1001 SW Broadway @ Salmon, Portland, Oregon, 97205, United States

Travelocity Expedia.com Hotels.com

• orcoastgirl's Profile Photo

Historic Hotel in a Great Location

We had the Symphony Suite which was very nicely appointed. The beds were wonderful and the lobby of the hotel is just gorgeous. There is also a Mezzanine level where you can check out books. The hotel has a fantastic restaurant where we enjoyed dinner and Sunday brunch the next morning.

Unique Quality: Great location, gorgeous ambiance, comfortable beds, friendly staff.

• VdV's Profile Photo

Stately, classic

It's been several years (1999) since I stayed at The Heathman, but I do remember it to be a very, classic, elegant hotel.

The bar/restaurant was also quite good.

A historical building--interesting details. Great location on Broadway.

Unique Quality: If you like stately, elegant, antique type hotel environs, The Heathman is for you. Service was good; rooms were elegantly appointed.

Although I haven't stayed there in awhile, a few colleagues are regulars there.

Location is good, too.

• Shaft28's Profile Photo

Hottest Deal in Summer

Very nice, very high end hotel. Great restraunt and bar, a local favorite.
    Best part about the Heathman is during the Summer they have summer rates. I believe during July the doorman makes an announcement in the afternoon that rooms rates are set at the days temperature high.
    So a room that normally goes for $170-210 is not at $90! (Never gets that hot here).

Unique Quality: Great boutique hotel - took my wife here for our 3rd anniversary and had an awesome time. The whole staff knew were were celebrating our day, treated us super. The room was absolutely fanatastic and we had so much fun we decided to skip our reservations and eat there for dinner and again for breakfast - both were outstanding in food and service.
    The bar is also a great spot to hang out in.
    We love it here even if it is only 5 miles from our house!

Directions: Downtown - city center

More about The Heathman Hotel

by DM_PDX about The Heathman Hotel

One of the classic hotels of Portland. It's a bit spendy, but for exceptional service and a great location it can't be beat.

Heathman Our Favorite

We just returned from a 2-week trip to the Pacific NorthWest - covering much ground in Washington & Oregon - staying in great and unique places. The Heathman Hotel was undoubtedly our favorite. Our room was beautiful & appropriately artsy for a boutique hotel (not huge, but very comfy), very well equipped with EVERY amenity, and the bed was just heavenly (almost as great as a Westin resort bed). The restaurant is equally as wonderful....with incomparable gourmet fare and attentive waitstaff. The entire hotel staff was so helpful to us in helping us find our way around the city - which, by the way, was pleasingly great for our first time there. The only complaint was the steep overnight parking fees.....

Tiny room, Gorgeous Common Spaces

We love the Heathman Hotel, it has terrific character and charm. That said, next time we go to Portland we will probably stay elsewhere and go have a drink and snack in the lovely bar( the happy hour cheapie menu had great stuff) Our room was really tiny, the bedspread was tatty, the furniture was frumpy and I think since we havent stayed there for so long we missed the remodel or were too soon for it. The deskman was divine, the waitresses and bartenders friendly...but we were still disappointed. The dining room has great food...

Best spot in Portland

by TripAdvisor Member mvgeek

Have stayed here many times over 10 years or so. Generally, my first and only choice in Portland.

Bad points: Broadway is very noisy on Fri & Sat nights. But the double windows block it out well, and air conditioning has never failed, so it shouldn't be a problem except for serious fresh-air fiends. Rooms are not very big. Unreasonably cramped bathrooms in the Symphony Suites.

The hotel restaurant is fancy and expensive but not at all outstanding. I always seem to get mediocre (at best) service there.

Good:
Excellent location on Broadway downtown. Fine shopping street; a walk of about half a mile takes you to Powell's incredible bookstore. Lighting in rooms is adequate for reading, too. Attractive lobby, quite beautiful lounge. Invariably courteous & helpful staff.

Rooms very comfortable if not large. Free Internet access (wired). For cleanliness & general non-dinginess, impeccable.

Boutique Charm in the City

I was very pleased with my stay at the Heathman. I have had lots of business associates stay at the Heathman so I thought I would give it a try. It is in a very good location and within walking distance of Portland shopping and downtown attractions. Although the staff is young, they are extremly courteous and professional. The concierge (also the person who checks you in) made dinner reservations for me without thinking twice. After you check in, your presonal concierge walks you to your room explaining the history of the hotel and where things are. Okay, the room is small, but then again, it is a historic building so you should expect a smaller room. The room is tastefully decorated, very pretty-- more than made up for the lack of space. I stayed in the Symphony Suite which faces a mural -- very quiet room. Lots of amenities -- french press coffee, tea, upgraded toiletries, earlplugs, nightly turn-down, luxury bed and linens. The Heathman is one of the best hotels I have stayed at which is quite a few!

