Portland's White House

1914 NE 22nd, Portland, Oregon, 97212, United States

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Be Treated Like Family

If you’re looking for a bed and breakfast in Portland a little off the beaten path look no further than Portland’s White House. This historical mansion located in the North East Historic Irvington District has been beautifully restored by it’s owners, Lanning and Steve. The B&B’s exterior resembles the White House in Washington DC and inside the eight guest rooms are beautifully appointed with luxurious linens and antiques. Lanning and his staff make every guest feel like part of the family during your stay. The delicious breakfast served in the dining room is not to be missed. It’s also a good time to meet your fellow travelers and exchange stories and highlights of your trip to Portland. It’s over the communal breakfast that we discovered the amazing drive up the Old Columbia River Gorge Highway… something we might have missed otherwise. I highly recommend a stay at Portland’s White House on your visit. It’s unique style, family atmosphere and informed, friendly staff make it a pleasant alternative to the formal, anonymous living found at most chain hotels.

Unique Quality: Lanning, the proprietor is excellent, charming and knowledgeable. The full breakfast was outstanding! And the beds are extremely comfortable.

More about Portland's White House

Excellence with personality

My partner and I travel extensively to many destinations, but rarely find the place that leaves us desiring more. As Alaskan residents it's my commonplace to be surrounded by magnificent and majestic beauty so that makes leaving upon us an impressive memory a bit more difficult to do. We however, stumbled upon this B&B with plans to stay but one night. However, we've now requested to extend our stay throughout the rest of our time in Portland. Let it be known that the hosts are people that you desire to know, the place you wish you owned, and the comfort and ambiance beyond what any Grande Hotel can offer. We'll be back without a doubt, but will thoroughly enjoy the rest of our stay most certainly. Cristy and Sarah

Next Gen B&B Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Lynnnn

Came to Portland for a week-long training course and chose the White House largely based on the positive remarks of past guests @ tripadvisor. Am happy to say that the gents didn't disappoint! Had a great stay in the cozy Blarney room.

Really enjoyed the boutique hotel feel with personalized service. Breakfast every morning was a treat...leaps and bounds beyond the McBreakfast my classmates disclosed over the course of the week. The location is a few blocks off eclectic Broadway Ave. Enjoyed evening walks, a variety of restaurants and chilling in more than one sidewalk cafe.

No significant downsides to report. Highly recommend staying with these fine gents!

Perfection

by TripAdvisor Member Ptuey

We got married at the Portland's White House yesterday and I am so happy about the entire experience there that I had to come here and rave about it right away.

We booked the entire bed and breakfast (9 rooms) for friday and saturday night for ourselves and our families and I have to say that from the moment we entered to the moment we left, everyone felt welcomed, pampered, and spoiled.

Steve and Lanning are the owners are not only fun and lively people, they were ever quick and ready to fulfill any requests we had, from a last minute need for an extra table to a bowl of blueberries especially for our niece.

Each member our families came up to us to rave about how beautiful their rooms were. Each one is unique and one can tell how lovingly they were decorated. My sister-in-law dragged me into her room to admire the jaccuzi in her room. My niece writhed around on her bed to demonstrate how comfortable it was. And I was tickled by the two headed shower in my room. Of course, there were delicious cookies and moonstruck chocolates to greet each guest in every room.

The ceremony took place on Saturday afternoon with a reception to follow (catered by Lanning). Seventy guests attended, which I think was a perfect amount. The day went off without a hitch, largely because of Lanning's cool head and expertise (20 years he's been doing this!).

Lanning was superb at personalizing this special event in our lives, and it shone through in everything he took care of, especially the food. We discussed the breakfast menu for each morning based on our guests' likes and needs. They were so pleased with how delicious it was. I liked the fact that we could provide a different (but equally superb) fare each day. The food for the wedding reception was excellent as well. Many reception attendees commented on how well it typified fresh and original northwest cuisine.

Clearly, I could spend many more pages listing the many reasons this place was perfect. In short, I can say that after spending 2 days there, I can't think of a single glitch but I have countless fond memories.

