Park Lane Suites

Park Lane Suites & Inn
Travelocity Expedia.com Orbitz.com

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

Nice Motel and Inn

This is a nice inn and motel, with two separate buildings. It is very well-run, clean, well-maintained, with interesting decor and design. It has great views over the city and it is in a great location, just a few blocks west of downtown, and a short walk from the Nob Hill area, full of restaurants and places to eat. It also has good access to and from the freeways. The people are friendly and helpful, the rooms nicely cleaned and attractive.

Unique Quality: It has great location, views, access, etc., as described above. It also has parking right there.

Directions: It is just west of downtown, on the west side of I-405, the north-south freeway the runs to to west of downtown. It is just south of the Nob Hill area and W Burnside, the big east-west street.

• Rixie's Profile Photo

All the Comforts of Home

Park Lane Suites looks as if it's a converted 1950s apartment building. There's a conventional lobby and elevator but open walkways outside the rooms. I got a bargain $90 rate through hotels.com -- the price below is per person, double occupancy.

The suites are actually small apartments -- not luxurious (it actually reminded me of a 1950s apartment), but clean and comfortable. The well-equipped kitchen has a stove, dishwasher, fridge and a table for two, as well as a supply of coffee and sugar. The living room includes a TV and writing desk, with Internet access. It would be especially good for an extended stay.

My only criticism was very minor: the opaque drapes in the living room don't close. The center section of the front window is covered by a transparent curtain, but I prefer a greater degree of privacy.

The walls are thin, but that didn't bother me. I kind of liked hearing the children next door singing in the bathtub. :)

Pluses:
    * The room rate includes a simple Continental breakfast -- bagels, coffee, fresh whole fruit, and juice -- which is served in the lobby. Snack cookies are put out on the front desk in the evening.

*It's in a good location, away from the downtown hustle and bustle, but close to the bus stop on West Burnside and within walking distance of Washington Park and the great shops and restaurants on NW 23rd Avenue.

*The front desk staff (moonlighting college students, perhaps?) demonstrated a level of professionalism and helpfulness that was noteworthy. When my evening flight to Portland was delayed for hours, I spoke to one young man on the phone twice. He was very reassuring; he said that someone would still be on duty, even if I arrived in the middle of the night, and that if my flight were to be cancelled, I would be reimbursed for the first night. Another front desk clerk checked me in online for my return flight and printed my boarding pass, promptly and cheerfully. No problemo!

If you're used to the Ritz Carlton, this is not the place for you. But if you're like me and are seeking a pleasant home away from home, you'll like Park Lane Suites. I would definitely stay there again.

Directions: A block off W. Burnside Avenue, near Jim Fischer Volvo (look for the big Volvo sign)

More about Park Lane Suites

Nice neighborhood!

by TripAdvisor Member escapefromsocal

We spent 4 nights at the Park Lane Suites and it worked great for us. The kitchenette had everything we needed, from a decent sized fridge to silverware, cookware, plates, and a small dishwasher. The staff was very helpful and the map they provided was one of the best we found in getting around downtown. Our room was on the 4th floor with a view of Mt. St. Helens from our living area, and it remained very quiet except for trash day. The PGE stop of the MAX line was within walking distance, as was a supermarket, and lots of shops and restaurants on 23rd. It also had FREE parking (a plus in Portland). We never had a problem finding a space but there is also parking across the street at a sister hotel. It's a very comfortable little place in a nice neighborhood and we would stay there again. As it is obviously a remodeled motel, it may not be sufficient for those used to staying at the Marriot but it had everything we needed and at a great price.

Good location, mostly helpful staff, clean, quiet

by TripAdvisor Member azogal

I spent 3 nights at the Park Lane Suites in October of 2006. The first 2 nights were spent in a One-bedroom suite and the last night was in a 2-bedroom suite.

My experience was similar to those mentioned in other reviews.

Quiet: After having read about noise, I requested a room on a higher floor and was given a room on the 5th floor which was very quiet. The only noise that I heard was the kitchen chairs being dragged across the floor in the room above mine.