Pros: Personal service, quiet, clean, excellent restaurant & lounge, luxury amenities, close to downtown shopping & restaurants

Cons: Smaller room

Disgruntled staff, misleading ads, awful GM.

by TripAdvisor Member JParisWest

We purchased a City Breaks (King room + $24 valet parking + $22 Continental breakfast) package, but the reservation sales lady had no idea where or when that breakfast might be served and directed us to email the rather busy concierge. The website’s Concierge Inquiries form produced a database error alert, so I used the “package details” [reservations@...] mailto link and got an Out of Office (for the next 10 days) reply. Neat! An [info@] link on the front page gets you a “no such user” reply, but the GM’s personal email address is also linked there so I forwarded my string of requests. After five days with no answer I called to cancel our reservation but Todd, the gem who answers the 800 number most weekday mornings, said that “Continental Breakfast” meant we’d accrue $22 per day in restaurant credits, $66 total to be used at any time during our stay. That sounded good enough. The GM later concurred, by email and by a letter waiting for us at the desk when we checked in.

The restaurant boasts a charming and professional staff. The menu is diverse, each item flawlessly executed. It was a joy to patronize, so we did, a lot. And paid for it twice. Our check-out invoice reflected NO credits. The desk clerk said he’d have to have his boss verify and authorize any credits due, but would leave a message on our home machine with details either way. He never called. The GM has yet to respond to my messages.

Our small non-smoking room wasn’t the smokiest I’ve ever been in, but happily all the rooms (even the tiniest [reputedly haunted] ones, _03 on each floor) feature windows that open. The bed linens are soft, and the hotel will provide a hypoallergenic pillow for those allergic to down (be ready for feathers in the matress and blanket). There is one “comfy” chair and one “for your briefcase” chair at a desk large enough for the lamp, coffee tray, and the hotel’s vinyl-clad menu of services. Stick those in a drawer if you brought your laptop and want to use the room’s Ethernet.
The bathrooms will not accommodate two petite bodies at once. There is one bathrobe/toiletries/whatever hook, and no countertop. BYO soap, shampoo and conditioner: The Citress stuff they provide is all pretty astringent, and left us with stinging eyes and dry brittle hair. Ick. The King room comes with a clock radio / cd player, which we used a lot as the walls are made of paper and the between-room doors act as echo chambers for sorority parties and/or early bird medical device salesmen (we had both).
Reservations include your choice of newspapers, as long as that choice is The Oregonian. If you remind the concierge that you ordered the NYT they will loudly proclaim that “Those are all sold out, but I can send someone out to get one for you, if you’d like.” By the third morning I felt like I was in the Monty Python “Cheese Shop” sketch.

Afternoon tea service was one of the chic touches that we thought would make this extended weekend feel like a pampered vacation. The newsletter on our pillow said that tea was served at 4pm in the lounge, but at 4:10pm we learned that it’s only served “seasonally,” which season the concierge could not define. (The legendary Happy Hour, another reason for our choosing this hotel, must follow a similar schedule.) There was never live jazz in the gorgeous, plush, and pin-drop-quiet-except-for-anxious-underserved-tourists lounge; except for some very young, very casual, very under-trained staff the public areas were tomb-like.
The wee-hours clerk doubles as the valet, and is way above top notch. The housekeeping staff are likewise very friendly and discreet. If only the regular valets and the majority of the front desk staff weren’t so volubly disgruntled. It’s easy to understand their disaffectedness and candor, though, if the GM treats his staff as he treats the guests. Note: the City Breaks package = rack rate + $24 for parking + $22. Find a better room deal, park at a garage for less, and pass the savings directly to the waitstaff.

You Gotta Go There!

by baroness001

"Food and Fun!"