You want to stay here

by TripAdvisor Member jromo1124

Portland's White House is tucked into a historic neighborhood in the Irvington section of Portland. Approaching it from the street is almost startling as it takes its name from the house in Washington it resembles. The pillars are impressive! The fountain is welcoming (I got a beautiful photo of what appears to be the resident crow drinking in the fountain in front of the circular drive)! Our first meeting was with the manager, Caleb. Helpful, thoughtful and knowledgeable about the neighborhood and the city, he steered us to the only open lunch spot in the area (it was 3:00 in the afternoon) which was reasonable and delicious. Maps were forthcoming, suggestions as to how to get places, where to park, he was very professional in showing off his adopted city.
The owners, Lanning and Steve, are also friendly, knowledgeable and resourceful. They got us a reservation in a very busy restaurant a few blocks away during an arts festival on that street. A delightful place called Bernie's which featured a Cajun meat loaf(?) that was terrific.
The entrance hall, living room and dining room are the first things you see upon entering the White House. All stunningly appointed and tastefully decorated, the antiques and preserved parts of this house, built in 1911, all add to the comfortable feeling this establishment affords.
We only saw the room in which we stayed, but it is beautiful. Breakfast consisted of exquisite waffles, fabulous fresh, local fruit, outstanding coffee and an atmosphere which encouraged the guests, all new to each other, to interact and get to know each other. Truly a welcoming place and one to which I will return often as I get ready to retire to Portland.

Portland's White House wrote the book on the art of BnB

by TripAdvisor Member Notam

We have stayed at numerous Bed and Breakfasts and/or Inns throughout the world and conclude Portland's White House exceeds most of our experiences to date in offering attentive yet friendly service in a historic building situated in an established neighbourhood, sumptious breakfasts by candlelight and luxurious amenities .
Lanning did everything he could to accommodate our last minute booking and when we arrived, we were offered The Garden Room, featuring a gorgeous balcony and of course Lanning's terrific homemade cookies and exquisite chocolate truffles. The ample supply of quality embroidered towels and Molton Brown amenities underscored that we made a good choice in selecting Portland's White House. Fused with the period and appointed bedroom furnishings and without taking away anything from the suite theme were contemporary fixtures like the flat screen TV.
Lanning operates Portland's White House with the enthusiasm and energy of a new inkeeper; we were surprised when glancing over the The Garden Room guest book the many "Thanks, Lanning!" notes from 1997.
When we arrived, Lanning welcomed us as if we were old friends, chatting with us with a sense of familiarity rarely acheived in today's travel ventures. As an example, Lanning carefully showed us the features of the suite and hints on keeping it cool during Portland's unusual +100F temperatures. When he directed our attention to the gorgeous canopy queen bed featuring embroidered bathrobes, plump pillows and superior canopy treatment, he affectionately referred to it as "The girly bed". Every wish and request we had was accommodated. Staff turnover is low and the service level is consistent with all the employees (there are about 10). Restaurants and bohemian boutiques were all within walking distance from Portland's White House. Valet service is complimentary and keys must be left at entry. Security of the property and the guests is upheld with the highest regard.
We have learned weekends book quickly (I surmise that the property lends itself perfectly to Weddings) and Lanning typically vacations in October, so book accordingly.

Absolutely elegant.

by TripAdvisor Member Jim+Susan

My husband and I just returned for an Oregon vacation that included a night at Portland's White House, [--]. What a treat! This restored Victorian home is just beautiful. It is also meticulously maintained. (I'm extraordinarily picky.) Everything was spotless. Each room has a lux private bath. Beddings and linens are top quality. Plus, it's quiet and private. You don't hear people in the adjoining rooms. Breakfast was delicious. Hosts were lovely. We loved it. The owner's the Black Walnut Inn in Dundee (Willamette Wine Valley) recommended Portland's White House. We went onto stay at the Black Walnut Inn and were equally dazzled. Both are fabulous b&bs.

There's no where else to stay.

by TripAdvisor Member Jetset_liam

Portland's White House was the best Inn/B&B stay I have ever had. As Young travelers it is hard to be taken seriously by inn keepers, or by hotels. The Staff of The White house were remarkable people and ever so friendly. Arriving Late was of no inconvinience to the Inn, our key was simply left on the foyer table as we entered the amazingly lit home, to be greeted by a Terrier that was nothing but Well behaved for our late night arrival. Climbing the staircase to our room we found what could only be described as the most amazing cookies we have ever tasted! If you are ever in portland stay in this wonderful place, if for no reason other than the cookies, it's worth it.

The Best . . . Ever!!

by TripAdvisor Member GeeBob

Look up "HOSPITALITY" in Webster's and find Lanning's photo with his staff, in front of this fantastic facility. There isn't ANYTHING that they could have done any better. Unfortunately, for the rest of the Northwest hotel industry we stayed here first. That resulted in a let down EVERYWHERE else. It just doesn't get any better than this!!

Can't Wait to Return!

by TripAdvisor Member Jaber

I loved staying here and look forward to returning. My bed (Carolina Room) was to die for! The home made cookies in the room were delicious and the breakfast a gourmet feast. Sadly I was only there one night and so did not have time to spend on the lovely patio or sitting in the antique filled living room. I enjoyed the owner and would return just to see him--what fun! He recomended a restaurant for dinner and even made the reservations. I wanted to stay longer and become a part of this family.
--Jane