750 Southwest Alder Street, Portland, Oregon, 97205, United States

Booking.com Westin.com Orbitz.com

Costs 78% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Westin Quality and Service

We enjoyed out stay at the Westin. The service was good and when the HVAC went out the staff went out of their way to make sure we were on the shady side of the building. They brought in a temporary AC unit and that helped a little. The downside is that there is a daily parking charge, waived for us because of the AC problem. It is very convenient to all the downtown attractions and restaurants.

• Who ate the M&Ms?

This was a decent hotel, but that's not what I paid for. Here are a few complaints:
    1) The room, particularly around the bed, smelled like a convalescent center. First hotel I've been in that smelled like a nursing home.
    2) At 9 a.m. we were awoken by repeated knocking at the door. I was half-naked and stumbled out of bed, unhappy to have been woken up so early after a special night out with my wife away from the kids. As I started to make my way to the door, the door began to open! Luckily I had latched the door.
    When I complained about this upon checkout, I was told that I should have put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. That is not what I expect to hear as a disgruntled customer, essentially, "It's your fault our housekeeping staff is rude."
    If I go to a nice restaurant, the last thing I expect is for the waiter to come around as soon as we're done with our meal (or before even!), trying to move us out to get the table free. That would be unacceptable, and so was this.
    3) A couple of days after our general room bill appeared on our credit card account, an additional $3.60 charge appeared from Westin Portland. The amount, however, is unimportant. The point is that, after already having been annoyed by the quality and service at the hotel, I then had to go out of my way to call and have the charge reversed. Apparently that's the cost of certain mini-bar items, and considering that we had no key to the mini-bar, I'm curious if the maid took a little snack for herself.
    To date, the charge has not been reversed and I suppose I'll have to call and complain again to have the charges finally taken care of.
    That said, the bathroom was lovely and, other than the horrible smell, the bed was comfortable.

Directions: Fantastic downtown location.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

The Westin Portland

This was a decent hotel in what looked like a somewhat sketchy neighborhood. The prices were reasonable, but that might have been because it was late May and the tumultuous spring is not an ideal time to be visiting the northwest. The rooms were on the small side, but everything was in working order. The restaurant was decent, nothing fancy like you will find in some of the Westin's and not as bland as many hotel restaurants have become either. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly as well.

One word of caution. Valet parking is extremely expensive. There was no self parking from what I could see either. You may want to try one of the parking garages down the street.

• Nice hotel with good location

Stayed here in October, 2004. Very nice hotel. Agree with other posts about bed linens and bathroom amenities--very plush. Yes, Portland is a wonderfully walkable city but this hotel is handy to Pioneer square, the train, Pearl District, and Powell's. I got a room with a crappy view of the inner 'courtyard' but had a late check-in so could have been luck of the draw. Restaurant next store serves a very nice breakfast- have the lox and bagels!

• mcpangie's Profile Photo

I Was Impressed With Shower Too

I'm always picky about beds and showers.

Unique Quality: The bathroom was a very relaxing set up. There was a shower stall and a bathtub. They had thick, comfy Egyptian cotton towels.

It is one of those places that warn if you don't throw the towels on the floor that they won't launder them. Something about conserving water. I couldn't help but consider that Reno hotels should have those placards. The Truckee River was nearly dry last fall. But, the Columbia River is HUGE. It's not like there is a water problem in Portland. So I figure they mean conserve soap and laundry time.

• mcpangie's Profile Photo

Luxury...

A little nicer than a cheap motel, but you pay for it. The room was over $200 a night after tax. Not per person, that was just the price.

And, the phone calls were 99 cents each, but the room had two lines so you could double the pleasure.

The room was wired with good Internet if you had a computer. Lots of business men in the nice sitting room downstairs.

Unique Quality: The bed was absolutely the best I've ever found in any hotel, anywhere... even hotels that were supposed to be this luxurious. I was impressed. I slept well. Anyway, nice everything.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Everything downtown is in walking distance!

One of the most important things to look for in a downtown hotel is location. The last thing you want to do is spend your whole day trying to find parking, or how to get to your final destination for dinner and or drinks. You do not have to worry about that with the Westin Portland. As you will read from several other tips I have made about Portland, this is a very friendly walking town.

Unique Quality: The Heavenly bed was worth every penny.

More about Westin Portland

Not that Great....

I had stayed at the Westin Portland around 2000. From what I remembered, this hotel was a lot better the first time around. I chose the Westin for our Easter Weekend. Their heavenly bed is not as comfortable as I remembered. But this could be from wear and tear throughout the years. The blankets had a few specks of what looked like dried blood on it. The coffee maker was very dirty and had obviously not been cleaned for some time. After maid service the second day, we returned to find out bed nicely made. The only problem was that there was hair all over the bed!! It might have been our hair for all I know, but it just didn't look very professional.

On a more positive note, the valet service and front desk staff were very helpful and professional.

I was pleasantly surpised given some of the negative feedback here...

by TripAdvisor Member jmwvancouver

We stayed for three nights at the Westin Portland. Things that were good: friendly and professional service, very fast room service (try the meatloaf - easily large enough for two and thus a steal at $15.50), rooms were very clean (except for minor mildew on shower tiles), large bathroom with separate shower and tub (the extra room was helpful in our case as we had a 2 year old child to bathe each day), quiet (we did not have an adjoining room), excellent location in the downtown core, free high speed internet. Could have been better: the room was a bit small, and our toilet plugged up twice (I think due to the low-flow flush of 1.6 gallons as opposed to the "standard" 3.5 gallons, not because we have any unusual eating or flushing habits!), resulting in the maid having to come in with the plunger. One piece of advice I read on this site that saved us $: park in the Alder St. parkade just down the street (2 minute walk) from the hotel rather than using the valet parking. The Alder Street parkade is where the Marriott valet service parks cars and, I believe, is open and monitored 24/7. Overall, this hotel easily met our expectations and I would recommend it. Keep in mind that the Marriott, Heathman, Hilton and others are all within a few blocks of each other so location among these should not be a determining factor.

Westin Boutique

by TripAdvisor Member Sandman35

Stayed here during the Portand Marathon. I would stay here in a heartbeat. Outside of the Heavenly Bed and Bath, this hotel had a lot to offer. By no means a giant building, but rather a Westin with a boutique feel. Loaction is ideal. Close to Nordstrom, Banana etc. Great places for lunch on the same street. Within walking distance to the fun Pearl District. I would recommend you don't pay $22 for Valet Parking. Instead one block away is a safe public parkade called 'Star Parkade" (this is where the Westin Valet overflow is). If you shop, the stores will even validate your parking ticket. 24 hours cost me $1!!! The rooms are spacious and the staff is very friendly.

Comments