9920 NE Cascade Parkway, Portland, Oregon, 97220, United States
Orbitz.com Travelocity Expedia.com

More about aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station

Cheerful and Bright Oasis from the Normal Airport Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member brunoise_9

Cheerful and Charming modern scandinavian style, the aloft Portland airport hotel was everything we needed to get away from it all and create an alternate reality to reconnect for the weekend. Very comfortable room with crisp cotton bedding kept us snuggled up and ensured a relaxing and comfortable getaway. The hotel is very close to the train into the city center and has great parking if you are driving. The staff is cheerful and helpful. The outdoor seating area is cozy and has a view of the indoor pool.
We couldn't have picked a better place to get away from it all in Portland. We will stay here again and didn't want to leave. Oh, and the hotel smells awesome.

very hip, comfortable hotel at a great value near airport and public transpo.

by TripAdvisor Member MTgirl4

I was pleasantly surprised to find a very cool/modern hotel near the airport and shopping centers, while being so affordable. It beats any other chain hotel out there. The aLoft is a spin off of W Hotels, which explains why so cool. Features the most unique room layout I've seen, but still very small. Nice lobby area and bar. Portland's Max Line train has a stop right outside the hotel, and takes you directly to downtown PDX in less than 20 minutes. Beware taking the train back to hotel after a night out! After 10:30pm, no more trains run back to hotel!! New big-box stores shopping center is across the street, as well as IKEA. Only negative aspect: distance from downtown and some airport noise (to be expected for an airport hotel!).

Great hotel, but watch out for the bait and switch prices!!

by TripAdvisor Member Hawaii_Haole

We usually stay at the nearby Ramada (have for 15 years), and usually stay one night with park & fly. We decided to try the Aloft. It's a great hotel. Very well appointed, very friendly staff, very comfortable. Excellent shuttle (it's "on-demand" which is much better than others that force you to make a "reservation" for the shuttle at a particular time).

In any case, the Aloft shuttle service is great.

What I didn't like is the way the rates change like the weather! We stayed one night with park & fly and it was $122 with tax. I just tried to make a reservation for another trip in April, just 6 weeks after staying at Aloft, and the agent first quoted $159/night ($178 with tax). When I questioned him, he quickly said, "Oh, wait aminute, I just found a better rate of $144 ($162 with tax)". I told him we had just paid $122 and he said that there was no way he could come close to that.

So I checked online. They advertise $89/night, but those rates "aren't available for the dates selected", and the rates the agent quoted were the same as online.

Come on, Starwood...in a down economy, you need to be more competative than this!

We travel frequently, and spend a fair amount of money on this type of lodging. We're experienced enough to know when a bait and switch is happening.

I was ready to start giving my business to Aloft, but after being treated like this, it's obvious that they aren't willing to compete for my regular business. We'll go back to the Ramada. They always give us good service, good rooms, a free shuttle, and the price is predictable, and they don't play these kinds of games.

Nice new hotel; some limitations for the business traveler

by TripAdvisor Member JDSnoho

As a business traveler who comes to Portland a lot, I decided to stay at this new hotel just for fun since I so often stay at other hotels downtown. (The presence of a Buffalo Wild Wings nearby didn't hurt - I'm a spicy food addict.) In future I anticipate I'll choose other locations if I'm in town for business. Due to its proximity to PDX, if travel plans called for a layover in Portland, I'd definitely stay here.

There are some nice touches that W has implemented here. I liked the room setup, with a very comfortable king bed, large flat screen on the wall, and available inputs so you can hook up a computer, DVD or other source to that TV. The bathroom is a little different, with only a shower curtain separating the shower area from the rest of the bathroom. Even using the curtain didn't stop water from running all over the floor and even continuing around the corner to the sink area. (As a lawyer this looked to me like a lawsuit waiting to happen, but what do I know about hip modern hotel design?) Since it's new everything is nice and clean. So no "complaints" about the room per se.

The only "complaint" I would really have about this hotel was the noise generated by the elevators. Other comments have focused on noise from nearby PDX and the light rail "Max" line, but honestly, I really didn't notice that. The elevators going up and down at all hours of the night, but especially in the early morning hours, made a racket that led me to wonder if the motors / workings for the elevator were all located directly under my bed. My assumption is that this would only be heard at one end of the hotel (perhaps just my room) but I'd be curious to know whether others had this experience.

I also liked the brand new free pool table in the bar area with lots of new sticks. When I arrived in the evening after work there was some nice live music in the lounge area. It's clear that a good amount of thought has been given to the little details. Proximity to the Cascade Station shopping center provides some dining and shopping options (Red Robin, Panda Express, Best Buy, etc.).

It seemed like everyone at the front desk was a trainee, but since this is a new hotel I won't dwell on that.