The high speed internet connection was nice, but bring your own ethernet cable. They did have some at the front desk, but most had broken prongs.

The breakfast was nice and they had cookies, coffee, tea, chai, and hot cider in the lobby all day long. The room was clean except for some hair on the shower walls and the carpet could probably be replaced.

Location: The location was an easy walking distance to NW 21st and 23rd, Washington Park with the Japanese Garden and the Rose Garden and PGE Stadium. Very quiet neighborhood. However, I had used mapquest to get directions to the hotel and it was not accurate. Lots of streets dead-end at the Stadium which mapquest does not seem to know. So, get driving directions from the hotel itself.

Kitchen: The kitchen was nice and well-supplied.

View: The view from room 501 (end unit) of the city at night was great.

Parking: The first night I did have to park at the sister hotel across the street, but that wasn't a problem. The parking lot is better suited to small cars.

Staff: In general, the staff was friendly and helpful. And were helpful with suggestions for food and activities and directions. We had one small problem. My friend arrived later in the stay and United had lost her luggage so they were going to deliver the bag to the hotel later in the day. The reservation was in my name, but we notified the front desk that the bag was arriving and we gave them my friend's name. This info must not have been passed along because another person almost refused the bag.

Heating: While the only AC is in the living room, there are small auxiliary heaters in the bedrooms.

I would stay here again for the location, the space, the friendliness/helpfulness of the staff, and the price.

Parklane was a great value.

by TripAdvisor Member rnick821

Really enjoyed our stay. Some highlights:

1. The staff was very friendly. We arrived at 11am, but checkin was not until 3pm. They offered to let us park in their parking lot so we could take the transit somewhere for lunch, and also offered to hold our bags for us. That was very nice.

2. There were always cookies, coffee, tea, chai, hot cocoa, etc. availble in the lobby. Nice touch.

3. The room was very clean.

4. Although it looks kinda shady from the outside, the inside was completely re-done and beautiful.

5. Location...location...location. Great area to be in.

Couple MINOR issues...

1. The bathroom was TINY. There was maybe 2 inches of clearance between the door and the toilet. Not a major problem, but just something to think about. The spaciousness of the rest of the suite more than made up for it.

2. Getting back to the hotel late at night puts parking at a premium. We managed to find a spot across the street at their other property...again, not a big deal, but just something to keep in mind. If you go out late, better take the bus as there may not be a spot for you to park, and all the parking in the area on the street is limited in times available.

Overall, great stay. If the management of the hotel reads this, thanks for everything! We had a great time.

Overrated

by TripAdvisor Member CaliforniaPlanner

We stayed in this hotel for 1 night in late July, 2006. It has an excellent location, which was largely why we chose it--off Burnside very close to Washington Park and 23rd Street. The staff members were very nice and helpful, suggesting places to eat, etc. But the accommodations themselves aren't for everyone. Our room was basically a small, old, 1-bedroom apartment. The bathroom was nice but very cramped--someone overweight literally might not fit in because there is so little clearance between the bathroom door and the small toilet. There was an air conditioner in the living room area, which had a sofabed, but it blew too hard on the sofabed and couldn't be adjusted--plus, none of that cool air made it into the bedroom, which got hot and stifling. The kitchen area was useful, and the hotel offers seemingly unlimited Pepperidge Farm cookies, which was a nice touch. The yogurts and coffee at breakfast were good, too. Parking was a pain--the hotel itself has a very small lot, so if you're not lucky enough to get one of the spaces, you have to drive across the street to a grungier hotel's lot (if there are even spaces there) or park on the street, which can be a trek. There were nice views from the outdoor corridors on the higher floors. There's a tiny elevator that you may have to wait a while for. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this place unless you love the location--it's just too much like an older, not well thought-out apartment with problematic parking.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member Wine_Venture

We stayed for 6 nights and we would definitely stay here again. The location was a huge plus and made up for any downsides.

I'll clarify one thing: The parking lot is tight. Guess what? Parking in Portland is tight, everywhere. Even the street lanes are narrower than they are here in Ohio but it sure isn't the fault of the hotel. There's an additional parking lot just across the street and parking was not a problem.