Ok, I've lived here since 1971 and I grew up in suburban Chicago in a mostly Italian neighborhood, so I am VERY picky about Italian food! The best in town is what I cook in my own home kitchen (Mangia!), but I also enjoy eating at a restaurant in SW suburban Aloha called "Nonna Emilia's." To me, this is the most authentic Italian food in the entire metro area. Nice casual atmosphere, very reasonable prices, and the food, quite simply, is wonderful. You can phone them at (503) 649-2232. No, I don't work for them - I just think they're great! Want Thai food? "Typhoon! On Broadway" has some of the best and prices are very reasonable! (503) 224-8285 for reservations. Seafood is Portland's strong point! Try Jake's Crawfish for an authentic Portland dining experience! (503) 226-1419. Don't forget our local star chef, Caprial Pence! Caprial's Bistro (503) 236-6457. For fancy-fancy restaurants, try The Heathman Hotel Restaurant (503) 241-4100, The Benson Hotel's London Grill (503) 295-4110, and you'll find great food and a great piano bar at Wilf's in Union (Railroad) Station (503) 223-0700. Union Station is listed on The National Historic Registry. For family fare, try Izzy's Pizza and Buffet, Old Country Buffet, International House of Pancakes, and Elmer's Pancake and Steak House; all have several locations around town and in the suburbs. There are also dozens and dozens of fast food restaurants in the area and Jack In The Box's drive-through windows are open 24 hours most locations.

Again, I don't work for nor do I own an interest any of the properties listed - I just love living here!

Portland has many attractions but if you are here during late Spring and into Summer, you must go to the small but mighty Oaks Amusement Park in SE Portland at the East end of The Sellwood Bridge! All kinds of rides that you remember from childhood like The Scrambler, The Tilt-A-Whirl, bumper cars, a 360-degree single loop roller coaster, a ferris wheel, and so much more! There is a kiddie area including The Lady Bug Theatre, lots of "carnival food," an arcade area where you can win prizes, a picnic area, and an indoor roller skating rink. The Theatre and roller rink are open year-round. (This is also the site for The Multnomah County Fair during Labor Day Weekend.) Don't Miss "The Last Chance Summer Dance" featuring recording artists from the 50's and 60's! Admission to the park is free and ride prices vary. I love Oaks Park! (503) 233-5777.

Hoyt Arboretum, 175 acres of sheer beauty. (503) 228-8733.

OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) is a hoot! Don't miss The Omnimax Theatre or The USS Blueback Submarine! (503) 797-4000.

Oregon Zoo in Portland, with one of the world's finest elephant breeding programs and a great penguin pool! (503) 226-1561.

Pittock Mansion, where you can see how "The Other Half Lived" in the earliy years of the 20th Century. The Pittock's owned the local newspaper. Panoramic view of Portland, too! (503) 823-3624. (Grounds are free but house tours have a fee.)

Washington Park, 130 acres of Just Plain Gorgeous (c) including The Zoo, The International Rose Test Gardens, The Japanese Gardens, and The World Forestry Center. (503) 823-7529.

Help with first trip to Portland

by AlohaJim

Bringing family of four to Portland in August for 3 or 4 nights prior to settling daughter in at Willamette U. in Salem. Need help in deciding which area of city is best to stay in for first time visitors. Which hotels would be preferred choice for this area? Will probably rent car but not sure yet.
Would much appreciate any assistance from local folks re location/coice of hotel as well as any other suggestions or 'must do's' while in Portland. Really looking forward to visiting and the more info I can get prior to arrival, the better. Thanks!

Aloha,

by zuriga

My choice would be to stay in the downtown area. If you have a car, there's a beautiful Rose Garden not to far out.. if you're into that sort of thing. There's a wonderful, huge bookstore (Powell's) within walking distance of downtown.. right next door is a famous seafood restaurant. The Heathman Hotel is lovely but there are less expensive places to stay.

by TashieKitten

I suppose it would depend on your price range. There are a range of hotels downtown, where nearly everything is within walking distance (I run at lunch and have been ALL OVER the downtown area:rose garden, east side, PSU, chinatown, NW). The regular hotels from Motel 6 type places to the Hilton, Heathman or the two hostels that I know of in town, but aren't downtown. (One in NW and one in SE).
There are also more historic accomodations like the hotel mallory, which is also off the main drag or the Hotel Vintage Plaza,which is right on Broadway.

What are you looking for?

Re: Re: Help with first trip to Portland

by Shaft28

I'd suggest staying at the Heathman - they have some great special during the summer. Very nice hotel. Do not stay near the airport - not family friendly.
Check out my pages on Portland and Oregon - I take family and friends on regular tours of the area and have listed much of it there.
Have fun, it really is beautiful here.

by Flyboy9MR

If you want a lot to do... stay downtown - like at the Marriott. Walking distance to almost everything downtown has to offer. If you want cheaper, the hotels west of Portland off 26 has good rates.... go as far west as Tanasbourne (185th exit off 26)... Another ok place is Embassy near Washington Square.... but downtown has the most activities. Stay away from the extreme north side of downtown.... near 5th, 6th, Broadway is good.

Comments