If the nightly room rates were lower I would consider staying here again on my many trips to Portland, but the rates aren't sufficiently lower than those of the downtown Portland hotels to merit the extra time on the light rail. But for many people, this hotel will be right on the money.

Loved this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member crystaldreams

This trendy hotel was a real surprise. They were offering a promotional rate and we stayed for around $75 a night. It is located within a five minute walk from the light rail station that takes you into Portland. There are good places to eat nearby and the hotel itself has an area that you can buy salads, wraps, yogurt, fruit, etc. The hotel shuttle worked great; even at the extreme hours we arrived and departed (midnight and four in the morning). The friendly staff made check in a breeze and the bar was open for a late night drink. The room was laid out very well. Although not spacious it was plenty of room for us. Big flat screen TV was centered on the wall in between two windows. Plug in station to charge just about anything was available at the built in desk. The shower and toilet were in a separate room from the sink and had all the usual amenities. Really liked the interior finishes of both the room and public spaces. There was exercise and pool areas but didn't have time to use either. The only down side was the second night we got ignored at the bar and finally walked out. We went down to Buffalo Wild Wings instead and had a great time. Later in the evening we gave the bar a second chance and everything was fine. We would absolutely go back to this place again.

Cool space age hotel, clean, and NEW

by TripAdvisor Member Badputtr

My cabbie knew there was a new hotel where I told him to drive, but he'd never been there (too new). We decided to take a cab rather than the planned Max ride due to a luggage issue which delayed us an hour. We arrived at 9:00 p.m. and departed at 6:00 a.m. We didn't see another guest. We speculated we were the only ones on our floor as we left the only wheel trails on the hallway carpet. The room is well designed and trendy. It had everything we needed and expected, except the heat/AC didn't have a controllable fan to generate white noise. I thought that was odd for an airport hotel or any hotel for that matter. My wife likes it to drown out my snoring. The neighborhood was very quiet. You could hear the occasional car driving the street below in front. I couldn't hear planes landing though- Very Good for an airport hotel!

My wife described it as 'space age' while my 17 y/o son took pictures with his phone to send to friends. He took none at the two hotels earlier in the week. The elevator floors are a trip!
Staff was great!. They have a shuttle to the airport.

I'm a business traveller that stays at the Courtyard down the street. In the end I'm looking for clean, soft towels, fast internet, nice bed, a shower head above 6' and good water pressure. All were met with flying colors. Once you get past the space age, you'll realize they do things well beneath the trendy veneer. I'll stay at A Loft in the future.

A Nice Change to a Typical Hotel View

by TripAdvisor Member ts1785

I was traveling for a business trip in southern Oregon and we flew into Portland. Two of our party stayed here before and it looked very trendy from the lobby so the other half of our party decided to stay on the last night of Portland. We stayed there March 26,2009 and it was a nice change to what a typical hotel room normally looks like. This room was very clean and moderned. I would definitely stay again, it is close to the airport and only 18 minutes from downtown Portland which was very easy to get to. If you want to you can even take the train downtown for a some price.

I want to go back ASAP

by TripAdvisor Member wineanddine

Extremely clean, modern hotel. Everyone was polite and fun to talk to. Check is was really FAST and the room was OUTSTANDING! Extremely clean and well thought out.
The bartender knew her wines- recommended the Annie Pinot- Delicious..Room very user friendly felt like HOME.

Nice Place

by TripAdvisor Member HawkEye1997

Nice and clean, new hotel we stayed here for the weekend. The was a liitle small, but the 42 inch flat screen, wireless internet and the comfortable bed made me forget about it. The staff was nice and friendly, just a little slow. There is no restaurant in Hotel, but there are places to eat and a Starbucks with in walking distance. It's right accross the steet from a mall. We would stay again.

Fun hotel for business / families

by TripAdvisor Member zoshyii

I honestly wasn't expecting much when I booked the hotel. Typical hotels near airports are strictly business and are no-frills in terms of style and amenities. This is not your typical airport hotel. The hotel has the touch and feel of its hip older brother, the W. One element that was lacking were people. There was good music playing from a guest DJ, but not more than 10 people in the lobby / xyz bar area. The difference between the aloft and the W are probably due to location rather than amenities. For this reason, the hotel is suitable for business travelers and families since it is not really a hotspot for the locals (at least not on the weekday). Unlike the W, the wireless internet is included in the nightly rate, and service from staff was prompt and personal.

One complaint I have in the room is that the glass shower door does not form a tight enough seal to keep all of the water inside the shower stall, causing small puddles of water to pool up after each shower. Also, my wireless internet signal was a bit weak (40%) in the room, but I was able to use the internet without any issues. The TV is great, though some channels were non-HD and distorted to fit the widescreen.

Comments