Shilo Inn Portland Airport

Shilo Inn Suites - Portland Airport
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

More about Portland

"Going home, feeling cheated...""Going home, feeling cheated..."

Entrance to the scholar's studio, or "xuan"Entrance to the scholar's studio, or "xuan"

Voodoo Doughnut in Portland, ORVoodoo Doughnut in Portland, OR

Lost Bird Project visits PortlandLost Bird Project visits Portland

Vegan Restaurant?

by mike116

We are coming in next week for my wife's birthday and wanted to know if anyone knows of a nice vegan restaurant near the Paramount Hotel? I know there are lots of vegan places, just wanted to no if someone could suggest a nice place to go for a birthday dinner.

Re: Vegan Restaurant?

by glabah

Actually, Portland doens't have that many vegan places. There are a few, but a lot fewer than the reputation of Portland outside Portland indicates. There are a lot more if you include the restaurants that offer one or two vegetarian or vegan dishes.

However, be that as it may, there are a few vegan restaurants in that part of town. There was a newspaper article about a few new vegetarian, vegan, and other restaurants that have opened for this school year near Portland State University, but unfortunately I have not been to any of those, nor to I remember the names of any of the ones mentioned in the article.

Try searching for "vegan Portland State University" and variations of that and see what you can come up with.

The Willamette Week newspaper also operates a "food finder" on their web site that may be helpful too.

Travel Tips for Portland

the perfect state of mind for wandering

by richiecdisc

A couple of loaves of bread was what I was returning for on my way out of town. That's right. I was going to a brewery for bread. Not that their beer had lost its luster for me but at some point, you just have to move on no matter how comfortable you have become. On each of the previous two mornings we laid in bed and said we gotta get out of this place but we were having such a nice and relaxed time it was the last thing we wanted to do.

With no majestic peak calling for an early photo shoot, our mornings were slow. We would stumble down to Stumptown Coffee and have our caffeine fix. We would then wander around town with no agenda, just enjoying the architecture and generally not have much of an idea what we were admiring. We had lunch on the fly, stopping at places that caught our eye with no research as to what we should have. By mid-afternoon, we always found ourselves in the Pearl District and at the doorstep of Deschutes Brewery to be more precise. It may have been a pricey place to eat but for a snack and beer, it had become a place we could not refuse. Their cask-conditioned Mirror Mirror barley-wine put us in the perfect state of mind to pretty much waste the rest of the day doing just what we had been. Wandering. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

NW 23rd Avenue.

by giampiero6

Check Out NW 23rd Avenue. This is a street of restaurants and boutiques and stuff. I like it cause you can stroll from restaurant to restaurant and have a drink or a bite. They're all in that one area. It's pretty lively on most nights and days.

Bring jacket with a hood and forget the umbrella!

by TrvlnGrrl

I once was walking home from grocery shopping downtown, one beautifuly rainy day. A man passed by me on the street and said..."you must've born and raised in oregon" as he glanced down at my umbrella handle sticking out of my purse and then at my raindrop covered face. It took me a second to realize what he was talking about, I just smiled and said "how'd ya guess?" I had forgot that darn thing was still taking up space in my purse. (and idea from my thoughtful, yet, melt in rain california then boyfriend now husband) Anyway just use a hood, unless you are dressed up for a special occasion then umbrellas are ok. Joking..use one if you want, we won't make fun too much.

Decorating Public Statues

by glabah

There are various statues in the city of Portland. Sometimes, these get decorated - sometimes officially, and sometimes unofficially.

This should be destinguished from "vandalism" or other permanent damage. Instead. these "decorations" or "additions" are strictly temporary and can be removed by anyone else, should they want to.

Perhaps the oldest such tradition in the City of Portland is the decoration of the "David P. Thompson Memorial Fountain" (also called the "Elk Fountain" and originally titled "Plaza Fountain" before becoming a memorial fountain) located between SW 3rd and SW 4th Avenues in the middle of Main Street. During the Christmas season, the elk at the center of this fountain is decorated with a Christmas wreath around its neck.

Sometimes, the decorations may have more of a political statement. For example, the statue of Vera Katz, pictured here as I found her on June 16, 2007, seems to imply that Vera's civil projects had a negative effect on certain people's financial conditions.

The 24 Hour Church of Elvis

by Jefie

When it comes to being weird and proud of it, Portland gives Austin (TX) a good run for its money! One of the weirdest things I got to see on this first trip was the 24 Hour Church of Elvis. Dating back to 1985, this store front gallery of "art for the smart" was created by local artist Stephanie Pierce. It is believed to be the world's first coin-operated piece of art - for a quarter, you can get your fortune told by a slightly scary machine, and you can even get "temporarily" married. And if your friends don't believe you, you can always send them the link to the 24 hour Church of Elvis website, which is just as weird and confusing as the art it promotes. This unusual art gallery has changed locations a few times since its creation and it can now be seen at 408 NW Couch St, in Portland's Chinatown.

Comments