nice rooms, just beware the hordes of kids and families

by TripAdvisor Member DougCG

Nice hotel with a GREAT location (right on the streetcar line). Big rooms with nice amenities. A little too "family-friendly" for my tastes (e.g., pool was filled with toys), but that obviously would appeal to others. Buffet breakfasts definitely favored quantity over quality- tons to choose from, none of it particularly good. Overall, a nice place to stay for those who want a convenient base to explore Portland.

Great Family Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Spamstan

Stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn on a guys road trip - 5 boys between 1st and 5th grade and 2 dads. This place is a great family hotel. It's clean, good space, nice location, free breakfast, and a great pool.

Starting with the space, we were able to comfortably sleep the 7 of us in one suite. 2 bedrooms (1 king, 1 queen), a full size pull out, and a twin roll away. We didn't make use of the kitchen, but it was well appointed. And we learned the hotel would do your grocery shopping.

Location is good. RiverPlace is really nice - Portland's investment in the riverfront was well worth it. The hotel is right on the streetcar line. There are great walking/running/cycling trails right out the door. Only downside is few restaurants within walking distance, but it's a quick streetcar ride or drive into the city center. The hotel is also right across the river from OMSI, a must see for families.

Free breakfast every morning. And not just continental, but the full meal deal so to speak. Food quality is good enough. Coffee all day.

Perhaps the highlight for the kids was the pool. It's great - plenty big enough, some swim toys, extra towels. Decent hot tub to boot. We spent as much time there as we did in our room.

I classified the hotel as no frills - it's not luxury at all. But it's perfect for a family weekend away.

Comments