The staff was very helpful -- we were allowed to check in 3 hours early with no complaints and both people at the desk were very social and engaging. Over the week, we requested an extra pillow, an ethernet cable, and additional toiletries and each time they were quick and courteous.

Best things:
* The neighborhood. We walked or drove across Burnside to 21st and 23rd every day for eating and shopping. Burnside is a major and easy to find street, so getting to and from the hotel was not hard. Up hill from the hotel are beautiful huge homes and the parks and gardens are just beyond.

* The suite. Now, this is not a fancy room, but it certainly was nice to have an extra room with TV to spread out in at this price point.

* Free parking, free internet.

Worst thing:
* The bedding. We're spoiled by high thread-count sheets at home and these were definitely not. Just okay. And the pillows were very flat.

Mixed Opinion

by TripAdvisor Member wyoming-tourist

My experience was a combination of Sept 28th and Sept 19th, 2006 commentaries. We were NOT allowed to check in early. We arrived at 2:00 pm and were told they did NOT allow early check-in's. We came back at 3:10 and had to wait another 20 minutes.

The parking spaces are so limited, perhaps 20 for the entire hotel. So my advise, get there early, take a walk and come back later to check in.

The neighborhood is very nice and we felt very safe while walking around. We walked to Washington Park, 4-block walk, and it is gorgeous. What a beautiful monument to Portland, Oregon. Also, the 21st and the 23rd street stores are very interesting and there are a great selection of restaurants. Ringside Steakhouse is just down a block and across the street.

Our room was an old, small one-bedroom apartment and they have tried to re-vamp them with nice vases, wall prints and decor but the carpet should be replaced. The cleaning people had left the garbage can full from the previous guests. The worst part was the bed. We asked for a queen and this had to be a double bed if it was an inch. The bed was horrible to sleep on and the pillows were flat. Then having the toilet 3 feet from your head while you are sleeping was a real treat too. One more thing, unless you have a wet and wild hair doo, bring your own blow dryer. This room did NOT have one.

Breakfast was coffee, bagel, fruit and yogart.

The rooms do have free high speed Internet and there were two TV's - that was a nice touch. The rooms are clean.

So stay here for price and location, not for fancy rooms or extra's.

Second time here! We love it!

by TripAdvisor Member magwum

My husband and I just returned from our second stay at the Park Lane. We could not be happier!

Great location! Nice neighborhood - perfect for stolling. Lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance. MAX line a short walk (10 minutes or so) - no problem with our wheeled carryon luggage although note that the inn is on a steep hill! From the airport just take the Red Line MAX to the PGE stop. So easy!

Comfortable and clean. It is nothing fancy, but is not a dive either. The bathrooms are small, as are the beds (we were in a one bedroom suite) but the kitchenette and small living room area more than make up for it. We did not feel cramped at all. Everything was clean.

Great value! Free breakfast: yogurt, bagels, coffee, teas, cocoa, fresh fruit. Very pleasant lobby to enjoy it in.

Bottom line: if you do not expect the Hitlon, but also want to stay someplace nice and not pay too much, then this is your place! We will be back!

Nice place, great location, but ask for a room AWAY from the elevators!

by TripAdvisor Member kbp619

The rooms are spacious and clean, but you need to make sure you're not staying near the elevator. Otherwise, good luck sleeping through the night (the stairwell is right next to it as well, and you'll hear that door slam too).

Other than that, this is a great place. Staff is very friendly and prompt, despite complaints I've read by other reviewers, I had zero problems. Staff never gave an attitude, and we dealt with no less than 5 or 6 different people, so perhaps those reviewers had an attitude of their own.

The rooms were like apartments, complete with kitchenettes, dishes, pots, pans, utensils, cups, saucers, and everything else.

Various coffees, teas, and other hot beverages also a nice touch along with the never-ending cookies in the lobby.

At rates starting at under $100 a night, it's probably the best deal in and around downtown Portland, within walking distance to Nob Hill and Washington Park, as well as the Max line.

Comments